Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shutdown ended

Entropy happens

Re: Shutdown ended

Quote Originally Posted by Utilaelr View Post
    Don't hire a guy known for building things and making deals then complain when he...ummmm....builds things and....makes deals?
    He's actually known for not paying his contractors and going bankrupt.

If you think he's known for actually building things and making deals, then I don't think you know very much about Donald Trump.

And let's not forget that 3 million more people wanted to hire the other candidate for the job.
    Last edited by Zarbonius; January 26th, 2019 at 09:40 AM.

Buckeye Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Utilaelr View Post
    He builds things, its what hes known for. Why would the guy that builds things do anything but build a wall when hes looking to enhance security?
    If it's important enough to shutdown the government, why didn't he do it during his first two years in office while he had control of both houses of Congress?
    Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

Because hes not terribly bright, Also he spent those control years to try at dismantling ACA. He probably should have gone for his wall because that would have been a much easier sell with much less protesting. The wall is just using our money stupidly, Attacking ACA was going for people's health.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist

He even had the deal 25 billion for the wall for DACA like a year ago but pussied out because the conservative talking heads started crying about it.

Elder Arcanist

Mulvaney Says Trump Is Prepared For Another Shutdown

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump is prepared to shut down the government again or declare a national emergency if Congress won’t give him the border wall money he wants, the White House said Sunday.

The president’s standoff with Democrats on Capitol Hill is far from over and the clock is ticking — the spending bill Trump signed on Friday funds the government agencies that had been shut down only until Feb. 15.

White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney told CBS’ “Face the Nation” that Trump’s goal is to work with Congress.

“What he wants to do is fix this the way that things are supposed to get fixed with our government which is through legislation,” Mulvaney said.

Mulvaney said the president didn’t want another shutdown, but he would do it if necessary.

“Keep in mind he’s willing to do whatever it takes to secure the border,” he said.

The record 35-day federal shutdown ended when Trump gave in to mounting pressure, retreating from his demand that Congress commit $5.7 billion for a U.S.-Mexico border wall before federal agencies could resume work. The bill he signed did not provide the money Trump wanted for a barrier, which House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has called “immoral” and has insisted Congress will not finance.

On Fox News Sunday, Mulvaney wouldn’t directly answer whether Trump would take less than $5.7 billion, but said the president was willing to negotiate.

“The president has already gone to the Democrats and said, look, it’s not a 2,000-mile sea-to-shining-sea wall.”

Rep. Hakeem Jeffries of New York, a member of the Democratic leadership in the House, said that a long wall would be ineffective and a waste of taxpayers’ dollars.

“That’s a 5th century solution to a 21st century problem,” Jeffries told NBC’s “Meet the Press.” ″What we want to support over the next few weeks is 21st century border security.”

Jeffries said Democrats are willing to invest in additional infrastructure, especially at legal ports of entry where the majority of drugs come into the country. “We’re willing to invest in personnel. We’re willing to invest in additional technology. ... In the past, we have supported enhanced fencing and I think that’s something that’s reasonable that should be on the table,” he said.

Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., said he thinks a compromise is possible.

“I think the American people are tired of watching the government where people get locked down for no reason except maybe political reasons,” Blunt said, adding that Trump has changed his demands on border security as he’s learned more about the problem.

“The president went from talking about a wall along the entire southern border at one point during the campaign ... to let’s have barriers where they work and let’s have something else where barriers wouldn’t work as well,” Blunt said.

Mulvaney told “Fox News Sunday” that Trump agreed to temporarily end the shutdown because some Democrats have stepped forward, publicly and privately, to say they agree with Trump’s plan to better secure the border. Mulvaney said they told Trump they couldn’t split with Pelosi and Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer, and work with the White House if the government remained closed.

“Everybody wants to look at this and say the president lost,” Mulvaney said. “We’re still in the middle of negotiations.”

Mulvaney said the president is not seeking a “2,000-mile sea to shining sea” wall. The White House has identified 17 priorities for building barriers to discourage illegal crossings. “It’s about 243 miles,” he said. “It’s the wall, where we need it the most and where we need it the quickest.”

“At the end of the day, the president is going to secure the border one way or another.”

Elder Arcanist

Govt. Shutdown Cost $11 Billion & Donald Trump Says Another One's Possible

Ellsworth M. Toohey

It cost $3 billion -- $8 billion of the $11 billion returns through backpay -- or only 0.2% of first quarter GDP, according to CBO.

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Star-Demon View Post
    It's a 3 week CR - this is where we fucking were in December before the president fucked it all up.
    What's a CR in this context, if you would be so kind as to inform me?
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Delores Mulva View Post
    The right wing response to this has been amusing:

https://splinternews.com/the-right-i...ech-1832065044
    Without watching or loading any of the non-text content on that site, I can't make heads or tails of what the text commentary is saying there.

That's a really bad sign.

