Thread: October '18 Release Thread

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

October '18 Release Thread

October is always a packed month, full of big games that don't want to go toe-to-toe with Call of Duty in November. Well Call of Duty has vacated November and is joining the rest of the pack this year, making things even more ridiculous. I'll break it down as best I can.

The aforementioned Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 is the obvious pick for biggest game this month, as it is every year. It really seemed like the series was set up for a decline recently, but going back to World War 2 seemingly reinvigorated the franchise. Black Ops 4 itself has been met with lukewarm anticipation all year, capped off by publisher marketing strategies that seem intent on pushing players away from the game. That was until they finally showed their Battle Royale mode. While Fortnite may have eaten PUBG's lunch, it isn't really the same style of game. By all accounts, Black Ops 4 is the same style of game, just better.

Edit: One important caveat that I forgot to mention, and a reason why people were initially down on this. Call of Duty will not be including a single player campaign this year. It's 100% a multiplayer game now, albeit one with three different multiplayer modes. Conventional multiplayer, Battle Royale, and their Zombies co-op mode.

In a world without Call of Duty, I would most likely be awarding Red Dead Redemption 2 the title of biggest game of the month. This is the highly anticipated sequel to Rockstar's open world western. Not much more needs to be said. It's a prequel based off of Dutch's gang, though you play as a new character. Specifics on multiplayer have not been released, but with how insanely popular GTA5 Online is even to this day, I think you can expect something of a similar magnitude.

In a world without Call of Duty or Red Dead Redemption 2, I would most likely be awarding Assassin's Creed Odyssey the title of biggest game of the month. This particular game takes place in Ancient Greece and allows you to choose the gender of your main character. They also seem to be trying to branch out with their dialogue a bit. This series recently went on hiatus and came back with a gameplay overhaul, a move that proved to be successful. They have seemingly returned to their yearly cycle, and the question remains if the success will continue or if fatigue will kick back in again.

Rounding things out are Mega Man 11 and Soul Calibur VI. As a fighting game, the latter has very niche appeal, but this is also one of the more casual friendly games of the genre so there is quite a lot of excitement surrounding it. I honestly couldn't tell you any more than that. Mega Man also seems to be getting a fair amount of excitement. Rather than being a retro throwback like 9 and 10, 11 is trying to modernize the series in a few very small ways. The main difference is the inclusion of two new mechanics: a slowdown and a power-up, both toggles sharing the same meter.

Lastly, Forza Horizon 4 is out this month on Xbox and PC. Horizon I believe is the more popular arm of the franchise, being a bit more open-ended and less technical than Motorsport. The big feature they are pushing for this entry is the inclusion of seasons that alter the maps from week to week.

The Switch also has a fairly decent month. Square re-releases underappreciated The World Ends With You with new content. Super Mario Party goes back to what people seemingly liked about the series. The previously announced Dark Souls Remastered finally comes out on the system. And while it isn't a console exclusive, the Switch version of Starlink: Battle for Atlas comes with an undetermined amount of Star Fox content, seemingly making it the preferred version, as this crossover seems to be why anyone cares about this game at all. Barring Star Fox, all you need to know is that this is a Toys-to-Life game about building toy spaceships and syncing them with your controller to change the loadout of your spaceship in-game.

Last but not least, the 3DS keeps trucking with a port of the original Luigi's Mansion from the Gamecube. At some point in the past someone had the bright idea to give Luigi his own game, a game in which he sucks up ghosts in a haunted mansion with a vacuum cleaner. This series might have been what helped solidify his character as something other than "Green Mario".

Spoiler for October releases:

PC
    • Forza Horizon 4 (October) - racing

Multiplatform
    • Mega Man 11 (October) - action platformer
    • Assassin's Creed Odyssey (October) - action adventure rpg
    • WWE 2K19 (October) - wrestling
    • Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (October) - first person shooter
    • Lego DC Super-Villains (October) - action adventure
    • Warriors Orochi 4 (October) - hack and slash
    • Soul Calibur VI (October) - fighting

PS4
    • Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise[ (October) - action adventure
    • Starlink: Battle for Atlas (October) - action adventure/toys to life
    • Red Dead Redemption 2 (October) - action adventure

Xone

• Forza Horizon 4 (October) - racing
    • Red Dead Redemption 2 (October) - action adventure

Switch
    • Mega Man 11 (October) - action platformer
    • Super Mario Party (October) - party game/minigames
    • Lego DC Super-Villains (October) - action adventure
    • Warriors Orochi 4 (October) - hack and slash
    • The World Ends With You: Final Remix (October) - action rpg port/remake
    • Dark Souls Remastered (October) - action adventure rpg

3DS
    • Luigi's Mansion (October) - action adventure remake

Last edited by Wool; October 1st, 2018 at 09:57 AM.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Re: October '18 Release Thread

There is a lot to choose from this month. Is anyone picking anything up?

The only thing I really care about is Red Dead Redemption 2. I loved the previous one, despite having low interest in westerns in general. The new one looks great, but again, I don't think I'm actually buying anything this month. A distant second place is Luigi's Mansion. These games ooze charm and I have always been curious about the original, but I simply have too many handheld games.

