Thread: Changed my oil in my truck for the first time today.

Changed my oil in my truck for the first time today.

Noticed that the previous place that did it used the wrong filter.

I didn't have any problems with it on there, but makes me wonder how they get away with that shit.

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Re: Changed my oil in my truck for the first time today.

What was wrong about it?

I actually expected this post to be "and found six 10mm sockets", heh.
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

If it's the wrong size, it won't physically fit correctly in the engine bay.

Supposedly if it's the wrong type as well for the engine, it can affect oil flow and restrict the correct pumping of the oil through the system and cause, at least, extra wear and tear on the oil pump/pistons/block, or at worst not allow pumping of oil at all and cause a seize or cracked block.

Yeah, the threading and gasket both matched, but my filter wrench wasn't having it, so while i was playing with it, i managed to spin it and saw it was a completely different part number for my model of engine.

I wish i took a picture of it, because I've already forgotten what the exact model it was.

I think mine is the 8166,and this one eas the 8436,or the 8346.

My guess is its the right filter for your model of truck but wrong one for the engine.

I remember when I did my own oil changes there was a part of my VIN I had to tell the parts finder. On my 1995 S-10 that part as the 1Z of the VIN, Which told it that it was the 4.3L Vortec with TBI. Because they had at least two 4.3L options and a 2.2L option for that truck.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Side bar. I did my rotors a couple months ago. Sat on them in the garage all this time.

Decided to follow a recycler dude i know to the recycle yard with them.

$20 bucks! I bought the new ones for only about $80!

In the big scheme of things, rotors are easy!

Im tempted to change most of the family's