Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FF4 Free Enterprise: Open World Final Fantasy IV (IIus).

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

FF4 Free Enterprise: Open World Final Fantasy IV (IIus).

FF4 Free Enterprise is a truly fantastic rom hack that anyone who loved Final Fantasy IV ought to check out. The basic concept is to make an open world game out of Final Fantasy IV and is aimed at people who have already played the vanilla game. The site has a concise summary:

In Free Enterprise, you are given the airship at the beginning of the game, and you may complete whatever quests are available to you in any order. Further, the Pass opens a passage in Toroia that will take you directly to Zeromus, whenever you are ready to defeat him.

Additional options allow for randomization of key items, characters, treasures, shops, and more.

There are some important gameplay changes from the original game to note; the NPCs in the training room cover the essentials, and a full detailed list of Free Enterprise's changes can be found here.
    Here are screenshots from the opening scene of the seed in the pic above, where you start with Cid and Yang (replacing Kain and Cecil due to the C2 randomization flag) and then the MomBomb (replacing Baigan due to the B flag) give them the Package (the vanilla default because the K flag is not set). This means when you come back here through the Waterway after getting the Baron Key, you'll fight the MomBomb instead of Baigan. Bosses HP and stats are adjusted to the boss they are replacing, which is (in my opinion) one of the coolest features of this hack and leads to a ton of replayability as you face off against a late game boss with an early game party or an early game boss with massively buffed HP and attack power.

Then the bridge-crossing theme plays and as they board the Enterprise

From there, you're free to explore and go anywhere. In this case, since you have the Package, you can go to mist and trigger the cutscene (when the valley collapses, the airship will be moved to where you respawn):

Perhaps the most notable thing is that this hack can (optionally) restore all of the items and abilities that were present only in the Japanese version of the game. Some of those items can have a substantial impact on gameplay especially when randomizers are involved (for example, you might able to buy a stack of Coffins or HourGlass items and use them to kill enemies way above your level). You can also turn on/off random encounters from the config menu if you set the "E3" flag:

Cutscenes still trigger but most of the game's dialog has been removed. When you hand Golbez the Earth Crystal in the Tower of Zot, there's no scene with Tellah or anything. He just zaps you and walks a way. Then you talk to Kain (or whatever party member is replacing Kain for this seed) who says nothing and leads you to free Rosa (or whoever) from the falling orb. Note you can re-enter Zot at any time, even after completing it:

Also, cutscenes can be triggered whenever the key item and character requirements are met. For example, if you enter Village Mist but do not have the "Package" from the King, nothing will happen and you can enter and leave at will. However, if you do have the package, the destruction of the village will commence as soon as you step on the tile where the scene triggers in the original game. Then you can go to Kaipo and trigger the cutscene there, which counts as a boss for the randomization flags. So you can get a scenario like this:

Golbez dispatches The Four Fiends to take out Palom, Porom will defend her brother.

Characters won't ever leave your party until you dismiss them to make room for another character. The way that works is that whenever there's an event where a character joins, they'll automatically join unless you have a full party. If your party is full, you'll have to dismiss someone to make room or reject the new character. It looks like this:

You can take their equipment:

So that's basically it. There are a lot of flags to play with and the hack is really slick. It seems to have been designed with the speedrunning audience in mind and there are a variety of minor quality-of-life hacks not mentioned. For example, if a character levels up more than once, it just tells you how many levels were gained rather than repeating the message N times.

There's an FF4FE league where they do races. Generally the way it works is that it starts off with a scavenger hunt as players look for different items and characters (this depends on the flags), then make decisions about what to do based on what they find.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Re: FF4 Free Enterprise: Open World Final Fantasy IV (IIus).

I've been watching the youtube videos for this for close to two months now, and I only told Dale about it because I didn't think anyone else would have been interested here.

One thing I love about the FF4FE is that they set it up so that the last boss' upgraded version has a random sprite. There've been some pretty funny wrong-universe sprites used, and with the sheer randomness of the randomizer (redundancy intended) the only people who know what the list fully contains is the developer.

Unfortunately, I can't play it because my one ROM for FFIV (and yes, I have a legit SNES and DS copy) is the wrong ROM version and isn't compatible with the randomization system. So I settle for watching/listening while doing other things.

