Thread: The Game Awards 2018 - Dec 6

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

The Game Awards 2018 - Dec 6

It's that time of the year again. The Game Awards have been a fairly big deal for the industry for awhile now, but this year they might be bigger than ever. On the actual awards side, this year has had several huge huge releases to fight over. But in stark contrast to actually released games, teases and reveals for new games have been dry on the whole this year. There is a fairly good chance we are going to see some cool new stuff tomorrow. So far the only thing I've seen confirmed is a teaser for a new Far Cry game.

Let's do a quick break down of the state of video games at the moment. Nintendo's big game this year, and about the only thing they talked about, is Smash Brothers. Which maybe not so coincidentally comes out on the same day as the Game Awards. They've teased something special will be shown. As we currently have no indication what their big 2019 game will be, and when they last teased us they didn't show a single dang thing, I'm betting on them finally showing a real trailer for Metroid Prime 4.

Sony is also in a peculiar spot. They have recently announced they will not be at E3 2019. This year they didn't do their PSX show, and didn't show anything at Paris Games Week. They have four big games in development, and for some reason don't think they need to show them again before release. With one exception, I have no idea when there next chance to make a big showing will be. Still, I don't really think they are going to show anything tomorrow. I think they are planning something else entirely for 2019. I'll get into that later this month.

Microsoft is currently putting forth the most obvious effort and will absolutely be present. I can't decide if they will actually show anything though. They have recovered from the disastrous TV, TV, TV era but it takes time to develop games and I don't think their new studios have had enough time. Still, this would be a great place to tease something if they can.

Here's the link to the official website. Can browse nominees, find info on where and when to watch, etc. You can also vote, something I didn't do because I barely played any new games this year.
    https://thegameawards.com/

Nominees for Game of the Year:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey
    Celeste
    God of War
    Marvel's Spider-Man
    Monster Hunter: World
    Red Dead Redemption 2

I think it's pretty cool Celeste and Monster Hunter made it on here, but I think this is clearly between God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2. Spider Man might have won in any other year, but those two are just too big. Between them, I think God of War is probably the winner.

Rockstar has an immense weight of respect behind it's pedigree. Red Dead is one of the biggest games and most anticipated games in years. It's highly detailed in the way some people really appreciate. But it turns out horse brushing simulations are kind of niche, and that massive success has attracted quite a lot of people who don't like games with complicated control schemes. I personally find it hilarious when someone shoots their gun on accident and makes an entire town mad at them, but that's just me.

Meanwhile, I don't think I heard a single bad word about God of War. Solid design with a good story and good length. It's maybe the one game this year that I've consistently heard people say should not be skipped. Which of these games wins will depend on how much the judges care about simplicity in design and function versus obtuse but engrossing immersion.
    Last edited by Wool; December 5th, 2018 at 02:23 PM.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Re: The Game Awards 2018 - Dec 6

The production of these have gotten very good, though I sort of felt like it was too much this year. They always have a ton of small announcements to cushion out the big announcements. This year they had a lot of big announcements AND a lot of small announcements. It was just too much. This is doubly strange because in past years they have been criticized for not paying enough attention to the actual awards and instead of fixing that they went hard in the opposite direction. There were several presented on stage, but it seems like the vast majority were announced by Keighley himself. And maybe it's my imagination, but I swear there are more categories this year as well, a ton of them being esports related.

Another observation: almost exclusively celebrity presenters this year. That was a perceived problem back when Spike was running these and picked presenters with star power that didn't necessarily care about video games. It didn't cause any problems in my opinion, but some people might be rubbed the wrong way. Note, one funny inclusion was Joel McHale, infamous for hosting a previous game awards very awkwardly. My first thought "I can't believe they brought him back", his first words "I can't believe you guys brought me back".

The show started off with all 3 major studio heads from Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo kicking off the show together. They brought back the orchestra this year, and this year made special mention of getting Hans Zimmer. They also had musical performances from Red Dead Redemption 2 and Devil May Cry 5. While Fortnite is what people kept talking about, PUBG had by far the biggest push with in-show advertising and commercials (some of them quite good). Other than that my favorite advertisement was the Magic The Gathering stuff.

They also had small clips of various enrichment projects within the video game space. Able Gamers (finding ways for handicapped people to play games), Girls Make Games, Pixel Art Game Academy, as well as a short clip about developing games in refugee countries

Awards in a spoiler tag.

Spoiler for Awards:

I thought I would be eating crow for awhile. Red Dead Redemption 2 was sweeping almost every category it was nominated in.

Industry Icon - Greg Thomas from Visual Concepts. They actually made less of a deal out of this than in previous years. Best known for 2K sports games, a highlight reel was shown of their long history.

Game of the Year: God of War

Best Action-Adventure: God of War
    Best Action Game: Dead Cells
    Best RPG: Monster Hunter World
    Best Strategy Game: Into the Breach
    Best Fighting Game: Dragon Ball FighterZ
    Best Sports or Racing: Forza Horizon 4
    Best Family Game: Overcooked 2
    Best Independent Game: Celeste
    Best Debut Indie: The Messenger
    Best Ongoing Game: Fortnite
    Best Multiplayer Game: Fortnite
    Best Mobile Game: Florence
    Best AR/VR Game: Astro Bot Rescue Mission

Best Narrative: Red Dead Redemption 2
    Best Performance: Red Dead Redemption 2
    Best Score/Music: Red Dead Redemption 2
    Best Audio Design: Red Dead Redemption 2
    Best Art Direction: Return of the Obra Dinn
    Best Game Direction: God of War
    Games for Impact: Celeste

Content Creator of the Year (most popular streamer): Ninja
    Best esports Player: SonicFox
    Best esports Team: Cloud9
    Best esports Game: Overwatch
    Best esports Event - League of Legends World Championship
    Best esports Host: Sjokz
    Best esports Coach: Reapered
    Best esports Moment: C9 Comeback Win In Triple OT vs FAZE
    Student Award Game: Combat 2018 - also announced the new title which I don't remember, some pun involving tanks and apocalypse or something

Finally all the new announcements and trailers shown. There were so many trailers and teasers this year that I can't imagine myself adding a link to every single one (though never say never). Very loosely ordered by order of magnitude, as perceived by me. Position is irrelevant other than allowing you to ignore smaller games if all you care about are big announcements.

