Thread: House bans eating of cats, dogs

Elder Arcanist

House bans eating of cats, dogs

House bans eating of cats, dogs

The government shuts down at the end of the month, and Democrats and Republicans seem unable to make a deal to keep it open. They are, however, united in trying to stop people from eating pets.

The House passed a bill Wednesday by voice vote banning the slaughter, transportation, sale and possession of dogs and cats for consumption. The "Dog and Cat Meat Trade Prohibition Act of 2018" was sponsored by Republican Rep. Vern Buchanan and Democratic Rep. Alcee Hastings, both of Florida.

Buchanan wrote in his statement about the bill that 44 states do not have laws banning consumption of cats and dogs, adding that this practice "should be outlawed completely given how beloved these animals are for most Americans." California, Georgia, Hawaii, Michigan, New York and Virginia are the six states that explicitly ban cat and dog consumption.

"Dogs and cats provide love and companionship to millions of people and should not be slaughtered and sold as food," Buchanan said.

After the bill passed, Hastings released a statement discussing the importance of the bill and urging the Senate to take it up.

"The House of Representatives has voted to unify animal cruelty laws across the country, which would prohibit the slaughter of dogs and cats for human consumption," Hastings said. "I am proud to have championed this effort in Congress to explicitly ban the killing and consumption dogs and cats across the United States, and am greatly appreciative of my friend and colleague Congressman Buchanan for taking the 'Dog and Cat Meat Trade Prohibition Act' across the finish line today."

The bill also prevents foreign and interstate trade of cats and dogs for consumption purposes.

However, there is an exception to this rule for Indian tribes. The bill declares that Indian tribes can engage in this behavior "for the purpose of a religious ceremony."

The maximum penalty for eating cats and dogs is $5,000.

Mangina at large.

Re: House bans eating of cats, dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    The House of Representatives has voted to unify animal cruelty laws across the country, which would prohibit the slaughter of dogs and cats for human consumption....
    So killing dogs and cats for consumption is animal cruelty, but killing any other animal is not? If you don't want these animals killed because they hold a special place in the hearts of Americans, fine, but don't try to dress it up as anything other than that.

Elder Arcanist

Just say it's for science.

Elder Arcanist

And there is absolutely nothing that they could be doing instead of this? I guess, given their record the past 18 months, I'd rather they do this than gut another program or make an other tax cut for the wealthy... but damn, seems like there should be something important that they could do.

*psst* Impeachment *psst

Quote Originally Posted by Dramadon View Post
    Just say it's for science.
    That's what the Japanese do with whales

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Ah yes, our beloved cats and dogs that we get on a whim, then abandon when we don't feel like taking care of them anymore. Who then go on to reproduce at an uncontrollable rate because who is going to pay money to spay or neuter your dog, I mean really?

Look all I'm saying is maybe we should be enforcing laws that force us all to eat cats and dogs, really nip this problem in the... Bud.

P.S. Don't have a heart attack, it's a joke. I would never eat a dog or a cat. Gerbils are okay though right?

P.P.S. What are the chances they did this just to say they did something? I've never heard of this actually happening. And if it is a problem that needs solving then I'm thinking the disparity between the rich and the poor might be worse than we thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Delores Mulva View Post
    So killing dogs and cats for consumption is animal cruelty, but killing any other animal is not? If you don't want these animals killed because they hold a special place in the hearts of Americans, fine, but don't try to dress it up as anything other than that.
    Feels like an emotional appeal to me. Let's ban eating babies next year.

Spoiler for severe and random spoilers:

Oh but what would poor Chris Evans eat then?
    Last edited by Wool; September 13th, 2018 at 08:08 PM.

They did this purely because they knew it would pass, Congress can look like they did something. Of course watch Trump veto it because he knows a guy who owns a chain of Chinese places and is dumb enough to think they actually do use cat and dog.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Let me tell you something, if anyone knows Chinese food, it's Trump. Not enough ketchup, but it's good. And he knows what's good.

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by Khieran View Post
    *psst* Impeachment *psst
    Even if there were enough support in the House, it would be an even bigger waste of time, given that there's zero chance of a conviction in the Senate.

Buckeye Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by PPatty View Post
    Even if there were enough support in the House, it would be an even bigger waste of time, given that there's zero chance of a conviction in the Senate.

I agree, with the caveat that we don't know what Mueller knows. It's possible that Mueller uncovers evidence that is as damaging to the Party as Watergate, in which case all bets are off.
    Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by Nerkahia View Post
    I agree, with the caveat that we don't know what Mueller knows. It's possible that Mueller uncovers evidence that is as damaging to the Party as Watergate, in which case all bets are off.
    Still doesn't matter. Had the GOP controlled Congress in 1974, Nixon would have served his full term -- 10 of 17 Republicans on the House Judiciary Committee voted against all three articles of impeachment, and only one supported all three.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Tinthalas Tigris View Post
    That's what the Japanese do with whales
    It seems to work for them.

Elder Arcanist

....right now.

Ellsworth M. Toohey

....right now.
    You live in a world of perpetual sunshine, rainbows and raining pots of gold if you think 2/3 of the Senate will vote to throw out Trump, even after midterms. You might not even get the 60 needed to kill a filibuster.

Elder Arcanist

You live in a world of perpetual sunshine, rainbows and raining pots of gold if you think 2/3 of the Senate will vote to throw out Trump, even after midterms. You might not even get the 60 needed to kill a filibuster.
    Who knows? I also thought that there was no way in fuck this country would vote Trump into office in the first place so anything is possible.

Who knows? I also thought that there was no way in fuck this country would vote Trump into office in the first place so anything is possible.
    Honestly Trump won because the FBI sabotaged Hillary at the last moment and Hillary&DNC Sabotaged Hillary&DNC the rest of the time. She lost traditionally red places that Obama won twice. Trump is also the master of the idiot box err TV, He was hawking the Ronco President-O-Matic and made the sale. Does not matter that its faulty and can burn your house down people still bought it because the pitch was right.

Areas Hillary lost she lost because she did not go or sent people like movie stars. You are not going to sell your presidency to people who wonder if big greedy shareholders from New York will be closing their factory soon so they can get yachts and pay some kid in Vietnam 10cents a day to do your 25/hr job by sending a big shot movie star who will never once in their life since hitting it big know the feeling of will the lights and heat be paid for next week. Hillary also is seen as deeply in the pockets of big banks and you will not find a rural or deeply blue collar area that likes the banks. Through out Industrial and Post Industrial American history its the farmer and factory worker who know a life of being fucked by the banking system.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld