Thread: Flooding in California as rain hits wildfire-burned areas

Elder Arcanist

Flooding in California as rain hits wildfire-burned areas

Mangina at large.

Re: Flooding in California as rain hits wildfire-burned areas

Shoulda raked the forest.

We all knew it was the next phase. Same as it is every year we have terrible fires.

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

I was entertained by a total idiot yesterday who insisted the answer was for California to employ goats to eat the brush. Voila, no more fires!

So.... how many goats do you need to clear 160,000 square miles with inaccessible mountainous regions? How's do you get the goats to where they need to go? How do you get them out when they're done?

Yeah, we use this method in very limited areas, but it's just not scalable.

Controlled burns are the only way to really do it.

Of course thanks to climate change its always so dry that a controlled burn could rapidly go uncontrolled and with all the rich folks moving into these regions they NIMBY away the controlled burns or budget cuts to the federal forestry people mean there is just not money to do it anymore.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

goats are BAD for the environment, in general
    they destroy damn near everything.
    humans kill the wolves, bears, cougars whatever that would eat the goats and keep them in check
    then folk would flip if you reintroduce enough predators

properly managing forests is a real major, ever endless task and it costs money
    so of course rich fucks don't want to pay for it and too many short sighted twits don't see the need for certain things
    and selfish shitheads set fires for fun and morons don't' watch their camp fires etc

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

Millions of goats breeding and eating everything in sight. What could go wrong? I'm just amazed at how clever this lady thought she was.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Merkus View Post
    I was entertained by a total idiot yesterday who insisted the answer was for California to employ goats to eat the brush. Voila, no more fires!

So.... how many goats do you need to clear 160,000 square miles with inaccessible mountainous regions? How's do you get the goats to where they need to go? How do you get them out when they're done?

Yeah, we use this method in very limited areas, but it's just not scalable.
    My daughter lives in a condo in Pacifica, a town on the coast just south of San Francisco, and right behind their small patio is a steep hill. The owners of the land use goats to keep grass and weeds down since it is too steep for a mower of any kind. Granted it's not 160,000 acres, but I thought it was funny you brought that up. Definitely not a solution for an entire state, but works fairly well in small spaces. By the way, the goats aren't there all the time, just when he thinks the undergrowth is getting too long.
    'This world may be another planet's hell.'{Aldous Huxley}
    'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'{Aldous Huxley}

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

Bonlainy
    yeha used a "organic lawn mowers", goats, sheep and other such can do a good job

but not wild
    there's reasons some parts of the world, including parts of my own country, are treeless and desolate
    lot of our forests were cut down for pit props and the Royal navy
    then with the extermination of wolves there was noting to keep the goats and deer in balance....they destroyed the young trees and bushes
    goats are by FAR the worst that I know of for damaging bush/tree growth

so yeah, Merkus hits the nail on the head....
    it would take a LOT of hunters to keep them in a proper reasonable balance, a lot of well PLANNED hunting at that.

nowadays we have problems with huge numbers of sickly deer,
    because of anti-gun media frenzy and rules,
    the fact the rich shitheads owned the land and owned guns (I believe we went too far in gun control, bit complex but for hunting rifle you have to prove you have land you can shoot on with ownership or written permission...which means rich find it much easier to own firearms, which is not actually a good thing...but we don't get anything like the number of fuckwits with firearms though as US does. idiots scare me mostly with guns or ANY damn thing from a Zippo to a nuclear "football"),
    wolves gone,
    led to the deer population explosion and poor things damaging forests and being very sickly

environmental management is NOT a short term or simple thing.
    so SO angry at the scum ripping up so many of the UK (especially S England) hedge rowed fields here to make big commercial farms owned by companies who care or know not a jot for anything but ££££
    took literally a thousand years to build up those hedgerows, coppices, managed woods etc, and greedy vermin wasted lot of 'em
    meh

Elder Arcanist

To Prevent Fires, One California Town Says 'Goat Fund Me'

Nestled in the foothills of California’s Sierra Nevada Mountains is the quaint Gold Rush town of Nevada City. Surrounded by unkempt brush, the old, highly flammable city is in danger: With California’s wildfires raging with unprecedented ferocity in recent years, one spark could doom Nevada City to the same fate that neighboring Paradise met in November.

