Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mid-term elections & aftermath

Elder Arcanist

Re: mid-term elections & aftermath

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of headlines suggesting reasons he isn't a desirable choice. I haven't read the stories yet, but mean to at least read his cnn op-ed about the special counsel.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Ruldar View Post
    I helped flip my Oklahoma house district, so I am very pleased about that.
    Your district is a small island of blue in a vast sea of red

Elder Arcanist

The House got flipped and we got rid of Kobach finally in Kansas. That's good enough for me out of these mid-terms.

Chaotic Good

Here in NJ we added 3 democrats to the house.

My real fun as a number cruncher has been my local town election.
    Republican mayor with a mix if Dem/Ind council, town has been slowly turning the council blue.

Election night for two council seats put the council at all 6 Dem.

Mayor was up for election and decided not to run, a Rep council member who lost a re-election bid took his place, and no Dem on the ticket, just a displaced Ind ex-council member running for mayor.
    At the end of the Tuesday night, the Ind was -10ish.
    Next morning, Ind+17 (1,640 to 1,623)
    Today, election night mail-ins put the Ind +32, with a few more mail-ins allowed to trickle in by 48hours after polls closed.

It's been a highly contested string of elections due to our mall.
    Kushner owns a large interest in our mall, and had been working with the Rep mayor and council members to tear down the mall and make luxury apartment towers instead.

Much vitriol ensued. Including the above mentioned turning of the council from red to blue as those of us who live next to the mall begged not to turn it into a "24/7 live work play" vision.

Rep mayor stacked the planning and zoning board with the Reps that got voted out of council, etc.

Local politics at its finest, because as I said up there in my rambling, the challenger is only +32 now.

The real fun is that the departing Rep mayor only won by TWO votes six years ago.
    The (then incumbent) Dem that he beat started a write in campaign, which I feared would split the vote in favor of the apartment tower clique. So that IND thats only up 32 had about 620 siphoned off to the old guard.

May you live in interesting times indeed.

Elder Arcanist

Arizona senate race currently looks like...

MARTHA MCSALLY (R) 856,848 49%

KYRSTEN SINEMA (D) 839,775 48%

ANGELA GREEN (G) 38,978 2%
    Sinema has slight lead with 345,000 ballots left to count in Maricopa County

PHOENIX (KPNX) – Two days after Tuesday’s election, votes are still being counted statewide, and Arizona’s biggest race is still too close to call.

The latest numbers on Arizona’s Secretary of State website show Kyrsten Sinema has a very slight lead of about 2,000 votes over Martha McSally.

As of Thursday at 5 p.m., about 345,000 more votes still need to be counted, according to Maricopa County Recorder Adrian Fontes.

Election officials said about 150,000 early ballots that the elections department received before Nov. 6 must be tabulated.

Part of the reason counting votes takes so long is that his office enters some data into the computer system manually.

Four local Republican parties requested to immediately stop counting ballots when they filed a lawsuit challenging the way the county is handling mail-in ballots pending signature verifications. However, a superior court judge denied that request.

A hearing for the GOP challenge on mail-in ballot signatures is set for Friday at 2 p.m.

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

Katie Porter is closing the gap!

I am befuddled on all the cali propositions.

We had more petitioned signatures against the gas tax than voter turn out against it. Amr managed to not get turned down by the state veto even though their union voted against ot and it never should have gone to GP in the first place.

Mangina at large.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Deabn View Post
    Andrew Napolitano and George Conway are saying Whitaker doesn't meet the requirements to be interim A.G. -- that only Senate confirmees are eligible. I'm not sure what to make of that as it seems pretty straightforward, but my usual sources didn't mention it where I would have expected them to.
    Here's an answer as to why Whitaker is eligible: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/09/o...itutional.html

Elder Arcanist

Kyrsten Sinema Lead Expands To 22k In Arizona Senate Race | Hardball | MSNBC

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

Katie Porter just might win. She's been getting around 60% in the late vote counts.