I've also found videos for an FFVI randomizer (which doesn't rewrite the game's order, like for FFIV), and a Super Metroid-Link to the Past mashup (which rewrites the games' order and also allows you to move between both games and collect items for one game in the other).

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

Yeah FFVI has a much more elaborate and involved plot for the first half of the game and the second half is already open-world style, although it could probably work. I haven't seen the Metroid/Zelda mashup but I have seen a couple of alttp randomizers (or maybe it was and old and new version of the same one, I haven't done much research there as I'm still playing ff4fe).

One thing I love about the FF4FE is that they set it up so that the last boss' upgraded version has a random sprite. There've been some pretty funny wrong-universe sprites used, and with the sheer randomness of the randomizer (redundancy intended) the only people who know what the list fully contains is the developer.
    Yes though that one you can disable by not turning on the Z flag. Another detail is the music for the twinharp scene. It doesn't have its own flag but in randomized games he plays something different. I've gotten Aeris' theme and Cyan's theme and two I didn't recognize. (The Aeris theme came out well, the others were OK but not really intended to be played on a harp tbh)

Overall this randomizer is great for that, it has a high degree of polish and attention to detail. In one of the videos (possibly the one I linked) one of them remarks about that if you go to the underworld via Tower of Babil before getting the Magma key (which you can do if you get the hook first), and then throw the magma key in the well after drilling from below using the Falcon, the item will be consumed (freeing the spot in your inventory) and a character will make a small remark.
    Last edited by Goladus; August 1st, 2018 at 06:34 AM.

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

Oh man, just tried a seed with some difficult flags and got a rather hard one. Average item/boss randomizations with T2, S2, B, and K. (better items show up in underworld/moon, keys come in key locations not in trapped chests or anything). But the difficult part:

C3: Fixed party, all recruit points will be duplicates of 5 characters. I rolled Rosa, Yang, Palom, Porom, and Tellah.

N: No Free Lunch (means you don't get to recruit free characters at Watery Pass, Damcyan, Mysidia, and Ordeals)

W2: Wyvern's MegaNuke is replaced with some other ability, which is normally not as harsh as MegaNuke. In this case, I got "Hug" which is the Valkyrie ability that does Petrify+Cure. So basically he opens with a full party instant petrify attack. Great. And, no one in my party can equip the Aegis shield if I had found one (I didn't). Plus, he showed up in Milon-Z's slot, meaning he gets an automatic rear attack, which means I have basically zero chance to get any moves off before the instant petrify. Luckily he wasn't guarding anything important. If you level up high enough (I was 48) and have some good magic resist gear(rune rings), hug has a good chance to miss, which is how I beat him (he was guarding the Pink tail).

Otherwise, let's just say that I've made heavy use of exploiting enemy weak points with Rosa's Arrows. Especially since I picked up a Heroine (Minerva) armor early, which turns Rosa (or Rydia with whips) into a reasonably capable fighter.

edit: Full flags and seed: J2KC3T2S2BF2NE3X2Y2GW2Z, 33735333

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Don't it just figure

I'm up far too early due to an overnight ticket waking me up through the work phone

I figure "hey I'll give this a shot"

And their website is inaccessible.

Edit: Found out their discord posted a new URL. http://ff4fe.com/
    Last edited by Mileron; August 10th, 2018 at 08:13 AM.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Completed my first run in 4 hours. Fusoya and Cid were my powerhouses until Yang leveled up. Tellah's lack of HP had him the only one dead upon Z-battle.
    Everyone was in the low 40s, except Fusoya (who started at 50) - he got to 60.
    Free adamant armor in shops was OP. I don't think I'll do that again intentionally. It was however quite fun.

