Thread: Carbine and Wildstar shut down

Carbine and Wildstar shut down

https://kotaku.com/wildstar-develope...own-1828862729

It was a nifty game but yea it just did not have that holding power. Still always kinda sad to see a studio go down and its game along with.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Mangina at large.

Re: Carbine and Wildstar shut down

They left Blizzard to do something that was different from WoW, and they did - they failed.

Reading about how Wildstar worked reminded me of another game that Dmitry used to chat up all the time, Guild Wars 2. Whatever happened to that game?

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Guild Wars 2 was really good. I don't know how well it is doing but it has had several expansions and content updates, which I've seen as part of my keeping tabs on new releases. It was also in the dramanews lately after ArenaNet fired one of their developers for being rude to someone on twitter.

Was always curious about Wildstar but it's one of the many mmos I just never felt like trying when push came to shove. Same thing happened with Black Desert Online. It had a free trial, I messed with the character creator, and then never actually played the game.
    Last edited by Wool; September 7th, 2018 at 04:56 AM.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Wool View Post
    Guild Wars 2 was really good. I don't know how well it is doing but it has had several expansions and content updates,
    I believe it is still going. I have some friends who play. IIRC they mentioned it just got another expansion here recently.

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Failure is the norm in most industries, and certainly the gaming industry. I tried Wildstar for about 5 mins -- I'm impressed that they lasted as long as they did. Not that it was necessarily a bad game, but to stand out in this field these days, you have to be great or good and unique. It was just OK -- cute graphics, but the gameplay wasn't anything special.

Elder Arcanist

Guild Wars 2 is actually doing pretty well and has settled into its niche. Its on its 2nd expansion, added mounts and will add in some sort of player stronghold housing in the next regular update.

But honestly the golden age of the mmorpg feels like its over, sure WoW and smaller games like GW2 etc will still be around, but the main market has been moving away from them towards mobile games and stuff for a long while now.

Mangina at large.

The Hearthstone client on PC is a buggy POS - constantly flags old cards as new to your collection, has screen freeze bugs at start-up, etc. - and has been for months, if not years. All the work goes into the mobile client, because (I imagine) that's where the money is.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

I have to admit some amusement that for years PC was delegated to mostly just receiving crappy ports of console games, and now that those platforms have achieved parity they are starting to get crappy ports of mobile games instead.