Thread: Baldurs gate 3 is coming

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries
    When the Old Guard dies,
    The cowards in the shadow rise,
    Their vile plots of cowardice and greed,
    Poison the land and nightmares arise,
    To terrorize and murder the common man.

(and as usual, please forgive typos and crankiness if possible)

Mangina at large.

Re: Baldurs gate 3 is coming

The Reddit for BG has been going nuts over this. I wonder what ruleset they're going to use, and where the series will go? The Bhaalspawn saga seems to be over - you either give up the power or ascend, and in the P&P game the canon Bhaalspawn was killed off to bring Bhaal back. So just random Sword Coast adventures? Start at level one? If they do start at one, I hope they have enough "town chores" to get the character to two. Level one characters are stupidly fragile.

Mangina at large.

Info dump happened today. Teaser trailer:

Will NOT launch on the Epic Games store: Steam, GoG yes. Not a Stadia exclusive - will be on PC as well.

Multiple articles/interviews:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...-original-sin/
    https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate...ffer-pcgamertw
    https://www.gameinformer.com/e3-2019...-fifth-edition
    https://www.usgamer.net/articles/lar...medium=twitter

Info from these:

That thing in the sky in the video? It's a Nautiloid. Spelljammer ahoy!
    Looks to be fifth edition D&D ruleset, adapted. Talked about how missing a swing is shitty, so they changed how that worked.
    The game will be the "sequel" to Baldur’s Gate: Descent Into Avernus, which comes out in September (pen and paper adventure). So it's after the death of the protagonist in BG1&2 (100 in-world years after originals).
    High-end graphics, it won't be an isomorphic game.
    Will have multiplayer/co-op.
    Currently no release date. Has been in development since 2017, 300 people total (200 in-house, 100 external) on the project.
    Sounds like a fair number of systems from Divinity: Original Sin 2 will make their way into the game.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

BG1 and 2 are both casualties of my videogame serial noncompletionism. I got decently far in both stories but never finished either.

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

Mileron
    I ended up hating 2nd Ed AD&D rule set, sigh which kind of put me off BG2 much as I adored the game, the dumb rules like for rogues PO'd me off
    but the story/characters were amazing

Delores
    MUAHAHAHAHA!!!
    *insane DM laugh*

NUKE THE SITE FROM ORBIT!!

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Gross. Not into body horror. Probably a good trailer for anyone who is.

No isometric view? Peculiar. Not only is it what fans of the series are used to, but it's what Divinity OS2 itself is. So maybe it will be Dragon Age Origins style?

Got curious about the Epic Games Store snub, so looked it up and found this quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Larian Guy
    “I don’t see why not; I don’t believe in exclusives, I prefer to be everywhere.”
    Shots fired.

I wonder if they had been approached previously and were offended by the offer of funding for exclusivity, or if they are just protesting Epic's actions lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Mileron View Post
    BG1 and 2 are both casualties of my videogame serial noncompletionism. I got decently far in both stories but never finished either.
    I've said it before, but BG1 is one of the few games I bounced hard off of and didn't finish until some years later. By the time I was ready to give BG2 a chance it was too old and I couldn't deal with the dated resolution/interface. Thought about trying the updated version, but I don't have time for that. I'm never going to like it as much as its fans do.
    Last edited by Wool; June 6th, 2019 at 07:09 PM.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wool View Post
    I've said it before, but BG1 is one of the few games I bounced hard off of and didn't finish until some years later. By the time I was ready to give BG2 a chance it was too old and I couldn't deal with the dated resolution/interface. Thought about trying the updated version, but I don't have time for that. I'm never going to like it as much as its fans do.
    If there were a decent Let's Play where the player was basically silent, I might watch it except for the fact that there's so much reading required.

Shame there's no novelization of either.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Mileron View Post
    If there were a decent Let's Play where the player was basically silent, I might watch it except for the fact that there's so much reading required.
    I hear you. Nothing turns me off more when I want to look up a specific section from a game than to hear some jackamole going on about something I don't care about. There are personalities I sometimes enjoy watching play a game, though I'm typically there for them first and the game second.

For the record, a Let's Play without commentary is technically called a Longplay. You do not see many of them because they cannot be monetized.* Gameplay by itself is not considered yours, you have to have commentary with either educational or entertainment value to get away with posting it. *Though I suppose they also hold less value so are less likely to be promoted and shared when they do exist.

I know this because I did a full playthrough recording of a few games several years ago and looked up monetization rules.

Mangina at large.

Quote Originally Posted by Wool
    I'm one of those fans - just finishing up another run now. It has a lot of replayability because of the variety of companions, classes/races, and interactions between them. I'm not a big fan of BG1 - I find the lower level game to be slower and a bit more tedious - but BG2 is good, especially with all the stuff the Extended Edition added. The new content Beamdog added between the two games, SoD, is also pretty good, although less replayable and more linear than many would like. They also cleaned up the interface a fair amount, although pathing in BG1/BG2 is still pretty atrocious.

Mileron - there are novels. They don't really capture the game well, but they exist:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/w...ilogy_(novels)

There's a ton of new info on the Baldur's Gate Reddit. A board that normally gets a half dozen posts per day or less has multiple pages of new posts in a day, yikes. My system for reading online: I make a new tab for anything that sounds interesting rather than reading it immediately, until I get to Graffe's. Then I review Graffe's threads, reading/deleting any of my tabs that have something to do with something posted here. After that, I start reading my tabs, and if anything seems interesting or relevant I post it here. So I'll post any of the Reddit stuff later, if there is anything.

Mangina at large.

Doesn't look like much. Here's a link to the summary thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate...ls_megathread/

Lots of people complaining that this game considers the crappy novels and the more recent retcon of everything canon, but you had to know that was coming.

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

it IS a Nautiloid!

WOOT!

YA FUCKIN' DANCER!!!
    When the Old Guard dies,
    The cowards in the shadow rise,
    Their vile plots of cowardice and greed,
    Poison the land and nightmares arise,
    To terrorize and murder the common man.

(and as usual, please forgive typos and crankiness if possible)

Oni
    Blog Entries

I'm hype for this - they're really pushing 6 months ahead of the new book, so this is gonna be a big one.

To be honest - I don't know how they're really going to do this when BG1 and 2 were really about The Bhaalspawn. 5th is currently a lot about dragging out a lot of old stuff for another go instead of making new stories...so I have no idea what they would do with BG3, but it better be good, and it better be really, really good RP.
    "Don't yell at S-D for using words you're not completely sure of, it embarrasses you. He's right anyway." - Alikat

Mangina at large.

The extra traffic in the BG Reddit forum is bringing all sorts of people in, including memers:

8vyyyg33blz21.jpg