Thread: Are gated communities bad for cities?

Elder Arcanist

Are gated communities bad for cities?

Are gated communities bad for cities?

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Re: Are gated communities bad for cities?

After watching the video -- which is pretty well-done, all things considered -- I'd still say they're bad for a vision of civic life involving busy streets, social interaction and a wide variety of commercial, residential and cultural offerings.

But not everyone shares that vision, and as someone who works in a big city on the East Coast and worked and lived for years in a big city on the West Coast, I can see why people would not want that lifestyle. Even if you never encounter crime, cities are messy, chaotic and stressful. Yeah, you have more choices for eating and cultural activities, but people can get that simply by visiting; there's no particular need to live within walking distance of a museum or restaurant in order to enjoy it, especially if you have easy access to mass transit from the exurbs or even suburbs.

I also wonder if the video author is confusing cause and effect. Do gated communities reduce tolerance, or do less tolerant people create gated communities? Will doing away with gated communities reduce the intolerance of people? I have my doubts. Living in a city won't make someone suddenly love homeless people asking for money. It won't make them happy with being surrounded by people not speaking their language. It won't make them content with crap on the street or noise all around. It won't make them better people; might make them angrier, though.
    Last edited by PPatty; May 29th, 2019 at 11:04 AM.

I am going to say no because the kind of person who moves into a gated community is the kind of person who would never want interact with anyone anyway its why they went gated. They are not the kinds of folks who want to walk down to local shops, They drive their range rovers to Wegmans and Whole Foods.

And as said above cities are accessible usually, When I lived in Connecticut I could be in NYC in 90min on a train. Where I am now I can be into Philadelphia in 30min by car and train is probably equal to that with cheaper parking. And given the home prices in gateds, If these people moved into the city odds are they would be in a high rise condo living effectively the same way. In some ways id say gated communities in the burbs with easy access to trains might help the cities as they could help slow gentrification which is in many ways attempting to bring the gated community into the urban center.
    Last edited by FilanFyretracker; May 29th, 2019 at 09:47 AM.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist

I had thought of gated communities as much smaller than the ones mentioned in the video. I have relatives who live in one that is just 10 or so houses on a private road behind a gate, no other amenities. In that case it doesn't seem to have a large impact on their lifestyle.

I do think being around a diverse group tends to promote tolerance, at least in young people.

Forum Sorcerer
    Lurking from the shadows

Quote Originally Posted by Deabn View Post
    I had thought of gated communities as much smaller than the ones mentioned in the video. I have relatives who live in one that is just 10 or so houses on a private road behind a gate, no other amenities. In that case it doesn't seem to have a large impact on their lifestyle.

I do think being around a diverse group tends to promote tolerance, at least in young people.
    Out West there can be hundreds of houses in a gated community(also HOA controlled).
    I believe they are a slight crime deterrence. Because you can't get past the guard station without knowing someone inside or the community code. At the same time those are easily obtained. ( at this point I'd pose a grub hub amazon delivery person(pick your favorite gig based delivery).Other wise they are a false security blanket.

I don't think they segregate from a non-gated community as the barrier is if you can rent/ or own a house in the area. I was in a remote community at one time(500 houses), (not gated) was plenty of diversity within. We knew if outsiders were present. You just didn't go that far out unless you had business or lived there. I have also lived in a gated apartment complex.We had internal and external crimes. Someone shot at the complex from outside the walls/gate. A lady was re-occurring getting drunk and shouting obscenities in the middle of the night ended up with swat taking her down. Again there was a very diverse group living there the only thing we shared was that we could afford the apartment rent.

I beileve the main purpose of a gated community is to give the illusion of security.
    Greed is for amateurs. Chaos, disorder, anarchy...now that's FUN!

Kirin Tor:
    Toccke- Archmage of Gnomeregan (retired)
    Shlemm-Rogue of grand mischief(retired)
    Dorra - High Priestest of Iron Forge (RIP)

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosL01 View Post
    I beileve the main purpose of a gated community is to give the illusion of security.
    That's part of it, but the video isn't wrong in listing separation and exclusivity first. People live in gated communities not to possibly deter just crooks, but also riff-raff in general. The residents know that their fence won't keep out any truly determined violent criminals, but as long as it keeps out door-to-door solicitors, beggars and poor people, and encompasses sedate, well-kept spaces, they're fine with that. In a sense, people who live in gated communities subscribe to the broken-windows theory of crime; as far as they're concerned, a place that's orderly and clean will naturally have less bad stuff going on.
    Last edited by PPatty; May 29th, 2019 at 04:15 PM.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Deabn View Post
    I am of a similar mind. While intolerance might be what inspires people to create or live in a gated community, the gated community itself also acts as a barrier that prevents them from ever growing or changing. And what of their children? You aren't born intolerant, but you can certainly learn it if you aren't exposed to other people.

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by Wool View Post
    I am of a similar mind. While intolerance might be what inspires people to create or live in a gated community, the gated community itself also acts as a barrier that prevents them from ever growing or changing. And what of their children? You aren't born intolerant, but you can certainly learn it if you aren't exposed to other people.
    It goes both ways -- you aren't necessarily born tolerant either. Some folks learn intolerance after being exposed to other people.

My band got booked to play Canyon Lake, the initial city mentioned in this video, about 10 or 11 years ago.

We played at the bar across the street from the primary southwest entrance and we didn't really think much of it. But we listened to what a couple people who were regulars say that many of the women would go there just to hookup and cuck their men.

Real weird shit. I wish I remembered some more about the conversation we had with the waitress, but at the time, I just didn't think much of it; it was a wall and a gate which I saw. So what? Looked like any other small gated community. Now, looking at the map, it is fucking huge!

There are a couple of similar ones throughout SoCal, but none quite of CL's magnitude.