Thread: November '18 Release Thread

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

November '18 Release Thread

November is the last chance for companies to release their games before the end of holiday shopping season. There aren't as many massive releases this month, but there are still a few pretty big ones.

And which one of those games is the biggest? On paper it should be Battlefield 5. Huge, established franchise, high budget, one of a big publisher's biggest games. Everything I've seen suggests they want to make this game bigger and better than any that came before it. There are also signs that the Battlefront 2 blowback has caused them to shift to a more consumer friendly strategy. And yet... no one is talking about it. In the face of Black Ops 4's huge success, not many people seem to be betting on Battlefield this year. Their Battle Royale mode doesn't even come out until March, though they do have a few other new modes at launch: a 4 player co-op mode, and a multi-match mode where the outcome determines the conditions of the next match.

If Battlefield 5 is the biggest game on paper, Hitman 2 might be the biggest game in gamer hearts. The previous game was a massive success for what it was. No one thought an episodic action game would work, but the fundamentals of each stage and the overall gameplay design were so solid that people ended up raving about it all year. The future of the franchise then seemed dire as Square Enix announced they would cut support for all but what they saw as their core franchises and studios. Luckily, the developer retained the rights and found a new publisher. This time the game will not be episodic, but release as one overall package. Aside from a new co-op mode, the rest of the design seems to largely be the same.

Biggest game most likely to be completely overlooked: Darksiders 3. Darksiders is a solid franchise that never really got the success it needed to survive. It's a very comic book inspired take on the four horsemen of the apocalypse, with each game having a different gameplay style and featuring a new horseman. The publisher that owned the IP went out of business, and the franchise is only just now trying to make a comeback. I would be very excited, except I haven't heard a single peep about this. This game already has an uphill battle, little to no marketing is not going to help!

The biggest game that no one is going to like but they are going to buy anyway: Fallout 76. We've already got a thread on this, there isn't much more to be said. It's the multiplayer Fallout game people asked for when Fallout 4 came out. Except Bethesda still makes buggy games and people don't have the patience for it anymore. I expect a small but devoted following and a lot of people making a sport out of trashing on it.

The biggest game your kids will want to play: Spyro Reignited Trilogy. A year or two ago Activision gave in to fan demand and remade their old Crash Bandicoot games. These remakes ended up being ridiculously successful, which encouraged Activision to remake another one of their other classic PS1 era franchises: Spyro. Unlike Crash, Spyro didn't just vanish into the ether over time. It's a very kid friendly franchise, and spawned the ridiculously successful Toys-2-Life genre of kids games. This remake goes back to it's adventure platformer roots, and should probably do pretty well.

The biggest game you've never heard of: Underworld Ascendant. This game is actually a sequel to the Ultima Underworld games. The creator was allowed to use the setting, but not the brand. I've heard from early previews that this game is very rough. I do not expect good performance or sales. But it sounds ambitious enough to gain a following. It's an rpg with no pre-set classes. The focus is on non-linear progression and simulated systems that react to your actions, rather than predefined solutions.

The biggest game everyone will take for granted: Tetris Effect. Tetris is one of the most successful video games of all time. This particular version is being made by the creator of Rez and Lumines (also high profile puzzle games). It retains the classic gameplay design of the original, while adding the visual and audio flair you would expect from a modern puzzle game (particularly one with Rez and Lumines lineage). It has a plethora of game modes to suit your mood, and at least one new gameplay addition: the ability to freeze time and consequently clear more than four lines at once.

The biggest Nintendo game this month is Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu and Let's Go, Eevee. Following Pokemon tradition, this is actually two versions of the same game, with the version you get determining the companion Pokemon on your journey. This is a big deal, but also not. This has always been a series meant for kids to be able to play on the go, but as fans grow up they have gradually wanted a Pokemon they could play on their TV. This game finally fulfills that desire, but the connection to the mobile version has a lot of fans turning up their noses. For the record, the content of the game itself is a remake of Red and Blue, the very first Pokemon games. I think it should still do pretty well.