Which as a matter of fact is what I will be playing this month. I've got the both Parasite Eve games on my Vita and I have been itching to try them. I figure I will make time for at least one of them in the spirit of Halloween.

PS+

PS4
    Friday the 13th: The Game
    Laser League

PS3
    Master Reboot
    The Bridge (PS4/Vita)

Vita
    Rocketbirds 2: Evolution (PS4)
    2064 Read Only Memories (PS4)

Games with Gold

Xone
    Overcooked!
    Victor Vran

Stuntman: Ignition
    Hitman: Blood Money

Going to have to give my nod to Games with Gold this month. Friday the 13th is a good Halloween game, but I heard it was kind of buggy/disappointing. I've never even heard of some of those other games. 2064 was "okay". Overcooked meanwhile is a cult classic already, and Hitman and Stuntman are both legendary.

Trailers:

Last edited by Wool; October 1st, 2018 at 09:53 AM.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

American Truck Simulator's Oregon expansion releases this Thursday 10/4.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Something I almost forgot about: Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales comes out this month. This is a new single player campaign in the Witcher universe, using the GWENT card system.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

A bit of a controversy surrounding Rockstar this month. In an interview, one of the heads of the company humble-bragged about how they at times worked 100 hour weeks while working on Red Dead Redemption 2. This comment exploded as people who work at the company started to share their grievances and experiences, prompting a discussion about poor working conditions in the gaming industry.

Consequently, Red Dead Redemption 2 came out, is flooring people and becoming one of the highest review games of all time (on metacritic). In an age when we demand more and more, that greatness comes at a cost.

That's not the only game exploding this month either, despite not having a single player campaign Black Ops 4 is apparently doing extremely well. I've got to think their take on Battle Royale plays a large part in this. Funny caveat is that the digital sales are what are on the upswing with this game. It's online only anyway, so why bother with a physical disc?

Assassin's Creed is also doing very well. Coming out at the beginning of the month, it actually ended up in last month's sale's charts. Appearing at #3 despite only being out for a few days. I sort of expected sales to dip as franchise fatigue kicks in, but it apparently sold even better than the last one. This, also, is getting very favorable reviews. The one big criticism I've heard of this game is that it apparently needs level grinding of all things to enjoy the main story. All the optional side stuff is no longer optional... unless you pay money for an exp boost. Yeah that went over about as well as you would think it did.

Overall a pretty good month for games.

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wool View Post
    A bit of a controversy surrounding Rockstar this month. In an interview, one of the heads of the company humble-bragged about how they at times worked 100 hour weeks while working on Red Dead Redemption 2. This comment exploded as people who work at the company started to share their grievances and experiences, prompting a discussion about poor working conditions in the gaming industry.

Consequently, Red Dead Redemption 2 came out, is flooring people and becoming one of the highest review games of all time (on metacritic). In an age when we demand more and more, that greatness comes at a cost.

That's not the only game exploding this month either, despite not having a single player campaign Black Ops 4 is apparently doing extremely well. I've got to think their take on Battle Royale plays a large part in this. Funny caveat is that the digital sales are what are on the upswing with this game. It's online only anyway, so why bother with a physical disc?

Assassin's Creed is also doing very well. Coming out at the beginning of the month, it actually ended up in last month's sale's charts. Appearing at #3 despite only being out for a few days. I sort of expected sales to dip as franchise fatigue kicks in, but it apparently sold even better than the last one. This, also, is getting very favorable reviews. The one big criticism I've heard of this game is that it apparently needs level grinding of all things to enjoy the main story. All the optional side stuff is no longer optional... unless you pay money for an exp boost. Yeah that went over about as well as you would think it did.

Overall a pretty good month for games.
    I thought every game studio still did that.

I've had friends who worked as game developers before (One at EA, One at Rockstar, one from a now-defunct studio whose name I forgot when they got bought out many years ago, one at a small indie studio up in Winnipeg).

They all talked about "crunch time".

6-7 days a week, sometimes double shifts, it all varied slightly from company to company, and the indie company is was by far the best of the bunch and the most respectful to employees, but they were still driven largely by satisfying their investors when it came to deadlines.

I always tell people 10-15 years younger than me (or more) who say they want to go into game development: "Don't".

Sure, some of my friends stayed in the industry, but I've also seen it dissolve marriages and cause a massive heart attack at age 32.
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Just saw a tweet that said:

"They say if you go into the wilderness in this game, turn up your sound and listen really hard, you can actually hear a small child crying and wondering why daddy hasn't come home from his job at Rockstar for 2 weeks."
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

It's a notorious problem in the industry. I don't know why it blew up this time in particular. Perhaps it's a combination of one of the heads of the company bragging about it and the upcoming release of the game itself.

It is worth pointing out that usually when you hear about this stuff it's attributed to soulless mega publishers (EA) churning out mediocre and unfinished games. It's easy for the gaming community to dismiss as bad because the results are also bad. But it gets harder to ignore when one of the best games of the year is confirmed to also be made under such conditions.