Thread: On the market for a new wireless router / dd wrt

On the market for a new wireless router / dd wrt

I need a wireless router with capabilities for at least 20 devices OTR/WiFi. The one that we've had for over 8 years is taking a shot. I think it has fallen too many times and something important has broken.

Dd wrt is not absolutely necessary, but I've found it much easier to manage and would like to stick with that.

I would prefer to get it from office depot, as I've got a gift card for $60 bucks there. Even though just about everything there is marked up by $60.

So, the requirements i have is a minimum of 20 wifi devices, stable, and prefrrably a 75'range.

I would like 5ghz as well. It seems the best for this would probably be an asus, but office depot does not sell them.

I do not want to spend over $100 on amazon, and not over 160 at office depot. So please, recommend away!

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Re: On the market for a new wireless router / dd wrt

Well, you should buy a Unifi setup. If you don't want to really get into that level, they have an AmpliFi line that is more for the "home" user, but still supports Mesh. The single Router is listed on their site as $99 (not on Amazon yet, I believe this is a new product). You can extend it with MeshPoints to give your house better 5Ghz coverage.

I love UniFi because I never have to worry about applying security updates. I have it configured to automatically apply updates to AP's, so I only have to worry about my little Ubuntu VM not running updates for some reason. And really I could just switch to a CloudKey and not even need to do that anymore.
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums

I have had the most success using tp link products. I might get a unifi setup in the new house. Since we are only in this house for less than a year, I do not want to invest in a large setup until i know what we are dealing with.

Anything in particular from tp link you would recommend as a stand alone that flashes to dd wrt easily? I am under the impression that all tp link flash to dd wrt.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Oh, I thought this thread was looking for suggestions and feedback, not "tell me it's okay to use TP-Link garbage."
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    Oh, I thought this thread was looking for suggestions and feedback, not "tell me it's okay to use TP-Link garbage."
    Lol.

You gave a very good recommendation, and i appreciate it. I really dig that option, but we had a g/c to office depot that we were not going to use for anything else, so unifi was out.

I'll definitely consider it for the next house, though.

We ended up getting the tp link i decided on for about 40 dollars off with s coupon and it was clearance. I spent $3 in cold hard cash after tax.