Thread: Baseball 2019

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Baseball 2019

Let's start the upcoming season's thread the right way, with due honors for the first player ever unanimously voted (and deservedly so) into the Baseball Hall of Fame:

Oh, and congrats to Halladay, Mussina (MOOSE!) and Edgar Martinez (overdue).

Elder Arcanist

Re: Baseball 2019

Congrats to Rivera. Well earned.

My question is, how the hell is the first unanimous vote? Who the hell didn't vote for Babe Ruth? Willie Mays (Ok, I think we know who wouldn't vote for him...same folks that wouldn't vote for Jackie Robinson)? Ted Williams? Even Greg Maddox?

Edit: I just saw the other thread and noticed I asked the same damn question there. Just means it's more bullshit that it never happened before this.

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by Dramadon View Post
    how the hell is the first unanimous vote?
    You had a few old fart baseball writers who had weird beliefs about no one deserving to be a unanimous vote or getting in on the first ballot.

The BBWAA a few years ago changed the rules to limit HoF voting to writers who have been active in the profession sometime in the past 10 years, so it got rid of the fossilized curmudgeons

Elder Arcanist

I heard an unbelievable stat on Riviera today. In 146 post season innings, he gave up 11 runs. That is just unreal.