Thread: Saudi Arabia may have murdered someone in their consulate.

Mangina at large.

Saudi Arabia may have murdered someone in their consulate.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45775819

Quote Originally Posted by Article excerpt
    Fears are growing over missing Washington Post writer Jamal Khashoggi, after Turkish officials said they believe he has been murdered.

Mr Khashoggi, a Saudi national, went missing after visiting the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Tuesday.

A Turkish official told the BBC that initial investigations indicated he was murdered there.

Saudi Arabia has denied the accusations, saying it is "working to search for him".

The Washington Post said it would be a "monstrous and unfathomable act" if he had been killed.

The BBC's Istanbul correspondent, Mark Lowen, said it would plunge Turkish-Saudi relations into an unprecedented crisis.
    If it's discovered that he was murdered, I wonder what happens with America-Turkey relations. As the article points out, Turkey would expect its NATO allies to back them up with sanctions against the Saudis. But Trump is buddy-buddy with the Saudis, and a lack of support from NATO could push Turkey towards Russia, which has been trying to cozy up to them.

At least it's refreshing to have a "Middle East clusterfuck" story that has absolutely no ties to Israel whatsoever!

Mangina at large.

Re: Saudi Arabia may have murdered someone in their consulate.

More on this story, and links between the Saudis and Silicon Valley:

https://gizmodo.com/silicon-valley-l...dal-1829586645

Mangina at large.

American intelligence has intercepts of Saudi officials discussing how to lure Khashoggi back to Saudi Arabia. So now the working theory is the killing would have been a kidnapping gone wrong:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/11/polit...ist/index.html

Trump’s handling might be based on impact to arms deal
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...ppearance.html
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist

Well, it looks like Turkey has audio and video of the whole thing. Khashoggi was supposedly captured, tortured, murdered and dismembered.

A permanent resident of America, a journalist with the Washington Post, and Trump isn't inclined to do anything because of an arms deal. According to MSNBC this morning, the arms deal in question is one that's more of a "promise to buy something in the future" than an actual deal. It started back during the Obama administration and even if it goes through completely, it won't be for several years down the road. So the arms deal is a smokescreen.

Trump doesn't want to to anything because Khashoggi was a Saudi Citizen, but as others have pointed out, he is a permanent resident of the U.S. In truth, I don't think he wants to risk his cash cow in Saudi Arabia. Him and Kushner are making hundreds of millions of dollars off that country.

The Senate has invoked the Magnitsky act, forcing Trump to investigate within 120 days and report his findings.

I think we're going to be hearing about this for a while

*edit to add* More information about the arms deal. Washington Post says it's BS
    Last edited by Khieran; October 12th, 2018 at 05:51 AM.

Can Congress go over Trump's helmet if he decided to take inaction and enact sanctions on their own? I mean it would require something unheard of I am sure, Bipartisan support.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    Can Congress go over Trump's helmet if he decided to take inaction and enact sanctions on their own? I mean it would require something unheard of I am sure, Bipartisan support.
    They can pass a sanctions bill and make Trump either sign it or veto it. But they passed a Russian sanctions bill and left it up to Trump as to whether or not he imposed them... any bill they pass now would have to be stronger than that.

Entropy happens

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    Can Congress go over Trump's helmet if he decided to take inaction and enact sanctions on their own?
    it's more like, *around* his helmet.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-45850514

So hes going to slap them on both wrists instead of just one?
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist

Trump's Conspiracy Theory About A Saudi Journalist's Death -- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert

The Saudis absolutely did whack that guy, It fits their MO as a nation. Trump will not do anything because he is so far in bed with the Saudis he probably uses crude as lube.
    — Jerry Seinfeld

All hat & no cattle

Of course they did. Nobody rightfully believe otherwise.
    They even had a cleaning crew coming in before the Turkish investigators.

It doesn't matter though, money is all that matters, and they have plenty of that.
    Proportionally it feels a bit wrong how much coverage this murder gets, compared to the innocent children killed in Saudi bombing raids in Yemen, though.

Mangina at large.

CNN is saying the Saudis are going to fess up, claiming it was an interrogation that went wrong:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/16/middl...ntl/index.html

We'll see if that actually happens so long as Trump is willing to cover for them, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Milton
    Proportionally it feels a bit wrong how much coverage this murder gets, compared to the innocent children killed in Saudi bombing raids in Yemen, though.
    My hope is coverage of this stops that. This is the sort of story that can open the floodgates on "Saudis are bad" stories, and the Saudis may be forced into paring back some of the evil (like the Yemen campaign) to try and swing opinion back their way before something serious happens, like a halt to American arms sales. Hey, I can dream, right?

No prison can hold me!

As long as you know you're dreaming.
    ------------------------------------------
    I *AM* the Chinpokomon master!

Elder Arcanist

"Interrogation went wrong"

Yeah... they brought 15 guys and a bone saw to the "interrogation" and they they're surprised when it "went wrong"?

Elder Arcanist