Forum Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Deabn View Post
    Here's an answer as to why Whitaker is eligible: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/09/o...itutional.html
    And here is an analysis as to why that argument is invalid (apples to oranges).

https://twitter.com/AshaRangappa_/st...70667317825536

TL;DR version

The 1898 case involved the consul-general of Siam becoming ill. The vice-consul was not in Siam and "unqualified" and so unable to take place of consul; President wanted to name an 'acting' consul-general.

Elder Arcanist

So Whitaker was involved with the World Patent scam company that the FTC shut down and fined nearly $26 million. The company that reportedly targeted military veterans and bilked them out of their life savings. The FBI is actively investigating this company for possible criminal charges and Whitaker is now the head of the DoJ, which includes the FBI?

As Maddow pointed out Friday night: if the FBI wants to arrest Whitaker, will Whitaker have to sign off on the arrest warrant?

Boy, Donnie sure knows how to pick 'em!

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

The dem in my district is less than half a point behind in the latest update.

Elder Arcanist

The democrat won in the AZ senate race, so we aren't complete fuckups. Nice to see that this state will be in actual play in the future.

Elder Arcanist

Defeated GOP congressman blames McCain for House flipping

Washington (CNN) — A Republican unseated in the midterm elections last week has come out with an op-ed blaming the late Arizona GOP Sen. John McCain for the party losing control of the House.

In a Wall Street Journal opinion piece, outgoing Minnesota GOP Rep. Jason Lewis pinned the wave of Democratic victories last week on McCain's vote in July 2017 to sink a GOP attempt to repeal Obamacare.

"MCain's last-minute decision prompted a 'green wave' of liberal special-interest money, which was used to propagate false claims that the House plan 'gutted coverage for people with pre-existing conditions,'" Lewis wrote.

McCain, along with Sens. Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, crossed party lines to defeat the GOP's so-called "skinny repeal" of Obamacare. The bill would have allowed states to waive key provisions in the landmark health care law, such as the requirements that insurers provide comprehensive coverage and put limits on consumers' out-of-pocket spending. This would have likely raised costs for people with pre-existing conditions.

Health care was one of the most talked about issues in the midterm elections, and Obamacare's protections for those with pre-existing conditions became a major point of focus. Despite the provisions of the White House-supported repeal effort and the Justice Department's own legal filings to the contrary, President Donald Trump tweeted in late October that "Republicans will totally protect people with Pre-Existing Conditions."

McCain died earlier this year and was a famed veteran of the Vietnam War. Lewis' op-ed was published on Veterans' Day.

Meghan McCain, daughter of the late senator, responded to the piece on Twitter, writing, "This is abhorrent."

Lewis, in his op-ed, maintained that under Obamacare "all policyholders are charged as if they are sick." The House GOP repeal bill contained provisions that "were an attempt to alleviate the pre-existing condition problem, not exacerbate it," and that without the bill being passed, Republicans couldn't campaign on it.

Lewis hails from Minnesota's second district and was defeated by Democrat Angie Craig. The race attracted some national attention after a CNN review of audio from a radio program Lewis hosted found that the congressman had a history of misogynistic comments, including complaining people could not call women "sluts."

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Yeah, Lewis is a piece of work.

He was basically the Minneapolis version of Rush Limbaugh.
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Gidizlo View Post
    And here is an analysis as to why that argument is invalid (apples to oranges).

https://twitter.com/AshaRangappa_/st...70667317825536

TL;DR version

The 1898 case involved the consul-general of Siam becoming ill. The vice-consul was not in Siam and "unqualified" and so unable to take place of consul; President wanted to name an 'acting' consul-general.
    Looks like we may get an answer from a court. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/13/u...pointment.html

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

Katie has pulled ahead in the latest count and that's not likely to reverse!!!

Irvine contributed 62% of the Katie vote and we're probably the biggest city in the District.

https://medium.com/@RyanDack/state-o...n-fab5c066805a
    Last edited by Merkus; Yesterday at 06:30 PM.