Spoiler for #1:

FreeEnterprise-J2KP2C2T4S4BFE3X2$3Y2W2Z-33911014 (free items, all items in shops)

Palom + Tellah
    Got LittleRydia at Mt. Hobbs (Kainazzo)
    Antlion - spoon
    Damcyan - Fusoya
    LittleRydia - Mt. Ordeals (boo)
    Mt. Ordeals - boss/Baron Guards
    Mt. Ordeals - backboss/Mist D
    Mt. Ordeals - item (Baron key)
    Mt. Ordeals - changeboss/Yang (Tellah nuked him to death with a single Venom via Recall)
    Baron Castle - Rubicant (at the Baigan slot)
    Baron Castle - Guards (at the king slot)
    Received Cid; received Magma
    Dropped Magma
    Dwarf Castle - Bahamut (Dolls slot) Wall did NOT stick on any but Cid
    Dwarf Castle - Waterhag (Golbez)
    Received Package
    Mist - Yang No Ruby
    Kaipo - Golbez + Shadow (in Guard slot)
    Baron Inn - Odin (guard slot) followed by Pale Dim
    Porom (didn't join)
    Fabul gauntlet - DK
    Fabul King - tower key
    Fabul King's bedroom - ODIN summon
    Tower of Bab-il - picked up Levia summon
    Tower of Bab-il - EvilWall (in the Rubicant slot) - received Crystal
    Tower of Bab-il - Elements (Imp slot/cannon room) - received Hook
    Magnetic Cave - Dark elf became CPU - received Legend
    Monster cave - Wyvern in Leviathan's slot, so popped out to
    Sealed Cave - got Pan - boss was three Dark Imps
    Sylph Cave - woke Yang - got Sandruby from the wife
    Eblan Cave - Edward (in Edge's spot)
    Tower 2 - Asura (in Edge's Parents spot)
    Tower 2 - Valvalis (in Rubicante's spot)
    Moon - Edge (in Fusoya's spot)
    Lunar Subterrane - Dolls (in the DLizard spot) and Lugae (in the one next to it)

4 hours 1 minute
    14/17 key items
    11/18 characters (No Cecil, Kain, Rosa)
    23/34 bosses

Cecil was apparently in Tower of Zot, which I couldn't figure out how to get up to

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Run #2 - also just shy of 4 hours.

Cecil and Yang were great but I didn't have any higher-end Yangclaws so I traded him out for Edge towards the end.
    Had to grind to 70+ due to bad equipment luck and not knowing how to "nerf" the Big Bangs.

Also, the randomized shops makes it REALLY hard to find tents/cabins.

Spoiler for #2:

FreeEnterprise-J2KC2T3S3B2F2E3X2$3Y2W2Z-SATURDAY

Edward + Palom (Earth Crystal)
    Damcyan - Yang
    Mist - Fabul fight (in mist-d slot; failed)
    Mt. Hobbs - Bomb fight + DKC (Leviathan; failed)
    Watery Pass - Fusoya joined
    Watery Pass - Dr.Lugae (Octomam slot)
    Antlion Cave - Evil Wall (Antlion slot) - Received hook
    Mt. Hobbs - went back after Palom learned Lit2 - DKCecil joined
    Mist - finished Fabul fight
    Mt. Ordeals - Rosa joined (replaced Edward). Bahamut (Milon1 slot; FuSoYa nuked the shit out of him with Ice3)
    Fabul - D.Lunar (in the Fabul Fight) - got Magmakey
    Dwarf - (can't remember) - Sandruby
    Baron Inn - Plague and Asura (in Guard slots)
    Mt. Ordeals - With Fu knowing Ice3, managed to nuke the Wyvern (in Milon2 slot) with the first volley, before Wall hit.
    Mt. Ordeals - Rat tail (in change room)
    Tail Cave - swapped tail for Legend sword
    Cave of Eblan - Porom (rejected)
    Tower Bab-il - Elements (in Parents' spot) and Antlion (in Rubicant spot)
    Land of Monsters - Ogopogo (in Leviathan slot. Kick in the f'in teeth was what that was)
    Fabul - Got Twinharp from Yang's wife
    Magnet Cave - CPU (in Dark Elf slot). The crystal turned into Spoon. The music playing for the Twinharp bit was the Final Fantasy X battle music.
    Troia - Edward gave Package
    Mist - Kaipo - Rosa joined (sad) - Eblan Royals in Guard slot
    Lower Tower - Odin, then Excalibur in a Monster box
    Lower Tower - Odin (in Lugae's spot); received Crystal
    Lower Tower - Milon1 (in three-imp spot); got Baron key when rescued
    Baron Inn - Plague and Asura redux - received Pan; rejected Tellah
    Baron Castle - Kainazzo (Baigan slot); Dark Imps (Kainazzo slot); Edge joined (replaced Yang)
    Sealed Cave - Adamant from crystal
    Tower of Zot - Rydia (rejected) Fusoya (already have); got Pink tail
    Mysidia - Palom (have) and Kain (rejected)
    Baron Castle - OFficer/guards (in Odin slot)

