Thread: Flooding in California as rain hits wildfire-burned areas

Elder Arcanist

Flooding in California as rain hits wildfire-burned areas

Mangina at large.

Re: Flooding in California as rain hits wildfire-burned areas

Shoulda raked the forest.

We all knew it was the next phase. Same as it is every year we have terrible fires.

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

I was entertained by a total idiot yesterday who insisted the answer was for California to employ goats to eat the brush. Voila, no more fires!

So.... how many goats do you need to clear 160,000 square miles with inaccessible mountainous regions? How's do you get the goats to where they need to go? How do you get them out when they're done?

Yeah, we use this method in very limited areas, but it's just not scalable.

Controlled burns are the only way to really do it.

Of course thanks to climate change its always so dry that a controlled burn could rapidly go uncontrolled and with all the rich folks moving into these regions they NIMBY away the controlled burns or budget cuts to the federal forestry people mean there is just not money to do it anymore.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

goats are BAD for the environment, in general
    they destroy damn near everything.
    humans kill the wolves, bears, cougars whatever that would eat the goats and keep them in check
    then folk would flip if you reintroduce enough predators

properly managing forests is a real major, ever endless task and it costs money
    so of course rich fucks don't want to pay for it and too many short sighted twits don't see the need for certain things
    and selfish shitheads set fires for fun and morons don't' watch their camp fires etc

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

Millions of goats breeding and eating everything in sight. What could go wrong? I'm just amazed at how clever this lady thought she was.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Merkus View Post
    I was entertained by a total idiot yesterday who insisted the answer was for California to employ goats to eat the brush. Voila, no more fires!

So.... how many goats do you need to clear 160,000 square miles with inaccessible mountainous regions? How's do you get the goats to where they need to go? How do you get them out when they're done?

Yeah, we use this method in very limited areas, but it's just not scalable.
    My daughter lives in a condo in Pacifica, a town on the coast just south of San Francisco, and right behind their small patio is a steep hill. The owners of the land use goats to keep grass and weeds down since it is too steep for a mower of any kind. Granted it's not 160,000 acres, but I thought it was funny you brought that up. Definitely not a solution for an entire state, but works fairly well in small spaces. By the way, the goats aren't there all the time, just when he thinks the undergrowth is getting too long.
    'This world may be another planet's hell.'{Aldous Huxley}
    'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'{Aldous Huxley}

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

Bonlainy
    yeha used a "organic lawn mowers", goats, sheep and other such can do a good job

but not wild
    there's reasons some parts of the world, including parts of my own country, are treeless and desolate
    lot of our forests were cut down for pit props and the Royal navy
    then with the extermination of wolves there was noting to keep the goats and deer in balance....they destroyed the young trees and bushes
    goats are by FAR the worst that I know of for damaging bush/tree growth

so yeah, Merkus hits the nail on the head....
    it would take a LOT of hunters to keep them in a proper reasonable balance, a lot of well PLANNED hunting at that.

nowadays we have problems with huge numbers of sickly deer,
    because of anti-gun media frenzy and rules,
    the fact the rich shitheads owned the land and owned guns (I believe we went too far in gun control, bit complex but for hunting rifle you have to prove you have land you can shoot on with ownership or written permission...which means rich find it much easier to own firearms, which is not actually a good thing...but we don't get anything like the number of fuckwits with firearms though as US does. idiots scare me mostly with guns or ANY damn thing from a Zippo to a nuclear "football"),
    wolves gone,
    led to the deer population explosion and poor things damaging forests and being very sickly

environmental management is NOT a short term or simple thing.
    so SO angry at the scum ripping up so many of the UK (especially S England) hedge rowed fields here to make big commercial farms owned by companies who care or know not a jot for anything but ££££
    took literally a thousand years to build up those hedgerows, coppices, managed woods etc, and greedy vermin wasted lot of 'em
    meh