Thread: Changing my domain registrar from GoDaddy, need advice

Chaotic Good

Changing my domain registrar from GoDaddy, need advice

Hey all,

Long story short: I want to move my domain registrar and email hosting from GoDaddy to anyone else.

Long Story long:
    Some years ago I needed a custom domain (wanted a vanity email address for job hunting, as well as my own hosting.)

Went with GoDaddy at the time since they seemed the easiest. Probably didn't hurt that they were advertising heavily on NFL games. Damn you subliminal suggestion! I'm not unhappy with them except that I think they are charging me WAY more than they need to for the simple domain registry.

GoDaddy also supplies my email hosting.
    My web hosting with them got borked when my domain expired once and they wanted exorbitant fees to restore it. I called and whined and at least got my domains back for cheap but abandoned the web hosting. The email can lapse for a day or two if needed but I use it for a lot of contact stuff.

I've read a few FAQs about it, but wondered if anyone here has done this before.

Do you secure and pay the new registrar first?
    Do you have to pay the new registrar and abandon whatever I have already paid GoDaddy?

Appreciate any input.

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Re: Changing my domain registrar from GoDaddy, need advice

I do not have advice about changing domain providers, as I have always used the same one (Angelfire -- yes, it still exists -- which tells you how long I've had the same one). But just out of curiosity, how much is GoDaddy charging you? I pay $10.95 a month currently.

No prison can hold me!

You won't have to pay the new guys to register it, just have godaddy change ownership over to them. Although I would highly suggest having them turn it over to you directly so no company can hold it hostage like that again. That will require a modicum of vigilance on your part to make sure it doesn't expire. If it's just for email you might want to talk to Google or hotmail. They do that kind of thing for various domains. After that it's just a matter of pointing the MX records of the domain to the correct IPs.
    ------------------------------------------
    I *AM* the Chinpokomon master!

Elder Arcanist

I use A2 Hosting and I've been very happy with them - support is quick, but I'll admit I don't have much of a site to worry about.

Elder Arcanist
    Crazy Bard

I've used Blue Hosts for a number of years and transferred all my domains over to them as well. They've been fine for what little I have going on.
    If I wanted to be ignored I'd go to work.

Chaotic Good

Quote Originally Posted by PPatty View Post
    But just out of curiosity, how much is GoDaddy charging you? I pay $10.95 a month currently.
    Again to clarify, this is for domain registrar only (not email, not hosting).
    Around USD13 for a .com, USD17 for a .net and USD20 for a .org per year.

Email looks close to your USD11 a month.
    No web hosting.

Chaotic Good

Quote Originally Posted by Schezar View Post
    You won't have to pay the new guys to register it, just have godaddy change ownership over to them. Although I would highly suggest having them turn it over to you directly so no company can hold it hostage like that again. That will require a modicum of vigilance on your part to make sure it doesn't expire. If it's just for email you might want to talk to Google or hotmail. They do that kind of thing for various domains. After that it's just a matter of pointing the MX records of the domain to the correct IPs.

In their defense, I had failed to check the email I was using as my master contact and the credit card on file had also expired. Not so much 'held hostage' as me having to plead dumbass and get the massive charge waived back to normal.

When you say transfer to myself, that means I show up in the whois record, Mircadius H. Elf as owner, right?

Thanks

Chaotic Good

Quote Originally Posted by Khieran View Post
    I use A2 Hosting and I've been very happy with them - support is quick, but I'll admit I don't have much of a site to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    I've used Blue Hosts for a number of years and transferred all my domains over to them as well. They've been fine for what little I have going on.
    Thanks guys, I will look into them when I go to do this.

No prison can hold me!

Quote Originally Posted by Mircadius View Post
    In their defense, I had failed to check the email I was using as my master contact and the credit card on file had also expired. Not so much 'held hostage' as me having to plead dumbass and get the massive charge waived back to normal.

When you say transfer to myself, that means I show up in the whois record, Mircadius H. Elf as owner, right?

Thanks
    Correct. When you move to another company they just change where people look to for the domain records to the new folks. As long as you are the one on record for the domain there are no ownership disputes.
    Last edited by Schezar; September 4th, 2018 at 07:47 PM.
    ------------------------------------------
    I *AM* the Chinpokomon master!

Elder Arcanist

I'm a fan of Namecheap.com for domain management.
    I've been using them for quite a few years now, no complaints.

I recently (within the last year?) switched my hosting to Hostinger. Not a lot of in-depth controls if you are into that but they do seem to do the basics really cheap.
    Last edited by Eremius; September 5th, 2018 at 12:59 PM.

Forum Sorcerer
    Lurking from the shadows

My club uses Gator and It was recommended by a person whom used to work at Godaddy.
    We have never had a problem in the 9 years we've used them.
    rates:
    .com $12.95/yr*
    .club $9.95/yr*
    .co $12.95/yr*
    .space $9.95/yr*
    .us $5.95/yr*
    .website $9.95/yr*
    .org $12.95/yr*
    .net $12.95/yr*
    .me $15.00/yr*
    .biz $12.95/yr*
    .info $12.95/yr*
    .host $39.95/yr*
    .online $1.95/yr*
    .site $0.95/yr*
    .tech 3.95/yr*
    Last edited by ChaosL01; September 5th, 2018 at 01:06 PM.
    Greed is for amateurs. Chaos, disorder, anarchy...now that's FUN!

Kirin Tor:
    Toccke- Archmage of Gnomeregan (retired)
    Shlemm-Rogue of grand mischief(retired)
    Dorra - High Priestest of Iron Forge (RIP)

Very nice!
    I like bOObies

Little late, but it's been a while since I've dropped in.

I would recommend Google. They charge the same $10-12 everyone else does, but they also include domain privacy in the price, everyone else charges extra to hide your personal info. You can get your email from anywhere including Godaddy. My company uses G Suite for email, it's $5/mo per account.
    < Insert bananas here >