Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dark Phoenix (X-men)

Elder Arcanist

Re: Dark Phoenix (X-men)

Another X-Men: Dark Phoenix Test Screening Bombs

When it comes to X-Men: Dark Phoenix, it seems that things aren't looking too bright. The sequel to 2016's X-Men Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix is finally nearing its June 7 launch after stumbling through multiple delays and an in-depth round of reshoots. Sadly, whatever it was they filmed during those reshoots may not have done much to improve the movie's fortunes. In fact, the most recent Dark Phoenix-related news could spell even more trouble, serving as what could be a fatal blow for the flick.

Mangina at large.

Latest trailer. Watching the trailer pretty much confirms a specific character's death, so if you really don't want spoilers, don't watch.

Elder Arcanist

I'm not really overwhelmed by this trailer... I may wait for this to show up on streaming before watching it.

In Deadpool2, there's a quick cameo where DP is in the Xavier mansion and you see the X-Men shut the door before he sees them. It would be awesome if we saw that same scene from the other side in this movie I mean, I'm sure the timelines don't match up, but it would be a pretty cool easter egg.

Mangina at large.

With the way this one is shaping up, it would make sense for Deadpool to close the door on the X-Men. "Yeah, I don't want their bad to get all over me. But if I let Jean in I could maybe meet a Jonas brot... no, not worth it."

Elder Arcanist

22% on RT, bummer. Talk about going out with a whimper. The X-Men franchise has had such a crazy range in quality from dogshit, to meh, to some of the best superhero movies out there, its been a wild ride. On a somewhat equally pitiful note, this movie bombing badly will give the new Godzilla a minor reprieve this weekend at the box office since it has been bombing too.

On a completely unrelated note, Rocketman is a fantastic movie and well worth the watch with all these terrible movies coming out.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Gonna rent it anyway. Wasn't expecting much.

Formerly: Xlarge
    Elder Arcanist
    Criminal in APB

Well both the old X-man movies and the new ones the Dark Phoenix story has been utter crap. Hopefully in 15-20 years when it gets another reboot they will realize just don't go there. Maybe in 15-20 years when I have robot minions mowing my lawn and doing my dishes the Sentinels will be a better plot line too.

Elder Arcanist

Well, contrary to the critic reviews, i thought this was a very good X-Men movie. I liked it a hell of a lot more than Apocolypse and I probably enjoyed it as much as Days of Future Past. They finally made an X-Men movie where Cyclops and Beast aren't punk ass bitches. Hell Cyclops is actually a badass in this movie. I haven't read any of the critical reviews for this movie but I get the feeling they are a bit edgelord and wanting to hate on a non-Disney Marvel film. I mean, the movie's not perfect but it certainly deserves a better metascore than 44. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't like it because it didn't have Hugh Jackman in it.

If you want a good summer popcorn movie, go see this film. It's certainly the best movie to come out since Endgame. It's not as dumb as Godzilla, but then, that's a movie about giant monsters fighting each other and destroying cities...dumb is where the premise starts. But Godzilla was a fun movie as well. Just don't expect Shakespeare with it. Dark Phoenix is a far more developed film.
    Last edited by Dramadon; June 7th, 2019 at 10:42 PM.

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by Dramadon View Post
    Just don't expect Shakespeare with it. Dark Phoenix is a far more developed film.
    It's more developed than Shakespeare? That's high praise, indeed.

Elder Arcanist

Shakespeare can't keep up with the times. Sure, you'll get Magneto bitching about Charles monologing, but where's the zaz? He never put anything cool like laser eyes or spaceships in his stories.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by PPatty View Post
    It's more developed than Shakespeare? That's high praise, indeed.
    No, it's more developed than Godzilla. But I see what you did there and I deserved it.

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by Dramadon View Post
    No, it's more developed than Godzilla. But I see what you did there and I deserved it.
    Sorry, misread it.

Quote Originally Posted by Philo View Post
    Shakespeare can't keep up with the times. Sure, you'll get Magneto bitching about Charles monologing, but where's the zaz? He never put anything cool like laser eyes or spaceships in his stories.
    In fairness, Shakespeare's plotlines sometimes are clumsy as hell. "Haha, I was a c-section, so I wasn't a natural birth, I FULFILL THE PROPHECY, NOW DIE, ASSHOLE!"

Mangina at large.

Post-mortem on the film (looks like it's going to lose $100 million): https://deadline.com/2019/06/dark-ph...hy-1202629749/

Something not included in that article, but which explains the extensive reshoots: the aliens in the film were supposed to be Skrulls: https://theplaylist.net/tye-sheridan...enix-20190611/