Thread: Girl called Abcde 'mocked by Southwest Airlines staff'

Elder Arcanist

Girl called Abcde 'mocked by Southwest Airlines staff'

Girl called Abcde 'mocked by Southwest Airlines staff'

Southwest Airlines has apologized after a mother claimed its staff mocked her five-year-old daughter, called Abcde, over her name.

A gate agent laughed at the name -- pronounced 'Ab-si-dee' -- and posted a picture of her boarding pass online, the girl's mother, Traci Redford, alleged.

"The gate agent started laughing, pointing at me and my daughter, talking to other employees. So I turned around and said, 'Hey, if I can hear you, my daughter can hear you, so I'd appreciate if you'd just stop,'" Redford told ABC News.

The incident allegedly took place at John Wayne Airport in Orange County, California, as the mother and daughter boarded a flight to El Paso, Texas.

She added that she later found out the picture of her daughter's boarding pass had been posted to Facebook.

A spokesman for the airline offered a "sincere apology to the family" in a statement emailed to CNN. "We take great pride in extending our Southwest Hospitality to all of our Customers, which includes living by the Golden Rule and treating every individual with respect, in person or online," he added.

"We have followed up with the Employee involved, and while we do not disclose personnel actions publicly, we are using this as an opportunity to reinforce our policies and emphasize our expectations for all Employees," the spokesman said.
    Naming your child Abcde is a fucking attention drawing move.

But posting the boarding pass info to facebook was a very bad move by the agent.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Re: Girl called Abcde 'mocked by Southwest Airlines staff'

Yeah, pretty unprofessional behavior, but I've also got to wonder what the mother thought was going to happen when she named her kid that. It's like naming your kid dogbutt and getting mad when they get teased at school. You share responsibility.

Back to the gate agents though. I understand laughing at absurdity, but people do still deserve a modicum of respect. To trash on a child that didn't choose that name is just low.

All hat & no cattle

What are they going to do when she starts in school?

Honestly, I think it's a sort of child abuse to name your child something that dumb, because you're setting them up for plenty of mockery through out their life for the parents picking such a stupid name.

Still, I agree with Wool, that the TA needs to be professional and STFU.

the agent was wrong and so is the mother. Making stupid names like this just sets the kid up for a life of mockery especially much above grade 1. If mom thinks this is bad oh boy is she in for a shock when the kid hits public school.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Mangina at large.

This story shocked me. Not because someone mocked a customer - people are dicks. Not because this woman named her kid Abcde - hey, all sorts of people make bad choices, even if poor little Alphabetty needs to suffer for her mom's. No, what shocked me was the related story revealing that there's currently 328 people in the United States called Abcde, almost all of them children. I guess the ones that make it to the age of emancipation do something about it.

The amusing thing to me is that Abcde, pronounced Ab-Suh-dee, is a basically a pronunciation error in the first place.

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

Reminded me of this:

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/exploits_of_a_mom.png

Edit: I suppose I should explain this comic. The subject has to do with a security flaw known as "SQL Injection". The idea being that the student entry will be added to a SQL table named "Students". The syntax to perform this action would be something along the lines of the following statement:

INSERT INTO students (first_name) VALUES ('Robert'); -- The preceding dashes indicate the start of an inline comment.

Note that the statement is ended with a semi-colon. A hacker, in this case the mom, could potentially inject another statement into the preceding statement. Since she named the child 'Robert'); DROP TABLE students;--' the SQL statement becomes:

INSERT INTO students (first_name) VALUES ('Robert'); DROP TABLE students;--

As a result, the SQL parser will parse the first statement inserting little Bobby's entry, but then it sees a second valid statement and drops (deletes) the whole students table from the database. End result is the school is totally screwed (at least until they restore a backup). Hilarity ensues...at least for dear old mom. Her comment about sanitizing inputs means that a rigorously written system would look for and eliminate such potential hazards and anyone who doesn't do so gets what they deserve for being sloppy.
    Last edited by Merkus; December 1st, 2018 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Adding explanation

Buckeye Wizard

?

Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

If they have more children, they should name them ASCII and/or EBCDIC....or PASSWORD 12345!

Elder Arcanist

I will back your EBCDIC suggestion if we can sell them on also pronouncing it 'Ab-si-dee'.

Otherwise I'm thinking the next should be Fghi, pronounced 'Effigy'.

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

By jove, I think you've solved the equation. They will most likely continue through the whole alphabet in the manner you describe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deabn View Post
    I will back your EBCDIC suggestion if we can sell them on also pronouncing it 'Ab-si-dee'.

Otherwise I'm thinking the next should be Fghi, pronounced 'Effigy'.

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

kids can suffer enough bullying without this level of extreme idiocy to make it more likely!
    bullying is NOT "toughening you up", it is usually severely corrosive to BOTH sides of the abuse
    and some are absolutely sadists or psychopaths

I can't imagine a reasonable excuse to name your kid like this, otherwise, yeesh!!!

me as a kid, pointed ears + braniac + gentle nature = bullying ain't a joke

me at scarborough.jpg

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Nerkahia View Post
    ? [A Boy Named Sue]
    I actually had a tough time with understanding boys with what I associated as girls names when I was a kid. For example Ashley from Gone with the Wind (it's more common than that, but that's the only instance I currently remember).

I eventually got over it. I think my brain just reprocessed its database of gendered vs non-gendered names. I find I still have an adjustment period to new names I'm not used to, but am generally more open to accepting them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkus View Post

This is cute. While nowhere near as technical, the first thing I thought of with a name like Abcde is the confusion it's going to be causing for anyone working with the database. Abcde is one of those things you enter when you don't want to put effort into thinking of an actual response. Is this really the person's name or did someone not fill out the information correctly?

This airline incident is a taste of things to come for when the child enters school and the name becomes an issue as it is constantly being questioned before bullying even becomes a factor. At least with kids you can only tell them your nickname (until they discover the truth later). You can't do that with an official database that requires your legal name, and every single person that utilizes information from that database is going to be confused the first time they see it.
    Last edited by Wool; December 1st, 2018 at 06:19 PM.

Elder Arcanist

The agent was definitely an ass, no way should that be put on any social media, no matter how absurd the name. Maybe the mom just wanted the child to get a jump on learning the alphabet?

I wonder if there are any WYSIWYGs out there.
    'This world may be another planet's hell.'{Aldous Huxley}
    'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'{Aldous Huxley}

Quote Originally Posted by Bonlainy View Post

I wonder if there are any WYSIWYGs out there.
    Well. That certainly is a wonder.

I can see how this link's contents can be misunderstood and turned into an actual name.

https://appellationmountain.net/baby...dictions-2016/