Thread: December '18 Release Thread

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

December '18 Release Thread

December is usually a pretty dry month for new releases, with most of the year's big titles releasing before the peak in holiday shopping. There is always at least one exception, and this year there is a pretty big one. For awhile I expected it to be the only thing worth talking about, but we've got a few other contenders as well.

The biggest game this month is Super Smash Brothers Ultimate for the Switch. While not a game for everyone, it's fanbase is massive and the anticipation has only grown heading towards release. Switch sales are actually below expectation for Nintendo this year, but if anything can turn that around it's this franchise. We've already got a thread for this, but in short Ultimate includes every character from every Smash game along with a few new ones. It also has a kind of weird looking single player mode, but it's unclear if it is going to be worth getting for that alone (probably not). If you don't know what this series is about, it's basically a party fighting game featuring Nintendo characters.

If it weren't for the massive franchise strength of Smash Brothers, as well as the generally disappointing reception to the previous game, I might have said Just Cause 4 would be the biggest game this month. It's certainly the one that will appeal more to the wider audience that like games with shooting and explosions. It features a large open world that is designed with chaos and destruction in mind. Most of the fun comes from creative uses of gameplay mechanics (grapple, tether, wingsuit, gadgets, etc). The new feature for this game is natural disasters for specific environmental biomes. The one they keep showing off is as super tornado that roams the map.

Those are the big releases, but we have several notable smaller releases as well. The one I am personally most hopeful for is Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden. This, I believe, is based off of a tabletop game. Post apocalypse setting; turn based tactics/strategy game. Easiest comparison is XCOM, but I wonder if it might not have more rpg elements considering its roots.

Another notable small project is Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. This was originally a Kickstarter game to create a 2D platforming sequel to a silly game called "Flying Hamster". It failed, but managed to impress a publishing studio and was re-branded to Monster Boy. The game itself is designed to evoke the old Wonder Boy games, and is notable for its lavish 2D art. I expect this to be popular with fans of the genre and ignored by everyone else.

There are always games each month that I find worth including on the list, but not worth talking about. Earth Defense Force 5 is one of those games. I only bring it up now because while the games in this series are notoriously bad, for some reason some segment of the population likes them anyway. The gameplay conceit is something like this: giant ants or spiders or robots or some other campy sci-fi enemy invades earth and it's up to you to fight hundreds of them.

Lastly I don't really expect anyone here to care about this franchise, but it's still a fairly major release. A few years ago Atlus was purchased by Sega and one of their first works of collaboration was to create a rhythm game offshoot featuring Persona 4 characters using Sega's Hatsune Miku games as a template. It was apparently very successful, so now they are doing the same both for Persona 3 and Persona 5.

These games feature remixed tracks from their respective games with characters dancing to the music. Obvious niche appeal, but generally well made. I will say that I tried the demo of this and it made me feel a bit ill. The interface is clearly designed with a handheld in mind, as the notes you have to hit go to the edges of the screen. Not hard to keep track of on a small portable screen, but on a TV? With dozens of notes going to every corner of my TV at the same time? It made my brain bleed. I already had criticisms to their rhythm design from the previous entry, and this is enough for me to pass on this for now. Still, the style is pretty cool and I'm curious about the soundtrack.

Spoiler for December releases:

Multiplatform
    • Just Cause 4 (December) - action adventure
    • Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden (December) - tactics/turn based strategy
    • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (December) - platformer

PS4
    • Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight (December) - Rhythm
    • Persona 4: Dancing All Night (December) - Rhythm
    • Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight (December) - Rhythm
    • Earth Defense Force 5 (December) - action
    • Subnautica (December) - survival
    • Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales (December) - card game
    • The Last Remnant: Remastered (December) - jrpg
    • PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (December) - battle royale

Xone

• Subnautica (December) - survival
    • Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales (December) - card game

Switch
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate (December) - fighting
    • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (December) - platformer

VITA
    • Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight (December) - Rhythm
    • Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight (December) - Rhythm

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Re: December '18 Release Thread

Anyone picking anything up this month?

I've had a lot of fun with Smash Brothers in the past but I haven't decided if I'm going to get this new version or not. These games are best played with others locally, which isn't as convenient for me at the moment as it has been in the past. Also keenly interested in Mutant Year Zero, though there are enough similar games that I've skipped that I wouldn't feel bad about waiting. Monster Boy similarly is Steam Sale bait.

PS+

PS4
    Soma
    Onrush
    PS3
    Steredenn
    SteinsGate
    Vita
    Iconoclasts (PS4)
    Papers, Please

Games with Gold

Xone
    Q.U.B.E. 2
    Never Alone
    Dragon Age 2
    Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction

Played Never Alone, didn't like it. Liked Dragon Age 2 a lot, but this is not a common sentiment. Don't know what QUBE is, other than seeing it on sale all the time. I've heard good things about Soma, Onrush is one of the more notable racing games this year, SteinsGate is amazing, and I'm really pleased to get Iconoclasts, something I was going to pick up myself during the next Steam Sale anyway.

Trailers:

Last edited by Wool; November 29th, 2018 at 06:33 PM.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Re: December '18 Release Thread

Monster Boy looks like a lot of fun, and while I'm not sure if I'll get it on Switch or Steam, I will probably wait until it's on sale.

I'm looking forward to Smash, even though I'll most likely only be playing single-player.