Due to bad armoring/equipping, and no Darkness crystal, I had to take a Pass to the moon. Found out that, at level 45, it wasn't enough to kill Z. Nor 50, 55, or 60. Had to grind to 70 to be able to kill him.

My Z sprite: Ridley.

Completed in 3:55
    16/17 key items
    16/18 characters (never saw Cid or Edward)
    240/399 treasures
    24/34 bosses

The game review at the end in this case should be the "idiot review" because apparently I forgot to go back to Yang's wife - who had the Darkness crystal. *facepalm*

Maybe in a couple weeks I'll try the Seeds of the Week that are thrown up in the Discord.

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mileron View Post
    Completed my first run in 4 hours. Fusoya and Cid were my powerhouses until Yang leveled up. Tellah's lack of HP had him the only one dead upon Z-battle.
    Free adamant armor in shops was OP. I don't think I'll do that again intentionally. It was however quite fun.

Spoiler for #1:

FreeEnterprise-J2KP2C2T4S4BFE3X2$3Y2W2Z-33911014 (free items, all items in shops)
    Haven't read anything in the spoiler yet except for the flags/seed. And if there's anything that's as OP than finding Adamant armor in a shop, it's finding both Apples and Firebombs (firebomb damage is based off the user's current HP). I just started a run of this seed I'll let you know how it goes.,

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

Cecil was apparently in Tower of Zot, which I couldn't figure out how to get up to
    It's in Troia castle. In the room with the 8 clerics, there's a green guy standing there. He'll take you to the Tower.

Too bad about not finding Cecil, though, because:

Yeah I don't 100% know the timing on that, sometimes walls work fine, sometimes not. Even in Vanilla, I sometimes wind up with a wall or two expiring. In this particular seed you had moonveils in a shop in Kaipo, which normally doesn't happen. MoonVeils are OP and I think would not have expired. MoonVeils also raise your evasion values extremely high.

Spoiler for #1:

Palom + Tellah
    Got LittleRydia at Mt. Hobbs (Kainazzo)
    Antlion - spoon
    Damcyan - Fusoya
    LittleRydia - Mt. Ordeals (boo)
    Mt. Ordeals - boss/Baron Guards
    Mt. Ordeals - backboss/Mist D
    Mt. Ordeals - item (Baron key)
    Mt. Ordeals - changeboss/Yang (Tellah nuked him to death with a single Venom via Recall)
    Baron Castle - Rubicant (at the Baigan slot)
    Baron Castle - Guards (at the king slot)
    Received Cid; received Magma
    Dropped Magma
    Dwarf Castle - Waterhag (Golbez)
    Received Package
    Mist - Yang No Ruby
    Kaipo - Golbez + Shadow (in Guard slot)
    Baron Inn - Odin (guard slot) followed by Pale Dim
    Porom (didn't join)
    Fabul gauntlet - DK
    Fabul King - tower key
    Fabul King's bedroom - ODIN summon
    Tower of Bab-il - picked up Levia summon
    Tower of Bab-il - EvilWall (in the Rubicant slot) - received Crystal
    Tower of Bab-il - Elements (Imp slot/cannon room) - received Hook
    Magnetic Cave - Dark elf became CPU - received Legend
    Monster cave - Wyvern in Leviathan's slot, so popped out to
    Sealed Cave - got Pan - boss was three Dark Imps
    Sylph Cave - woke Yang - got Sandruby from the wife
    Eblan Cave - Edward (in Edge's spot)
    Tower 2 - Asura (in Edge's Parents spot)
    Tower 2 - Valvalis (in Rubicante's spot)
    Moon - Edge (in Fusoya's spot)
    Lunar Subterrane - Dolls (in the DLizard spot) and Lugae (in the one next to it)