Where's Jonathan Swift when we need him?

The daily show was good because it could be accurately transcribed into sentences and paragraphs.

I'm fairly certain I'll be even MORE confused if I click on anything there, because those captions make twitter and the more political portions of reddit look intelligent without reference.

I thought we were teaching typing in schools these days in lieu of cursive?
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Utilaelr;1895843
    This video is hysterical.

[video=youtube;iYZKrn7Bbl8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYZKrn7Bbl8[/video]
    Was that actually the guy in question, or was that sketch comedy with someone portraying him?

It's sad that it's hard to tell at this point.

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ackar View Post
    Jeffries said Democrats are willing to invest in additional infrastructure, especially at legal ports of entry where the majority of drugs come into the country.
    WTF! NO THEY DON'T!

NOT SINCE THE 80's when you could shove bricks of ditch weed under your truck bed liner and screw it back down for the ride in, chock full of ntirogen rich fertilizer above the liner and pass customs.

That shit passes via plane or tunnel these days, ESPECIALLY the harder stuff.

Kilos of weed? Tens of thousands of dollars a run if you have a license and the ability to "fly tourists".

Drug runners ESPECIALLY don't drive out of chiapas and expect to get through a border check. Fuck's Sake.

This shit is sheer fucking idiocy perpetuated by the morons that make tv and movie fiction.

I've known some people who trafficked in the past. They were all so scared shitless that they quit doing it, but it's not "load up drugs, drive across the border checkpoint".

Oh, news flash, non-US citizens looking for work as undocumented workers because they can't make a living wage in their home country don't drive through the checkpoints either. Usually because they don't drive, but mostly because they're NOT STUPID.

Elder Arcanist

The chances of Donald Trump declaring a national emergency at the border just went way up

(CNN) — Three very important things happened on Thursday in Washington.

First, President Donald Trump tweeted this at 7:16 a.m.: "Lets just call them WALLS from now on and stop playing political games! A WALL is a WALL!"

Second, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said this of the congressional committee working to craft a compromise bill too keep the government open: "There's not going to be any wall money in the legislation."

Third, Trump responded with this: "If there's no wall it doesn't work. She's just playing games. If there's no wall it doesn't work."

Which, well, seems like a dead end.

And a pretty definitive one, given that the conference committee on Capitol Hill only began meeting to hash out a compromise (or to see if there was a compromise to be found) this week. It appears to be over before the talks even really began. And with the next possible government shutdown -- on February 15 -- just over two weeks away.

Glass-half-full types will note that Trump says (and tweets) all sorts of things -- things that are often at odds with one another and that he often goes back on by the next day. And they will also point out that while Pelosi's pledge that there would be no money for a wall feels conclusive, some other things she said in the press conference suggested she still believes compromise is possible.

Asked about existing barriers and other non-wall options, Pelosi said this:

"If the President wants to call that a wall, he can call it a wall. He's referencing what we already have, almost 700 miles of wall. So again it's a place where enhanced fencing, Normandy fencing would work. Let them have that discussion."

I suppose Pelosi's comment offers some small path forward. But the reason the government shut down for 35 days previously was because Trump insisted that money must be allocated for a wall and Pelosi (and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer) made clear that he wasn't getting $5.7 billion to build a wall along the country's southern border.

Which is, yes, largely a fight over terminology. But that's exactly where we are today on all of this. Right?

Yes, I know Trump has said earlier this month that he didn't care what the wall was called.

"They can name it whatever," Trump said of Democrats on January 11, two weeks to the day from when the last shutdown ended. "They can name it 'Peaches.' This is where I ask the Democrats to come back to Washington and to vote for money for the wall, the barrier, whatever you want to call it, it's OK with me."

Except that about a dozen times since then -- including Thursday morning! -- Trump has said that he thinks the only way to stop the flow of undocumented immigrants into the United States is a wall. And he keeps using that word. Not "steel slats." Not "fencing."

"Wall."

Since January 26, the day after the shutdown ended, Trump has sent 16 separate tweets using the word "wall" at least once (and usually more than once.) And for the 18 months he was a candidate for president, Trump said "we will build a wall!" not "we will build a series of steel-slatted fencing and reinforced barriers!"

Words matter. And the word Trump chooses again and again is "wall." Pelosi knows that -- which is why she has been absolutely adamant since late last year that Democrats will not put one dime toward building Trump's wall in any sort of compromise legislation. When Pelosi -- hours after Trump has told his 50+ million Twitter followers that "A WALL is a WALL" -- tells reporters there will be no money in any bill for Trump's wall, she knows it will set Trump off. And that it lowers his willingness to sign onto any sort of compromise that Congress might come up with over the next fortnight.

On our current course -- a battle of words between Trump and Pelosi over the "wall" -- we are headed to another crisis moment on February 15. Which, if you look back at Trump's Twitter feed, it appears he sort of always expected one anyway.

