Thread: Smash Brothers Ultimate

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Smash Brothers Ultimate

Debated whether to give this its own thread or put it in one of the many others I already have for this purpose. Ultimately (giggle) decided to make its own thread due to the narrow focus and pre-existing interest I noticed in other threads.

They had another Nintendo Direct a couple days ago dedicated to nothing but Smash Brothers that was about ten times more interesting than what they showed at E3. They showed a couple new characters, stages, and items, and they talked about some of the ruleset options, modes, and other general tweaks. They also talked about the soundtrack as well, which is so extensive that they talked up using your Switch as a giant iPod to listen to it all. There are still a few things they didn't talk about, so we will probably get at least one more of these before release. They did not talk about online, whether there is a single player story mode, or about a mysterious option on the main menu that they blur out in the video.

New characters:

Spoiler for spoiler:

New:

Simon Belmont from Castlevania.
    King K Rool from Donkey Kong Country.

Echo Fighters:

Richter Belmont (Simon Belmont)
    Chrom (Ike)
    Dark Samus (Samus)

The trailer(s) for the new characters are brilliant by the way, worth watching even if you don't watch the rest.

I'm going to hotlink them instead of embed them, so that the thumbnails don't spoil the surprise for anyone who cares and doesn't know yet. If you are one such person, just watch the beginning and end of the Direct embedded below. If you don't care and just want to see fun videos, watch the hotlinked trailers below. This isn't going to be a secret for long, but at the moment the information is still new enough to justify this precaution, I think?

Reveal 1

Reveal 2

The entire video (30 minutes long):

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Re: Smash Brothers Ultimate

Today they had one last Nintendo Direct dedicated to Smash Brothers before it's release next month. They shored up some odds and ends, talked about how the online is going to work, and announced the final batch of new characters. They also said that after the game releases they are planning on releasing 5 DLC packs over the course of the year for $6 each. Each one will have one brand new fighter, one new stage, and a few new music tracks. Putting the new characters in a tag in case people want to try to avoid being spoiled.

Spoiler for new characters:

Announced in a previously, non-Smash focused Direct:

Isabel: From Animal Crossing

Announced in today's Direct:

Incineroar: A Pokemon that uses wrestling moves
    Ken: An echo fighter based on Ryu, from Street Fighter (obviously)
    Piranha Plant: This is technically a DLC character. It won't be available for a few months. They are announcing it early as a promotion, as you can get it for free if you buy the game at launch. Even though it isn't available at launch. /shrugs

The latter is hilarious to me, as it's something no one really expected. There are a plethora of characters that fans were begging for, and they got this instead. Your tears sustain me.

Anyway, here is the final list of brand new fighters, pre DLC:

Inkling
    Ridley
    Simon
    King K. Rool
    Isabelle
    Incineroar
    Piranha Plant

And the list of new echo fighters:

Lucina
    Dark Pit
    Daisy
    Dark Samus
    Chrom
    Richter
    Ken

They also finally talked about the mysterious new game mode, dubbed Spirits. They wanted to include as many different series into this game as possible, and needed an alternative to the collectible trophies they included in past games. They came up with a system in which spirits in the form of static images of different characters could be equipped to a fighter to give bonuses and/or stats, and then an entire mode based on fighting different gimmicky battles in order to unlock and level up said spirits.

It gets very complicated so if you want more than that you are going to have to watch the Direct.

Finally, they showed a teaser for the single player mode, lyrics for the Smash theme you always hear on the title screen, and a cutscene that I personally find to be hilarious.