Thread: Any Graffies in the path of Florence?

Elder Arcanist

Any Graffies in the path of Florence?

They're predicting *feet* of rain for some places in NC and SC. Any graffies out there, get to building that boat! Or better yet, GTFO!

Elder Arcanist

Re: Any Graffies in the path of Florence?

You would hope people learned from what Harvey did to Houston last year and get the hell out of there. Houses can be rebuilt, your family on the other hand....
    'This world may be another planet's hell.'{Aldous Huxley}
    'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'{Aldous Huxley}

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by Bonlainy View Post
    Houses can be rebuilt, your family on the other hand....
    You can always marry again and have more kids?

hopefully anyone does get out, But just last night on ABC News they had a guy in a evac area and he was still deciding. His wife said they should leave and he wants to stay, Probably typical macho "I can ride out anything" BS.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

I don't get why people are making such a big deal about it.

It's only Cat4.

That's, what.....16Mbit/sec max?
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

Elder Arcanist

Weather Channel app on my phone sent out an alert calling for up to 40 inches of rain in some places... Holy shit!

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by Merrick ap'Milandra View Post
    It's only Cat4.

That's, what.....16Mbit/sec max?
    That's a lot when your back end is only configured to handle throughput from a DSL line at most.

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    hopefully anyone does get out, But just last night on ABC News they had a guy in a evac area and he was still deciding. His wife said they should leave and he wants to stay, Probably typical macho "I can ride out anything" BS.
    Why So Many People Don’t ‘Just Leave’ When A Major Hurricane Hits
    Last edited by PPatty; September 12th, 2018 at 01:40 PM.

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PPatty View Post
    That's a lot when your back end is only configured to handle throughput from a DSL line at most.
    Yes, and sadly, I don't think Waffle House being open or closed qualifies as QoS for anything other than tailored services.

Their runoff plan could really use some FRTS, to say nothing of fragmenting and interleaving to prevent floods.
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

A very worthy mention.

Saying people should just evacuate is like saying "The blizzard is so bad, the snow ploughs have shut down, the electricity and gas are cut off or rupturing, so you should go somewhere safe while there's 2 feet of snow on the ground."

Umm....how?

Hurricane country people prepare by stocking up the same way that blizzard country people do.

Mind you, snowstorms are FAR less deadly as long as you stay in modern housing, and most of the cabling and piping is buried in my area, so things keep working, but we have at least one day a year, sometimes as many as 20 where companies I've worked for have said "don't come into work, if you can work from home, do so, if you can't we'll grant you free PTO".

Forum Sorcerer
    Lurking from the shadows

I have family in the Carolina's they've already evacuated. but as you can see in the projections they change to the last second. North Carolina is barely at risk any more and now parts of Georgia are at risk with even less time to prepare. A hurricane can change it path at the very last minute striking areas that were not anticipating a direct strike leaving many un or under prepared. I had the same happen to me in Charley the storm turned in the last 2 hours turning a glancing hit into a direct and left us somewhat under prepared.
    Last edited by ChaosL01; September 13th, 2018 at 09:47 AM.
    Greed is for amateurs. Chaos, disorder, anarchy...now that's FUN!

Kirin Tor:
    Toccke- Archmage of Gnomeregan (retired)
    Shlemm-Rogue of grand mischief(retired)
    Dorra - High Priestest of Iron Forge (RIP)

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by Merrick ap'Milandra View Post
    Saying people should just evacuate is like saying "The blizzard is so bad, the snow ploughs have shut down, the electricity and gas are cut off or rupturing, so you should go somewhere safe while there's 2 feet of snow on the ground."
    The idea is to get out before the snow starts falling.

Forum Sorcerer
    Lurking from the shadows

problem is some (non essential services)employers won't let you stop working for them until the rain starts hitting the ground. Not to mention some critical people have to stay. Trust me they did not evacuate all the hospitals completely.(consolidate,yes)
    Greed is for amateurs. Chaos, disorder, anarchy...now that's FUN!

Kirin Tor:
    Toccke- Archmage of Gnomeregan (retired)
    Shlemm-Rogue of grand mischief(retired)
    Dorra - High Priestest of Iron Forge (RIP)

Elder Arcanist

North Carolina has spent so long denying climate change that they aren't prepared for the real changes to come...

North Carolina didn't like science on sea levels … so passed a law against it

When North Carolina got bad news about what its coast could look like thanks to climate change, it chose to ignore it.

In 2012, the state now in the path of Hurricane Florence reacted to a prediction by its Coastal Resources Commission that sea levels could rise by 39in over the next century by passing a law that banned policies based on such forecasts.

The legislation drew ridicule, including a mocking segment by comedian Stephen Colbert, who said: “If your science gives you a result you don’t like, pass a law saying the result is illegal. Problem solved.”

North Carolina has a long, low-lying coastline and is considered one of the US areas most vulnerable to rising sea levels.

But dire predictions alarmed coastal developers and their allies, who said they did not believe the rise in sea level would be as bad as the worst models predicted and said such forecasts could unnecessarily hurt property values and drive up insurance costs.

As a result, the state’s official policy, rather than adapting to the worst potential effects of climate change, has been to assume it simply won’t be that bad. Instead of forecasts, it has mandated predictions based on historical data on sea level rise.

“The science panel used one model, the most extreme in the world,” Pat McElraft, the sponsor of the 2012 bill, said at the time, according to Reuters. “They need to use some science that we can all trust when we start making laws in North Carolina that affect property values on the coast.”

The legislation was passed by the Republican-controlled state legislature and allowed to become law by the then governor Bev Perdue, a Democrat who neither signed nor vetoed the bill.

The law required the coastal resources commission to put out another study in 2015, looking at expected sea level rise.

That report looked only 30 years ahead, rather than a century. It found that the rise in sea level during that time was likely to be roughly 6in to 8in, with higher increases possible in parts of the Outer Banks.

Some outside studies have offered more dire warnings. A report last year by the Union of Concerned Scientists said 13 North Carolina communities were likely to be “chronically inundated” with seawater by 2035.

The state’s stance has shifted under the current governor, Roy Cooper, a Democrat who took office last year.

Cooper announced last September that North Carolina would join the US Climate Alliance, a group of states that have pledged to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in line with the goals of the Paris climate accord, even though Donald Trump pulled the US out of the agreement.

“We remain committed to reducing pollution and protecting our environment,” Cooper said. “So much of North Carolina’s economy relies on protecting our treasured natural resources.”

But Orrin Pilkey, a retired Duke University coastal geologist, wrote in a recent op-ed in the News & Observer that the state has still failed to take the steps that communities in Virginia and New Jersey have taken, to prepare for rising sea levels.

“Instead coastal development flourishes as more beachfront buildings, highways and bridges are built to ease access to our beautiful beaches,” he wrote. “Currently the unspoken plan is to wait until the situation is catastrophic and then respond.”

I figured this had to be linked at some point heh.

"When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist

How about:

'This world may be another planet's hell.'{Aldous Huxley}
    'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'{Aldous Huxley}

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Every big storm/flood seems to have at least one of these episodes. Here's the first one for Florence:

Elder Arcanist

LOL, reminds me of the classic:

Forum Arcanist

Trump asks about Lake Norman, NC, in visit to NC to survey storm damage. I'd say it's an hour or two northwest of Myrtle Beach in the Charlotte, NC region.

Guess who owns a golf course in Lake Norman, NC?

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...218666040.html