Thread: What was your favorite game of 2018?

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

What was your favorite game of 2018?

It's that time of the year again. The new year is almost upon us, but before we look at what we can expect next year let's look back and appreciate what we played this year.

So what were your favorite games this year? They can be new or old, I personally like to differentiate them with different categories since I play so much of both, but we aren't a review outlet and you can approach this thread however you like. You can also share your biggest disappointment, and what game you missed you most want to go back and make time for.

Favorite New Game:

God of War. This is a little bit cheaty as I actually skipped most of the stuff I was interested in this year and around a month ago I started polling people to see what was the one thing I shouldn't skip. It turned out to be this, and (as far as I know) it was definitely the right choice. This game is amazingly well crafted. I feel like Sony has established a certain style and budget with their big games. They did amazing things with a franchise I largely considered dead. My few criticisms largely come from the new rpg loot system and the way it causes monster scaling to work. Also the scarcity of resources for upgrades can be pretty dang ridiculous. Be very careful with what you choose to spend them on.

Runners Up: Detroit Become Human and Into the Breach.

Favorite Old Game:

Super Mario Odyssey. I loved this game so much that I bumped the 2017 thread just to talk about it. Even still coming off the God of War high I might still like this game more.

Runners Up: Batman The Enemy Within and Parasite Eve.

Honestly I think my only disappointment is that I skipped too much that I was interested in this year when I resubbed to WoW. 2019 is going to end up being a year of me rectifying my past sins by catching up on things I missed. I've got Nier Automata, Mario Rabbids, and Breath of the Wild from 2017, and from 2018 I most want to play Spider-Man, Red Dead Redemption 2, and Valkyria Chronicles 4.

2018 Summary

January: Dragon Ball FighterZ, Monster Hunter World
    February: Secret of Mana, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Metal Gear Survive, Into the Breach
    March: Sea of Thieves, Far Cry 5, A Way Out, Ni no Kuni 2, FF15 PC
    April: God of War, Yakuza 6, Nintendo LABO
    May: State of Decay 2, Detroit Become Human, Pillars of Eternity 2
    June: Vampyr, Onrush, Mario Tennis Aces
    July: Octopath Traveler, Banner Saga 3
    August: Overcooked 2, Dead Cells, Guacamelee 2, Monster Hunter World PC, Shenmue
    September: Spider-Man, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Dragon Quest 11, Valkyria Chronicles 4
    October: Call of Duty Black Ops 4, Red Dead Redemption 2, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Forza Horizon 4, Soul Caliber VI, Megaman 11
    November: Battlefield V, Hitman 2, Darksiders 3, Tetris Effect, Fallout 76, Pokemon Let's Go, Artifact
    December: Super Smash Brothers Ultimate, Just Cause 4, Thronebreaker
    Last edited by Wool; December 26th, 2018 at 07:56 AM.

All hat & no cattle

Re: What was your favorite game of 2018?

My favourite game of 2018 was Subnautica.

It wasn't even on my radar until I was recommended it by a friend, and I was hesitant still. Found it on sale and was very happy that I got it, as it was a lot better than it looks. It has SO much atmosphere, especially through the soundscape, plus the story isn't half bad, at least for a "survival game".
    The fact that it's made by a small developer makes it even more deserving of praise.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

God of War is an easy win here, and I played all of the other possible contenders except Beat Saber.

Spiderman was fun, but the story wasn't that great, and a lot of the gameplay was dragged out by extensive travel segments.
    RDR2 had a great story but the gameplay was just good, and a lot of the gameplay was dragged out by extensive travel segments.
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

I should clarify that by number of hours, Destiny 2: Forsaken would be my favorite game of 2018, but I think MMO style games are kind of cheating.
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

Only got a couple, lol
    pathfinder Kingmaker, buggy at start but very good

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    but I think MMO style games are kind of cheating.
    I would generally agree with that sentiment. Some people genuinely enjoy all the extra hours those games add, but I kind of resent the way everything is drawn out to keep you playing.

Buckeye Wizard

Quake Champions by a mile!
    Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

Rdr2. I only played 3 new games this year. Rdr2, spiderman, and shadow of the tomb raider.

Spiderman is good, but not quite the kind if game which I fall in love with.

Tomb raider i simply found boring.

Rdr2... God.so wonderful.