4 hours 1 minute
    14/17 key items
    11/18 characters (No Cecil, Kain, Rosa)
    23/34 bosses

This one was fun, I haven't done a seed quite this generous with items, yet. Figures though, that it trolled me endlessly with that Crystal drop. I don't remember the specific route but it was the 15th key item I got. My stats were:

Time - 1:27:13
    Key Items - 16/17
    Characters - 12/18
    Treasures - 55/399
    Bosses - 17/34

Final party was Rydia, Porom, FuSoYa, Cecil, and Kain. I ditched Palom instead of Porom for Cecil only because Porom has higher agility. I forget where I got Kain, I think he was in Mysidia but I don't remember..

So I guess the key with these flags was the free randomized shops. The treasure count is one of the lowest I've had, checked some almost out of habit (and lucked out finding a Crystal Sword in Baron) but mostly got everything important from shops. The same shop that had Adamant armor also had Ribbons, and there were Crystal Rings in Mist. When I found Silver Apples in Silvera I bought a few hundred of them and jacked everone's HPs up to 8k or so. Then I found Firebombs in Kaipo, so between those and Rydia's Bahamut I knew I'd be able to handle pretty much any boss so I just started going after key items.

I wound up skipping the moon entirely and going to Zeromus At level 33-35 with everyone but FuSoYa(52). In this case, since I didn't really have to worry about Big Bang damage because I had 10k hitpoints, Ribbon/Adamant/Crystal armor (and for complete overkill, Asura for healing): I just used MoonVeils on everyone and nuked the shit out of him. Zeromus counters most magic with Nuke and some summons (Bahamut) with Virus, which just bounces off the walls and hits him.

Spoiler for Final Party:
    ]

Spoiler for Zeromus Counter-Attack Failure:

Bahamut meganuking Vaatimus:

The counter-attack:
    Last edited by Goladus; August 15th, 2018 at 07:12 PM.

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

I admit though that even though the general mentality of people who play is racing to Zeromus, I often find I prefer the more marathony, "all bosses, key items, and characters" approach that usually takes me 3-4 hours. While racing to Z is fun, it's also fun to see all the bosses in all the different slots and face them with different characters and equipment.

One issue though is that I find it's difficult to really enjoy a marathon because I wind up over-leveled. The XP acceleration is great in the early and middle part of the game and the "10 key item bonus" is very well-balanced when your goal is Zeromus. But if you level up at all to prepare for the Lunar Subterrane, you'll wind up grossly over-leveled by the time you finish clearing all the chests and bosses. But if you shut off XP acceleration, the early game gets more frustrating. The way it works when it's on is that you have a selection of easy-ish early game bosses that you can try to kill at very low levels, but you really only need to kill a couple of them to get out of the "standard attacks only do 30 damage" phase of the game.

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

Also, I wrote a script that can dump the item shops from the rom. It would be cheating to use this in a race but when I'm just playing for fun I don't like having to remember where all the randomized items are. Also, some of the item names are incorrect because I'm using data from my old code which was designed for the original game (in particular I need to update the summon items)