"I wish people would read or listen to my words on the Border Wall," Trump tweeted on the day the shutdown deal came together. "This was in no way a concession. It was taking care of millions of people who were getting badly hurt by the Shutdown with the understanding that in 21 days, if no deal is done, it's off to the races!"

By "off to the races," Trump means one of two paths:

1) Another government shutdown

2) He declares a national emergency at the border

Given the political hit Trump took on the recently concluded shutdown -- both in terms of his poll numbers and from elected officials within the GOP -- it's very hard for me to see him triggering a second shutdown in the middle of next week. Which would leave him with only one option: Say that the border represents a national emergency, a declaration that would allow Trump to take from money previously allocated to other departments and use it to fund his border wall.

That move would occasion a legal challenge about Trump's decision to declare an emergency. But that would be a medium-to-long-term problem, as opposed to the short-term problem of another government shutdown. Which, at this point, Trump (and Republicans) would probably take.

Things can change -- of course. But the back-and-forth between Pelosi and Trump on Thursday makes clear that a deal isn't going to be easy to come by. At all.

Chaotic Good

Quote Originally Posted by Merrick ap'Milandra View Post
    What's a CR in this context, if you would be so kind as to inform me?
    Continuing Resolution, I think.
    Funding for 3 weeks only.

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

"Corpse Run" works.

All hat & no cattle

I thought Corpse Run too. It's the most appropriate for Graffes, so that must be it. :-)

As in...Dumbasses ruin the raid by spawning <Trump the Avatar of Spite and Pettiness>, which makes the whole government wipe, and forces everyone to spend resources on a corpse run just to get back to where they were in December.

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Finkelstein View Post
    I thought Corpse Run too. It's the most appropriate for Graffes, so that must be it. :-)

As in...Dumbasses ruin the raid by spawning <Trump the Avatar of Spite and Pettiness>, which makes the whole government wipe, and forces everyone to spend resources on a corpse run just to get back to where they were in December.
    Donald J Trump <Avatar of Spite and Pettiness>

Abilities:
    Tweet of Unprofessionalism
    Petty Insults
    Flee to Golf Resort
    Blame Someone Else
    Create Wall(costs 5.7 billion mana)

Enrage:
    Summon Space Force
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist

GOP rejects bill to give back pay to federal contractors, wants to repeal estate tax instead

Not a single Republican senator has joined the effort to give back pay to hundreds of thousands of federal contractors who were unpaid during the partial government shutdown. But the party’s leaders are pushing ahead with a bill to repeal the federal estate tax on behalf of the wealthiest Americans.

Minnesota Sen. Tina Smith and Massachusetts Rep. Ayanna Pressley, both Democrats, have introduced bills that would give back pay to federal contractors, who are not entitled under law to be paid after a shutdown as federal employees are, Vox reported.

According to the Washington Post, the total number of federal contractors affected could be in the millions. Federal contractors were barred from doing any business for the government for 35 days, meaning many workers missed out on nearly 10 percent of their annual pay.

The bill would allow agencies to provide workers with up to $965 per week in back pay.

Smith said the bill is an easy fix because federal agencies have already allocated money for the contractor costs but haven’t paid them out.

“If you think about it, they’re paying people for work they would have done but for the shutdown,” Smith told Vox. “In many cases, that money was already budgeted; it just hasn’t been spent.”

According to Vox, the bill already has 20 co-sponsors in the Senate -- but not a single Republican is backing the bill.

Instead, on Monday, three top Republican senators introduced a bill to repeal the federal estate tax, which is paid by fewer than 2,000 of the wealthiest Americans per year.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell was joined by Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, and Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., in sponsoring a bill that fully repeals the tax some wealthy families must pay on inherited wealth, the Washington Post reported.

The Republicans already kneecapped the estate tax in their 2017 tax law, allowing couples to pass on up to $22 million worth of assets tax-free. Prior to the law, an individual could pass up to $5.45 million in assets tax-free.

Under the new law, just 1,700 families per year would be expected to pay the estate tax, the Tax Policy Center’s Howard Gleckman told the Post. The estate tax funds about 0.6 percent of the federal budget in 2018.

While the Republicans renew their focus on helping the rich keep more of their money, federal contractors may still be weeks away from getting their first paycheck of the year.

Janice Morgan, who works at the contracting firm Unispec, which provides staffers for government agencies, told the Washington Post her next paycheck may be up to four weeks away because the company cannot bill the government for work it hasn’t done. She added that her health insurance is in doubt because the shutdown meant her company was unable to pay its premiums.

While the government has reopened, Trump has threatened to shut it down once again on Feb. 15 if Congress does not approve a deal to fund his proposed border wall.

“It feels like we are still hostages,” Morgan said. “I’m just so happy to be going back to work and to be able to get on with our lives because I need our health insurance to fill these prescriptions. But who knows if this will all happen again in three weeks.”