Thread: June '19 Release Thread

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

June '19 Release Thread

I had expected the next few months to be barren, but there are actually a few interesting things coming out this month.

The biggest game of the month is unquestionably Super Mario Maker 2. The first game became an instant classic on a console almost no one owned. If they can make up for the loss of the TV+tablet dynamic, I see no reason why a Switch version won't be even bigger. For those unaware, Mario Maker is an easy to use toolkit that lets you create and share your own Mario levels. You can get as crazy as you want, and some of the previous game's creations were brilliant.

The PS4 is also getting an exclusive from the team that made the Yakuza games, Judgement. Same universe, different story and different gameplay. You play a disgraced lawyer turned detective, trying to solve a mysterious case of serial murders. I think this looks very promising, but I worry it will struggle to even maintain niche status. The name is bland, there is little branding or marketing power. It's only hope is to be discovered the same way stuff like Nier was: overwhelming word of mouth.

We've also got a high profile indie release this month: the long awaited Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. This was a Kickstarter game by Koji Igarashi, known for working on the Castlevania series, after he left Konami. It's designed in the same style, and has been eagerly anticipated by fans of the genre. While in the process of creating this game they released an 8-bit style in the same universe that was very well regarded, so I'm not too worried about this one.

We've also got a couple returns/remakes of classic franchises. If you like fighting games, look forward to Samurai Shodown. I feel like even with fighting game fans this one was kind of niche and hard to find, but it's pretty highly regarded by people who did play it. If you like kart racers, you've got Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled to look forward to instead. I don't know anything about this game (other than genre and cast, obviously) but it's got some pretty die hard fans that insist this is a big deal.

Finally, the 3DS is getting yet another major game release, Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth. Persona Q is a spinoff of the Persona series by merging Persona characters, themes, enemies, etc with Etrian Odyssey gameplay. EO being a classic dungeon crawler series also published by Atlus, known for harsh difficulty and a system in which you map out floors manually as you explore. The previous game included the cast from Persona 3 and Persona 4, and this one is adding the cast of Persona 5.

Edit: Oh heck, I forgot one. The Sunken City. I have no idea if this is going to be good enough to be worth mentioning, but I think the premise is something some of you might find interesting. It's basically a Lovecraft horror game heavily focusing on investigation/mystery and featuring a sanity resource. This game could eat Judgement's lunch if it's good. I'm a little nervous about performance.

Spoiler for June releases:

PC

• Heavy Rain (June) - interactive drama

Multiplatform

• Samurai Shodown (June) - fighting
    • The Sinking City (June) - adventure
    • Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (June) - Metroidvania/action adventure

PS4

• Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (June) - kart racing
    • Judgement (June) - action adventure
    • The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II (June) - jrpg

Xbox

Switch

• Samurai Shodown (June) - fighting
    • Mario Maker 2 (June) - platformer/level creator
    • Slay the Spire (June) - roguelike card game

3DS

• Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth (June) - dungeon crawling rpg

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Re: June '19 Release Thread

Is anyone looking forward to this month's releases?

I'm pretty excited about several of them. I never got a Wii U so never got to join in on the Mario Maker madness. I've been looking forward to Judgement ever since it's reveal trailer. I love Castlevania games. Heck even Persona Q2 is tempting. Luckily I don't have to choose because I don't have the money for any of them. Ha ha ha ha... ha.... ha.

PS+

PS4
    Borderlands: The Handsome Collection (Pre-sequel and Borderlands 2)
    Sonic Mania

Games with Gold

Xone
    NHL '19
    Rivals of Aether
    Portal
    Earth Defense Force 2017

Good month for subscription services. Borderlands is popular (if cheap on PC), Sonic Mania is highly regarded. Pretty sure NHL '19 was also highly regarded. Rivals of Aether is a Smash Brothers style game for people that don't have a Nintendo console.

Trailers:

For Mario Maker, instead of reposting the reveal trailer from the Nintendo Direct thread, I looked up a video of someone showcasing standout levels.

Last edited by Wool; May 31st, 2019 at 05:37 AM.

Buckeye Wizard

The Sinking City looks pretty cool to me.
    Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

Sinking City?!

NUKE THE SITE FROM ORBIT!!!!!
    When the Old Guard dies,
    The cowards in the shadow rise,
    Their vile plots of cowardice and greed,
    Poison the land and nightmares arise,
    To terrorize and murder the common man.

(and as usual, please forgive typos and crankiness if possible)

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Previously announced but I didn't know the release date for it until E3, Cadence of Hyrule comes out this month.

In a surprising move, Nintendo let someone else make a game using one of their core IPs. Cadence of Hyrule is a Zelda game based off of Crypt of the Necrodancer, a roguelike rhythm dungeon crawler. Like other games in the genre, you explore randomized dungeons and enemies move when you move. Unlike those games, you have to stick with the rhythm of the background music.

I personally found it very difficult, but I can't deny the Zelda version looks pretty great.