Thread: Steam Holiday Sale 2018 Dec 20 - Jan 3

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Steam Holiday Sale 2018 Dec 20 - Jan 3

Steam's winter sale has begun, as well as pretty much every other digital store you can think of. I'm actually not sure if we still need threads like this, and I guess the only reason why Steam still stands out is the gimmick they do each year. This year's is an advent calendar, except instead of chocolates each day you get random Steam junk like emoticons and such. There is also a section for voting on the best games of the year that's a little less silly and chaotic than previous years.

Only barely off topic, but I would also like to point out that Epic have made so much money off Fortnite that they have decided to put their hat in the digital store ring. As a way to entice new users they are giving Subnautica away for free until the 27th, and Super Meat Boy for free after that. To entice developers and publishers they are massively lowering the cut they get for selling games compared to Steam.

This is always a good time to catch up on stuff you missed, or maybe try something you heard good things about during Game of the Year discussions. I have't decided what I'm actually picking up this year myself, as I am mostly focusing on my PS4 at the moment. What about you guys?

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Re: Steam Holiday Sale 2018 Dec 20 - Jan 3

Quote Originally Posted by Wool View Post
    Only barely off topic, but I would also like to point out that Epic have made so much money off Fortnite that they have decided to put their hat in the digital store ring. As a way to entice new users they are giving Subnautica away for free until the 27th, and Super Meat Boy for free after that. To entice developers and publishers they are massively lowering the cut they get for selling games compared to Steam.
    If you pick up Subnautica from Epic, make sure you pay attention to the checkboxes on the account creation page. Checking the last box ensures that you will NOT receive unsolicited emails from Epic, per this reddit thread.

Edit: Never mind, looks like they fixed it (per just trying it again now). "Check (this box) to receive".

Elder Arcanist

I don't think this was considered a "sale" item, but I bought Borderlands 2 deluxe edition for around $8, I never played the first one and decided to just go on to 2. Not too far in but I am really enjoying it as single player, although I am dying a lot, I need to get better at the controls.
    'This world may be another planet's hell.'{Aldous Huxley}
    'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'{Aldous Huxley}

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Sale almost over, here's what I picked up:

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak - To satisfy an RTS craving.
    The Division - Because I think a friend wanted me to get it to play with them.
    Simmiland - Not even on sale, just a neat bite sized God game. Mildly disappointing though. The AI is REALLY dumb.
    Hollow Knight - Gifted to me. Insanely good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonlainy View Post
    I don't think this was considered a "sale" item, but I bought Borderlands 2 deluxe edition for around $8, I never played the first one and decided to just go on to 2. Not too far in but I am really enjoying it as single player, although I am dying a lot, I need to get better at the controls.
    This was the right decision. The first one was fine for what it was, but was mostly just fun for being novel. It had huge, huge shortcomings that the second one mostly overcame. There's also nothing story related you are missing, aside from an attachment to some of the returning characters.

There is a lot of content in that game too. If you think you are going to burn out, Tiny Tina's DLC is the one out of the bunch you should definitely play.
    Last edited by Wool; January 2nd, 2019 at 12:19 PM.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

The only thing I picked up was Caves of Qud, a rogue-like. It's good but I forgot how much I hate save-scumming.

Also, I've apparently got a game item hoarding problem (as evidenced by my Skyrim and Fallout 4 saves). (And Terraria, Starbound, Realms of Magic...)

Forum Sorcerer

Only thing I have picked up so far is Spellforce 3 - pretty decent RPG with an ok RTS mixed in. Enjoying it so far, some of the RTS missions are brutal though.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Hollow Knight is pretty amazing. Every year has one or two indie games that blow everyone away and end up getting thrown into the lot of Game of the Year discussions. This was that game for 2017, but for some reason I ignored it and I really shouldn't have.

I think I ignored it because people kept comparing it to Dark Souls, and I've had enough of both that comparison and wannabes that try to copy what Dark Souls did and doing it poorly. I'm pleasantly surprised to find it isn't as close a copy as people seemed to think, but the tone is very similar and this can also be a challenging game. In short, what this game actually is is a 2D platforming action adventure (commonly Metroidvania) with some of the boss design you will find in any game.

I would stay away from some of the optional end-game stuff though. A lot of it is either stupidly difficult, or a tedious gauntlet that never ends. Beating The Radiance is worth it for the ending (but only barely), the rest not so much unless you are masochist. I got to 108 out of a possible 112 completion before finally deciding I couldn't take it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodja View Post
    Only thing I have picked up so far is Spellforce 3 - pretty decent RPG with an ok RTS mixed in. Enjoying it so far, some of the RTS missions are brutal though.
    I was always curious of these games. Two of my favorite genres mixed together? Sounds great! Unfortunately I had problems getting the early ones to work and it kind of soured me on trying again.
    Last edited by Wool; January 6th, 2019 at 09:37 PM.

Forum Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by Wool View Post
    Hollow Knight is pretty amazing. Every year has one or two indie games that blow everyone away and end up getting thrown into the lot of Game of the Year discussions. This was that game for 2017, but for some reason I ignored it and I really shouldn't have.

I think I ignored it because people kept comparing it to Dark Souls, and I've had enough of both that comparison and wannabes that try to copy what Dark Souls did and doing it poorly. I'm pleasantly surprised to find it isn't as close a copy as people seemed to think, but the tone is very similar and this can also be a challenging game. In short, what this game actually is is a 2D platforming action adventure (commonly Metroidvania) with some of the boss design you will find in any game.

I would stay away from some of the optional end-game stuff though. A lot of it is either stupidly difficult, or a tedious gauntlet that never ends. Beating The Radiance is worth it for the ending (but only barely), the rest not so much unless you are masochist. I got to 108 out of a possible 112 completion before finally deciding I couldn't take it anymore.

I was always curious of these games. Two of my favorite genres mixed together? Sounds great! Unfortunately I had problems getting the early ones to work and it kind of soured me on trying again.
    Just finished my first run through of the game - my save file shows 63 hours played, but Steam tells me closer to 103 hours. A lot of that was testing things out in the RTS element.

I found the combination pretty good to be honest. Some maps are a LOT easier than others, and some of the RTS elements you can just blast through with your party.

Definitely recommend the game (but, as always, wait until it is on sale. Not that it's a bad game, just why pay full price? Steam sales are so frequent these days!)