Mortal Kombat 11 - Rumored for awhile. Ed Boon was presenting for a category and they played this trailer instead of the nominees. Pretty amusing way to reveal it.

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 3 - I don't think anybody saw this coming. Stranger still, it's apparently Switch exclusive!

Far Cry: New Dawn - Spoils the ending to Far Cry 5, something that I didn't think would be a big deal until I saw what that actually entailed. Wtf Far Cry 5. Anyway, it's much more colorful than you might expect. I will say no more.

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's new game. Space Fallout. We have a thread for it.

Psychonauts 2 - They finally show actual gameplay. This is the first time I've thought this game was actually real.

Dragon Age 4 - The only reason why I don't rate this higher is because it was just a tease. They don't even officially name it a Dragon Age game, but I would recognize that art style anywhere. The hashtag at the end #TheDreadWolfRises didn't hurt.

Hades - New game from SuperGiant Games (Bastion, Transistor). Available now in Early Access. Looks like an action game with roguelike elements. Art is amazing.

Crash Team Racing - I didn't think they would do it, but they are remaking the Crash Bandicoot kart racing game.

Atlas - A new open world survival game from the people who made Ark. They promise it will be even bigger. Seafaring is featured prominently, and while I don't know if pirates are part of the theme, that era of technology is heavily present. Also mythological monsters.

Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey - A new game from the creator of Assassin's Creed. Open world survival game focusing on early evolutionary apes. I sort of get the impression the goal is to go through the motions towards developing the first human.

The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe - Console version of the game, featuring new content. Funny trailer.

The Pathless - From the creators of Abzu. Looks sort of like an on rails runner. I really like the aesthetic, though it's hard to put into words. Various Japanese influences are likely.

Survive By - From the creators of Warframe. Free to play isometric cooperative bullet hell roguelike.

The Last Campfire - Charming looking adventure game from Hello Games (No Man's Sky). Described as a "short".

Scavengers - Marooned from space aesthetic. Called a co-opetition survival shooter. Easy assumption is that this is a battle royale game, but they didn't show or talk about actual gameplay.

Among Trees - Pretty trailer. Survive in a forest. No details given otherwise. This is supposedly another survival game.

Journey to the Savage Planet - Another apparent survival game, this time with a science fiction planet theme. No details given for this either.

Sayonara Wild Hearts - Announced during the pre-show. "A Pop Album Video Game". I have no idea what this is, but it looks crazy. Maybe a playable, on-rails music video game?

Odds and Ends: Rocket League DLC, Forza DLC, Warframe on Switch, Dead By Daylight content, Dauntless trailer (Monster Hunter style game, previously shown), Stranger Things Season 3 game, DMC5 demo on Xbox, Fortnite Season 7 featuring commando Santa, Fortnite Creative Mode.

There were also new trailers for Anthem and Rage 2.

Finally, Nintendo's surprise announcement was Persona 5 being part 1 of their DLC program. Relatively minor, but I lost my shit. This is doubly interesting to me because of what it says about the implications of their future DLC.

We know that they have 5 planned. We know that Nintendo is choosing them and not Sakurai (the creator of the series/game). The prevailing theory has been that they would all be promotional characters for upcoming games, but including Joker from Persona 5 means they might instead be fan favorites from franchises outside of Nintendo.

Stay tuned for trailers.
    Last edited by Wool; December 7th, 2018 at 04:01 PM.

All hat & no cattle

No news on the new DOOM?
    That's probably the one game I'm looking forward to above all else.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Went back and added trailer hyperlinks to each of the games in the post above. I made it easier on myself by simply dumping the clips from the Game Awards Youtube channel rather than hunting down clean versions of the trailers themselves. I hope you like the phrase "world premiere".

I usually highlight what I thought were standout trailers, but that's a bit tougher this time. Even a lot of the smaller games had interesting trailers, with their biggest problem just being incredibly vague. Usually there are quite a few mediocre looking game trailers, but the one I'm the most down on honestly is that Ancestors game. Esteemed pedigree, but looks.... eh.

Still, if I forced myself to pick, I would pick The Outer Worlds, Mortal Kombat 11, Atlas, and Anthem as the best trailers shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Finkelstein View Post
    No news on the new DOOM?
    That's probably the one game I'm looking forward to above all else.
    Nothing on Doom. The Game Awards has a tight schedule, so they usually either only show teases of games revealed for the first time, or final advertising pushes for something about to come out. In depth gameplay is usually found at other events, or at specific press outlets (Game Informer, Gamespot, etc). Doom Eternal is still a ways away, and I think it was recently shown off at Quakecon.
    Last edited by Wool; December 7th, 2018 at 04:21 PM.

All hat & no cattle

Oh well. I have too many games and too little time, so having to wait some is fine. :-)