The biggest Nintendo Switch game not made by Nintendo: Diablo III. Much rumored earlier in the year and finally confirmed. Diablo 3 was extremely successful on consoles, and it being available on Switch is considered big news in that particular sphere. It's even getting a dang amiibo.

Finally, the biggest game that isn't Half Life 3: Artifact. DOTA 2 is a cash cow that has ensured Valve never has to make another new game ever again. Well I guess a couple of their remaining developers got bored, because they decided to announce a collectible card game, much to the dismay of their fans at the time. This is that card game. This genre is kind of hot right now. It will be interesting to see if this can duplicate DOTA's success or if the currently reigning champions simply have too much clout this time around.

I got a little carried away this month, but I swear these were all worth talking about. For a list of the few games I didn't make a summary for, check the tag below. And as always, let us know if there is anything you are excited about that I missed.

Spoiler for November releases:

PC
    • Artifact (November) - card game
    • Underworld Ascendant (November) - action rpg
    • Overkill's The Walking Dead (November) - first person shooter
    • Katamari Damacy Reroll (November) - puzzle

Multiplatform
    • Battlefield V (November) - first person shooter
    • Fallout 76 (November) - sandbox multiplayer rpg
    • Hitman 2 (November) - stealth/action
    • Darksiders 3 (November) - action adventure
    • World of Final Fantasy Maxima (November) - rpg re-release
    • Farming Simulator 19 (November) - simulation

PS4
    • Tetris Effect (November) - puzzle
    • Spyro Reignited Trilogy (November) - action adventure platformer remake
    • Wreckfest (November) - racing/vehicle combat

Xone

• Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Delayed - November) - action adventure platformer remake
    • Wreckfest (November) - racing/vehicle combat

Switch
    • Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! (November) - rpg
    • Diablo III: Eternal Collection (November) - action rpg
    • World of Final Fantasy Maxima (November) - rpg re-release
    • Moonlighter (November) - indie action rpg
    • Civilization 6 (November) - 4x strategy
    • Katamari Damacy Reroll (November) - puzzle
    • SNK 40th Anniversary Collection (November) - compilation pack

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Re: November '18 Release Thread

There is quite a lot to choose from this month, is anyone looking forward to anything in particular?

I'll give Artifact a shot if it's free, but the game I'm most interested in is Darksiders 3. I was a big fan of the previous games in the series. I'm wary due to the lack of pre-release information however. I know gameplay is out there, but there isn't as much as you might expect from a high profile release. There certainly hasn't been very much marketing or word of mouth. I only know this is still coming out because I looked it up.

Most likely I won't get any new releases and will instead wait for Black Friday sales to pick up stuff I missed earlier in the year. God of War and Spider-Man are my biggest regrets, but I've skipped nearly everything else this year as well. Heck, I still haven't gotten Nier from last year either.

PS+

PS4
    Yakuza Kiwami
    Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition
    PS3
    Jackbox Party Pack 2
    Arkedo Series
    Vita
    Roundabout (PS4)
    Burly Men At Sea (PS4)

Games with Gold

Xone
    Battlefield 1
    Race the Sun
    Assassin's Creed
    Dante's Inferno

Pretty happy with PS+ offerings. Yakuza Kiwami is not an expensive game ($20 last I checked), but I've just never gotten around to getting it. I've already played Bulletstorm, but it's one of my favorite first person shooters so the more people that get to try it the better. Jackbox is a solid party game franchise.

Battlefield 1 is a pretty nice get for Games with Gold, though I personally don't like Race the Sun as much as other people. I also think the backwards compatibility games this month are just "okay".

Trailers: A lot this month. If you only have time for two I recommend Battlefield 5 and Tetris Effect.

Last edited by Wool; November 1st, 2018 at 08:01 AM.