Thread: January '19 Release Thread

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

January '19 Release Thread

The break is over and the new year has begun. Wasting no time, January has a lot of new releases and a few very significant ones.

The biggest game of the month is Kingdom Hearts III. This series is admittedly not everyone's cup of tea, but enough people like these games that Square considers it to be one of the pillars of their company. It has been thirteen years since KH2, and while there have been a lot of other games in this series since then, they have all been handheld spinoffs. Kingdom Hearts 3 promises to conclude the (weird) story that has been building all this time.

Hot on its heels is Resident Evil 2. A couple years before RE7 saved the franchise, Capcom released an HD remaster of the first Resident Evil game. It was essentially the same game with large graphic upgrades and various minor additions and tweaks. It was successful enough that rumors began to circulate about them doing the same thing for RE2. Fans waited. And waited. And waited. Until finally it was revealed, and rather than being a simple HD remaster, they made it a full blown remake more on the level of a full release.

Rounding things out are Ace Combat 7 for people who like flight sim action games, Tropico 6 for people who want to build and manage a small country, and Tales of Vesperia for people who like jpgs. The latter is notable in being a port of an old Xbox game back when Microsoft was still trying to court Japan. This will be the first time it is available on other platforms.

Nintendo has a fairly large presence this month. Most notable on the Switch is a Wii U port and a new exclusive. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe is exactly what it sounds like, a port of their last sidescrolling Mario platformer. As has become standard with Nintendo, it comes with all the previous DLC (the Luigi stuff) as well as a few new character additions, one of which sent the gaming subculture of the internet into an amusing nerd frenzy for a few weeks after its announcement.

The other major Switch release is Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes. No More Heroes was one of the few exclusive third party games on the original Wii. It was pretty janky and repetitive, but it also had an extremely strange aesthetic and style which won it a lot of fans. This particular entry is a bit of a departure from the others in the series and instead of being a third person action game is actually a collection of different genre mini-games.

This month also features the last new 3DS game I know of, a port of Bowser's Inside Story with a new campaign featuring Bowser Jr. BIS is the best game in this series in my opinion, so if you are curious and want to try out a Mario RPG this is as good a place as any to start.

Spoiler for January releases:

Multiplatform

• Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition (January) - jrpg
    • Onimusha: Warlords (January) - action adventure
    • Resident Evil 2 (January) - survival horror
    • Tropico 6 (January) - strategy/simulation

PS4

• Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (January) - flight combat
    • Kingdom Hearts III (January) - action rpg

Xbox

• Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (January) - flight combat
    • Kingdom Hearts III (January) - action rpg

Switch

• New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (January) - platforming
    • Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition (January) - jrpg
    • Onimusha: Warlords (January) - action adventure
    • Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes (January) - action adventure

3DS

• Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey (January) - rpg

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Re: January '19 Release Thread

Anyone looking forward to anything this month? I can't decide personally. While I'm not as invested in Kingdom Hearts as I used to be, I have played nearly every game in its long history. I think this new one will probably be pretty good. I also really liked the RE1 remake despite hating horror in general. RE2 is legendary and I would probably try it even without all the effort they are putting into remaking it.

And to top it all off, I used to port beg insufferably for Tales of Vesperia. I've played a lot of Tales games and fans always insist this is one of the better ones. My only concern is that I already have a lot of unplayed jrpgs at the moment.

As a general reminder, Sony is discontinuing Vita (and I think PS3?) from their PS+ monthly games rotation, starting in March or April I believe?

PS+

PS4
    Steep
    Portal Knights
    PS3
    Zone of the Enders HD Collection
    Amplitude
    Vita
    Fallen Legon: Flames of Rebellion (PS4)
    Super Mutant Alien Assault

Games with Gold

Xone
    Celeste
    WRC 6 FIA World Rally Championship
    Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
    Far Cry 2

Trailers:

KH3 trailer is a little spoilery. Interesting to me because we finally get to hear the new theme song composed by Utada (who did the themes from the previous games) and Skrillex.

Including two trailers of Ace Combat, because while the newer one has more gameplay in it, I'm way into the political melodrama in the older story trailers.

Last edited by Wool; December 31st, 2018 at 11:57 PM.