Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Economy Rocking, Trump Candidates Winning All of you people wrong

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Re: Economy Rocking, Trump Candidates Winning All of you people wrong

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    Actually, Marriage if you look at the big throw of human history originated as a legal contract which was hijacked by religion.
    The first part of your statement is not true -- in many human societies, including colonial America and the early USA, there were few formal laws attached to marriage until relatively modern times. However, it has always been a social contract.

Whether it was hijacked by religion is hard to say; both marriage and religion go so far back in history that it's difficult to determine if one preceded the other. But certainly by the time marriage and divorce laws were codified in Western society, marriage was well established as a sacred practice in the prevailing religions of Europe and the Middle East.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkus View Post
    Without a doubt, the belief in a god has resulted in far more atrocities in this world than people in the LBGTQ spectrum.
    That's a weird comparison. Has belief in a god resulted in "far more atrocities" than belief without a god? It's pretty hard to top the atrocity totals that can be attributed to essentially godless belief systems of the 20th century.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkus
    Be happy, do no harm.

Perhaps people have different criteria for "harm."
    Last edited by PPatty; September 11th, 2018 at 01:48 PM.

What makes it okay to believe in a god with no actual proof, or for people to believe in reincarnation, but not okay for a person to believe that they should have been born differently?

Marriage is a religious concept which has been codified into law. The moment it became a legal issue conveying privileges to a subset of people, it no longer belonged solely to religion.

Without a doubt, the belief in a god has resulted in far more atrocities in this world than people in the LBGTQ spectrum.

Be happy, do no harm. That's what I believe.
    I often wonder how atheists are able to talk about finding a soul mate

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tinthalas Tigris View Post
    They seek genetically compatible donors.

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tinthalas Tigris View Post
    You can believe there are no deities and still believe in spirits and souls.
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by Merrick ap'Milandra View Post
    You can believe there are no deities and still believe in spirits and souls.
    How is the latter any less faith-based than the former?

Oni
    Blog Entries

You know this could have been a fun troll thread to continue parodying the fucking awful and stupid TV show that living in this time and place has become.

Oh well, let's get serious, a bit.

Yes, Graffe's has a left and liberal slant because most of us are educated and are trying to live in a world governed by natural laws with science and mathematics as our descriptor.

Unfortunately, educated conservatives have increasingly been living in non-reality for about 40 years and are now relying on a propaganda machine and pervasive stupidity to stay in public spaces. I haven't talked with an educated conservative since 2010, and I think some of the conservatives here who have accepted their RINO tag from the white nationalists they let in the door and took over their house are glad to leave.

My question is: Silverblade is still around, so clearly we have no problem with Crazy. What's not acceptable is Stupidity and falsehood, which is basically the election strategy for republicans because they've been killing their own constituents through policy for the entirety of my adult life at this point. If they've gone to more hospitable environments, they can enjoy yelling at Goldsiien and engaging in the Two Minute Hate.

Then you have folks like Dmitry - who is a lawyer and educated and molded in the realm of finance and law. They already live in a different world with or without Right or Left. The trolling is no surprise.

I have discussions with intelligent conservatives in the past, but that was before 2010, and some of those people saw fit to make a deal with the devil and watch it all burn. This is where we are.

Graffe's is in decline because we don't have a game or genre to keep ourselves going and we don't do events or meetings. The community isn't an organization, so without things to do we stop in the talk about things because we DO have a high concentration of educated people. I think we all appreciate that.

But the reality here is that - bullshit can take a walk; if we've scared off some of em, it's because we're sick of watching em put on a fucking SS uniform piece by piece for several years while spouting ignorant bullshit wrapped in Red White and Blue. When they can get their brains back from the wizard of fucking Oz and regrow a spine to admit they fucked up, they can enjoy some better hospitality.
    "Don't yell at S-D for using words you're not completely sure of, it embarrasses you. He's right anyway." - Alikat

Mangina at large.

If you're talking numbers, it's the same thing we see every time a new President is elected: people fight over the new guy, people ask themselves "why do I go someplace just to fight and get agitated", people stop visiting. I've seen it on other message boards that have "off topic" areas, only with Trump it's been dialed up to "11" because he's so polarizing. And it's not just a groupthink thing: I can name at least one long-term poster that no longer visits because of how angry he gets reading some of the comments from one of our conservative posters.

You're spot-on about the "lack of game or genre" thing, though. I've noticed some of the WoW posters scaling back posting quite a bit with that game going through a decline in interest, and they aren't visiting other parts of Graffe's. Clearly we need to make a Fortnite board!

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by Delores Mulva View Post
    \we need to make a Fortnite board
    I know Fortnite is popular. But is it any good?

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PPatty View Post
    I know Fortnite is popular. But is it any good?
    Perhaps people have different criteria for "good".

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Perhaps people have different criteria for "good".
    Is it good by your criteria?

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

Is it good by your criteria?
    I haven't played it. FPS games give me terrible motion sickness so vomit is the only scale I'd be able to rate it on.

Ellsworth M. Toohey

For those who have played Fortnite, how good is it?

Elder Arcanist

My students can't get enough of it and it has introduced "flossing" to the world.

The game itself is all PvP (or team vs. team) and lots of crafting. The two things I hate most about modern video games are now in a game that is nothing but that. Plus, there is no story to keep me interested.

I'm not saying the game is bad as it's popularity clearly shows that it isn't, it just isn't my cup of tea. If you like crafting and you like PvP you will probably love this game. And then you can get your ass kicked by a bunch of 12 year olds.

I have no clue what Flossing is other than that thing the dentist says to do more of.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Fortnite is a game that is very easy to learn what it takes to win, and what it takes to do well. Then it takes about 100 games to get the skill to do so. Then about 100 games later, I realized how, for being a free game, they would get my money and stopped playing.

It is a good game for sake of game and sport, but i limit myself to recreational activities thst provide stronger senses of reward, or tangible good.

Mangina at large.

If you've seen kids on a video screen at a sporting event, you've likely seen flossing and didn't even know it:

Elder Arcanist

It's a decent game, but I am much too old to play it. My reflexes just can't keep up any more. My son and his friends love it.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Clearly we need to make a Fortnite board!
    Considering the player demographics of Fortnite, you don't need a message board, you need a series of dumb reaction videos.

If you've seen kids on a video screen at a sporting event, you've likely seen flossing and didn't even know it:
    So it's basically the cheapest dance emote you can animate.
    Last edited by Wool; September 17th, 2018 at 07:51 AM.

All hat & no cattle

Quote Originally Posted by Dramadon View Post
    My students can't get enough of it and it has introduced "flossing" to the world.

The game itself is all PvP (or team vs. team) and lots of crafting. The two things I hate most about modern video games are now in a game that is nothing but that. Plus, there is no story to keep me interested.

I'm not saying the game is bad as it's popularity clearly shows that it isn't, it just isn't my cup of tea. If you like crafting and you like PvP you will probably love this game. And then you can get your ass kicked by a bunch of 12 year olds.
    I bought Fortnite before it was really popular, and it was a 4 player Co-Op PvE game, where you alternated between building your base and surviving in it against waves of zombies, and going out into other areas to collect ressources to upgrade your base.
    Later on they copied Pubg and made that mode free to play. The F2P mode exploded in popularity afterwards, but the PvE Co-Op game is still around I presume?
    Last edited by Milton Finkelstein; September 17th, 2018 at 12:10 PM.