But not if the goats get there first. Realizing its predicament, Nevada City has launched a crowdfunding campaign to pay goats (or, more accurately, their herders) to clear brush at the edges of town. It’s called, yes, Goat Fund Me. And it’s part of an ungulate awakening: All across the state, business is booming for herders as panicked homeowners and towns reckon with the wildfire menace.

There is no single explanation for why California’s wildfire problem has gotten so bad. Climate change is one—less rain in the fall means dryer brush, which in turn coincides with seasonal winds that fan massive blazes. More cities encroaching on wildlands is another.

Yet a third factor—the one most pertinent to the interests of goats—is the fact that California has been really, really bad about clearing the brush that turns into tinder. For comparison, the southeastern US, an area only five times bigger than California, did prescribed burns on 5.5 million acres last year, 100 times more than the Golden State. Prescribed burns are expensive, and a huge chunk of California’s fire money goes to battling ever-larger blazes.

Goats, though? A herd's work is relatively cheap, around $1,000 an acre (200 goats can tear through an acre a day). “I realized money was an issue,” says Nevada City vice mayor Reinette Senum, who launched Goat Fund Me. “We can go out and pursue grants but that takes months, and we don't have months.” The best time for the goats to do their thing is in the winter, before new growth blooms during the rains of spring. That and the ranchers already have their goats rented out for the rest of the year.

The first step is to identify the most prone areas with the help of the fire chief, then reach out to residents there to tell them that there might soon be a special scent in the air. “You've got to let neighbors know: For a couple days you might get a smell,” Senum says. “Your dogs might be disturbed because they're smelling goats and may want to go after them.”

To be clear, the goats don’t work alone. They have human handlers and their own muscle in the form of a big white dog. “They're fiercely protective,” says Brad Fowler, owner of vegetation management company The Goat Works, which is working with the city. “In California we've got mountain lions and coyotes and, recently, wolves. The dogs, just by their presence and their bark, discourage predators to go somewhere else.”

The operation doesn’t simply amount to letting goats loose on a property. “Basically we have a mobile ranch,” Fowler says. “We're taking a ranch, essentially with all the infrastructure that's included in that, to every place we go.” The team sets up solar-powered electric fences to keep the goats penned in a particular area. If possible, they hunt down local creeks or ponds, but they may also truck in their own water.

But for the most part, once they’re in place, the goats are self-starters. They’re highly efficient vegetation managers, since they convert a plant’s solar energy into protein and poop, which nourishes the ecosystem, whereas human crews have to cart off what they clear. They’ll eat most plants from the shoulder up, so dead grasses and such. (If you want to really clear grass, sheep are your best bet.) Nevada City has a particular problem with out-of-control blackberry bushes, whose thorns are no problem for the goats. “They've got really nimble lips,” says Fowler. “It's funny to watch them. They'll hold the branch with their lips and reach in and bite it off with their back teeth.”

Being goats, though, they don’t necessarily abide by human notions of containment. “A bad day would be, you get a call that all your animals are two miles away from where they're supposed to be,” says Fowler. “The good news is when that happens, people don't get as upset about it as they would if, say, your bulldozer got loose and ran over a bunch of houses. As long as they stay out of traffic, I’m OK.”

On their own, goats only do part of the job; they’re more of an advance party. They get in there and strip out the brush enough for human crews to come in with chainsaws to cart away the bigger branches and such. Of particular convenience is the fact that goats will happily eat poison oak. “They're cute little things, but it's only one little piece,” says Senum. “Who doesn't love a goat?

Still, the firefighting ruminant business is booming in California, beyond Nevada City. “It seems like everybody kind of woke up with these big fires,” says Fowler. “And I tell you what, there's a huge opportunity. If somebody wants to get into the business, now would be a good time.”

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

Can they rake?