Thread: Giant Jenga

Giant Jenga

jenga.jpg

This project started as sort of a joke at work. Supposedly, last summer, there was a tremendous demand of giant jenga requests made for cuts out of 2x4s. This is a relatively simple cut. It is just very time consuming. One set of 54 pieces only takes about 4 2x4s, but a total of 40 or so cuts.

We didn't get any requests this year while i was paying attention, but one of the girls i work with wanted a set for a tailgate party she had planned.

With the assistance of a cutting fence it only took about fifteen minutes, but the job done with framing grade studs ended up with very rough surfaces that do not slide very easily. She passed the 54 about her coworkers and had them trade turns with a sanding block.

Around fourth of July, i decided to take home 4 studs of my own and make my own set.

I thought the process of sanding would be streamlined by my kids and wife putting their help into it, but no one seemed to grasp the concept of how the sanding needed to be done.

I bought an orbital sander, but it did not do what i was interested in it doing, and during that time, while leaving the cut studs outside, i got hit with a swarm of termites.

After spraying and bagging, they sat in the garage undisturbed for two months, until last week, i unbagged them and cleaned them up again.

Yesterday, i bought my first belt sander and belts from 40 to 120
    grit and went to town. Roughing, sanding, finishing, staining, smoothing, cleaning, tacking, waxing, and now in this picture, all that is left is one last coat of wax and another buff, and it should be ready to go.

While all the work on this project is extremely simple, it is very labor intensive, and i have never previously gone to such lengths in order to make a project so beautiful as well as functional. This experience has allowed me to consider additonal work for future projects, and I cannot wait to build a new stand for my next fish tank come next summer.

The kids are excited as hell to play jenga.
    Last edited by Tinthalas Tigris; September 24th, 2018 at 02:10 PM.

Elder Arcanist

Re: Giant Jenga

A friend of mine who owns a brewery here has had one in his taproom since it opened, and it's very popular.
    'This world may be another planet's hell.'{Aldous Huxley}
    'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'{Aldous Huxley}

I have video of giant jenga from a friend’s wedding
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

jenga2.jpg

My son helped me buff out the last of the wax, and the project is finely done.

I must have spent close to 40 hours on this thing.

So glad it is finally done.

Elder Arcanist

Looks good.
    'This world may be another planet's hell.'{Aldous Huxley}
    'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'{Aldous Huxley}