Thread: Dragon Age 4 Development Canceled and Rebooted

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Dragon Age 4 Development Canceled and Rebooted

I very nearly put this in the other Bioware thread. Hot on the heels of the deep dive into the problems with Anthem, Schreier delivered again with an expose on Dragon Age 4 instead. I figured this game in particular is much more interesting to some of you, and I didn't want you to miss it if you skipped the Anthem thread.

Kotaku: The Past and Present of Dragon Age 4

Here's the short version:

• Dragon Age 4 has been in development for several years, but as has happened with so many other EA story driven games recently, it was canned and rebooted with a new direction.
    • As a result, several of the remaining well-known employees at the company have left.
    • Developers were convinced they had learned their lesson from Inquisition. Dragon Age 4 was going to be smaller in scope, but with more reactive environments and npcs.
    • Development was halted when team members were called over to try and help fix Andromeda, and again with Anthem.
    • It was ultimately canceled and rebooted in order to meet EA's recent mandate that all their games be a "live service" that kept players engaged over longer periods of time than a single story would.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's possible to still make a good game, even with corporate bullshit mandates, but man is it disheartening. We probably could have had a new Dragon Age game next year, but who knows how long it will be now.

Quote Originally Posted by excerpt
    A large chunk of Joplin would center on heists. The developers talked about building systemic narrative mechanics, allowing the player to perform actions like persuading or extorting guards without the writers having to hand-craft every scene. It was all very ambitious and very early, and would have no doubt changed drastically once Joplin entered production, but members of the team say they were thrilled about the possibilities.
    Why does that sound familiar? Because it's the same general stuff we were hearing about Amy Hennig's canceled Star Wars game. Why was that game cancelled again? Oh because EA wanted to reboot it as a live service game? Good job EA, you're killing it. And by it, I mean promising single player experiences that people actually cared about in favor of, well I don't know because you still haven't released a damn game in this sphere for us to know if it ever payed off.

But don't worry, at least the accountants get to write off all the previous work and the costs won't show up in the budget expenses for the new product! EA gonna EA.
    Last edited by Wool; April 13th, 2019 at 06:04 PM.

Buckeye Wizard

Re: Dragon Age 4 Development Canceled and Rebooted

Yeah, sad. Dragon Age is one of my favorite trilogies.
    Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

Dragon Age is my fave SINGLE game
    Like Highlander, there is only fucking ONE....

EA are scum and their corporation deserves to be anally raped to death by psychopathic mutant Tribble-Brillo Pad crossbreeds!!

EA has taken over destroyed SO many studios and franchises they should be looked on as the "Third Reich" of computer gaming, sigh

Buckeye Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Silverblade-T-E View Post
    Dragon Age is my fave SINGLE game
    Like Highlander, there is only fucking ONE....

I'd still rank Mass Effect as my #1 favorite.

Dragon Age right behind with then probably Skyrim and Deus Ex.

Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

oops lol, didn't mean "fave"
    "a" fave not THE fave

Skyrim, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Fallouts (except 76, ugh), Civ 5, Mass Effect 1 and 2 and most of #3, Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale series
    are my faves

mass Effect 2 and Deus Ex HR are IMHO, film like in their excellence and immersion!