Thread: A new project - 21.7 gallon Aqua Japan

A new project - 21.7 gallon Aqua Japan

After my blue hippo tang died earlier this year (hand fed, very chill... Very sad), i decided to go back to basics, downsize and move everything to a smaller tank.

It makes it much easier to move, eventually, as we plan on moving again in the next year, so it is all good in the end.

This is a tank which I won at my most recent fish club meet at our semi annual Raffle meet. All participants get entered into the auction, it was the first prize drawn, and I won it.

It is a beautiful frameless tank, and I have *plans* for it.

That being said, I thought up a number of configurations for it, and decided on a metal powder coated stand and "skinning" it.

I have not used any of my carpentry tools, now, in over a year and really didnt pay attention to their lack of maintenance. I probably could have fixed the bulk of the skin up tonight, but had to get my saw configured right and relearn its sweet spots.

It doesn't look like much, but i should have it up and running in the month, and then after a month of cycling, get it stocked.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Humble & proud of it!
    pseudo-intellectual elitist

Re: A new project - 21.7 gallon Aqua Japan

I look forward to seeing what you do w/it Tinth. Now I have internet again, I need to post pics of my 3 1/2 gallon tank I got at PetSmart. TAH!

So here is my pictoral progress since posting above.

I went through a couple of paneling configurations in my head, mostly plywood, but i am not the greatest at freehand mitering, and the miter saw I most recently purchased still has some kinks to work out.

I liken it to one of my favorite saxes that plays in tune on about 7 of its notes, and the remaining 5 outside of altissimo, are just a little bit predictable.

I figured it would be fun to do as much with this new miter saw as I could, predictably, and squared it to the best of my ability, and started cutting 1x furs and boards from 2 to 4 and creating a hybrid concept between crate/dovetail and jigsaw puzzle.

After getting the concept fine tuned in my head, my next step was to drill this tank to allow it a sump. I was very nervous, as this tank is one which I had not met anyone who had drilled it before. Even the manufacturer and its distributor (aqua japan) were both very wary of my interest in doing so.

I managed to do it without cracking it. Just an inexpensive $2 diamond hole saw/bit and got that sucker cut with the aid of some water, plumbers putty, and a stencil I made with a spare board and another hole saw.

I played with some old rock which I had and drilled using a masonry bit, what I had, into sizes which would allow 1/2 pvc in to both hold frame as well as filter the tank through the sump.

I did not care for the aquascape for which I had and put a message out to some fellow aquarists and found the wholesaler for a bunch of guys, including the las vegas "tanked" crew.

25 dollars later (a fucking STEAL in this industry) and 20 pounds of rock later, I had some concepts ready.

This guy had over a ton of live rock for me to choose from. This was a gold mine. I hope he is still in business when I go back to building a larger reef in a couple of years.

All the rigamarole later, I got to building the skin.

Sanded. Glued, Stressed, stained, glurd again, sanded, waxed, checked, sanded again, stressed again, sanded, stained, sanded, stained again, stressed glued, stained, sanded and waxed again.

I need to finish one more panel, and then build just a little more "infrastructure" inside the stand, and then I will be good to go.

I have, perhaps, another month of work ahead of me, and I would like to build an additional electrical box into this build, but that might require too much work for me to truly keep my impatient interests at bay.

That being said... Pics.

Stencil, tape, drill, clean, bulkhead, pvc, rock.

Concept, cut, glue, sand, wax...

"hmm...."

Cut all panel pieces, stain, check fit.. Check fit...

"shit. My floor is growing.... Shit....."

Concept.... Contrasy.. Lighting.. Gloss.... Solution!

BURNISHING (artificially) with DARKER STAIN.

Rinse, repeat, all the above...

Old panel, new panel, original material which I worked with.

Skin lining up, but panels not quite aligned with stand.

MORE WORK TOMORROW!

this is where I stand.

(edited because some photos did not upload)
    Last edited by Tinthalas Tigris; March 28th, 2019 at 10:58 PM.

I was sneezed on yesterday by individuals a total of 13 times. Needless to say, i came home sneezing myself, and went straight to bed after work.

I did no work on my stand or tank on Saturday. Today, however, i decided to purchase my first set of digital calipers and measured out a couple of errors in my carpentry and went to work at fixing them.

I haven't used my oscillating tool in over a year (what my friends and family call my vibrator) and I wasnt much in the mood for cutting with any of my saws, so i made the tool do all the work today,and just took it easy.

This is where I've left off after today.

That which cannot be seen in the above pic is the following.

Cleaning up what i refer to as the dovetails. Adjusting the inserts. Cutting a platform for the tank itself to rest on.

I wanted to finish two other components, but this fever shit got the better of me.

I ended up buying more wood than i actually need. Still not sure exactly what i was thinking. I'll figure out somewhere to stick it later.

I'm tired. Sick. Shakey. Blaah. Still managed one of the most difficult and need to be precise cuts i have ever attempted while staying home from work today.

Current status :

Today was a long, but pleasure able day, and I am tired.

Very tired.

I want to get the canopy started tomorrow, but I also would like to get the tank in its final spot and plumb it.

I have never spent quite so much time on wood. Those wipe on poly coats are no joke. I also now own more variations of sand paper than I ever thought was possible.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

I haven't been posting as much of my progress, lately. Every hour of daylight that i did myself unobligated to anything else since March has been spent on this.

I am about 2 days worth of work to completion. Maybe 3 after i decide on some adjustments.

I think this is going to be it.

1555998631049.jpg

Alright. Tank is now cycling.