Code:
    Adamant Armor        troia-armor
    Aegis Shield         eblan-armor
    AgApple              silvera-items
    Alarm Clock          silvera-items
    Antidote             fabul-items
    Archer Bow           feymarch-weapons
    Artemis Bow          kokkol-weapons
    Assassin             mysidia-weapons
    AuApple              dwarf-items
    Bacchus              baron-items
    Bandanna             kaipo-armor
    Bestiary             baron-items
    BigBomb              troia-items
    Black Armor          mist-armor
    Black Gauntlet       feymarch-armor
    Black Helm           tomra-armor
    Black Robes          eblan-armor
    Black Sword          mysidia-weapons
    Blitz Whip           feymarch-weapons
    Blizzard             dwarf-items
    Blizzard Spear       silvera-weapons
    Bomb call            agart-items
    Bomblet              feymarch-items
    Boomerang            dwarf-weapons
    Boreas               eblan-items
    Cabin                fabul-items
    Cap                  troia-armor
    Carrot               tomra-items
    Chain Whip           kaipo-weapons
    Change Rod           troia-weapons
    Charm Harp           eblan-weapons
    Charm Rod            kaipo-weapons
    Cockatrice Call      feymarch-items
    Coffin               hummingway
    Cross                eblan-items
    Crossbow             kaipo-weapons
    Crystal Armor        fabul
    Crystal Ring         mist-armor
    Crystal Sword        feymarch-weapons
    Cure1                feymarch-items
    Cure2                troia-pass
    Cure3                fabul-items
    Cursed Ring          baron-armor
    Dancing Dagger       kaipo-weapons
    Dark Matter          feymarch-items
    Darkness Armor       dwarf-armor
    Darkness Arrows      silvera-weapons
    Darkness Sword       troia-weapons
    Defense Sword        troia-weapons
    Diamond Armor        tomra-armor
    Diamond Gauntlet     mist-armor
    Diamond Helm         mist-armor
    Diamond Ring         feymarch-armor
    Diamond Shield       feymarch-armor
    Diet Food            fabul-items
    Dragoon Shield       tomra-armor
    Dragoon Spear        fabul
    Drain Spear          kaipo-weapons
    Drain Sword          troia-weapons
    Dreamer Harp         kaipo-weapons
    EagleEye             troia-items
    Earth Drum           mysidia-items
    Echo Herb            baron-items
    Elixir               hummingway
    Ether1               agart-items
    Ether2               silvera-items
    Exit                 fabul-items
    Eye Drop             silvera-items
    Fire Armor           agart-armor
    Fire Arrows          tomra-weapons
    Fire Claw            silvera-weapons
    Firebomb             kaipo-items
    Flame Spear          feymarch-weapons
    Full Moon            fabul
    Gaia Armor           dwarf-armor
    Glass Helm           tomra-armor
    Great Bow            agart-weapon
    Grimoire             dwarf-items
    HandAxe              agart-weapon
    Headband             troia-armor
    Heal                 baron-items
    Hermes               troia-items
    Hourglass1           mysidia-items
    Hourglass2           baron-items
    Hourglass3           silvera-items
    Ice Arrows           eblan-weapons
    Ice Claw             kaipo-weapons
    Ice Rod              mysidia-weapons
    Ice Shield           dwarf-armor
    Illusion             agart-items
    Imp call             baron-items
    Iron Armor           silvera-armor
    Iron Arrows          fabul
    Iron Gauntlet        kaipo-armor
    Kamikaze             feymarch-items
    Leather Cap          tomra-armor
    Leather Tunic        troia-armor
    Life Staff           troia-weapons
    Life1                hummingway
    Light Sword          eblan-weapons
    Lillith Rod          eblan-weapons
    Lit-Bolt             eblan-items
    Long Blade           troia-weapons
    Lunar Staff          dwarf-weapons
    Mage call            troia-pass
    Maiden Kiss          agart-items
    Masamune             dwarf-weapons
    Medusa Arrows        dwarf-weapons
    Minerva              fabul
    MoonVeil             kaipo-items
    Murasame             kaipo-weapons
    Mute Arrows          baron-weapons
    Mute Bell            agart-items
    Ninja Blade          feymarch-weapons
    Ninja Garb           kaipo-armor
    Ninja Star           fabul
    Notus                mysidia-items
    Ogre Axe             mysidia-weapons
    Paladin Helm         agart-armor
    Paladin Shield       agart-armor
    Poison Arrows        tomra-weapons
    Poison Axe           eblan-weapons
    Poison Claw          silvera-weapons
    Power Vest           mist-armor
    Ribbon               troia-armor
    Rod                  mist-weapons
    Ruby Ring            eblan-armor
    Rune Axe             eblan-weapons
    Rune Ring            feymarch-armor
    Samurai Armor        feymarch-armor
    Samurai Bow          tomra-weapons
    Samurai Gauntlet     mysidia-armor
    Samurai Helm         agart-armor
    Shadow Gauntlet      mist-armor
    Shadow Helm          silvera-armor
    Shadow Shield        tomra-armor
    Shadow Sword         mist-weapons
    Short Blade          silvera-weapons
    Silence Staff        kokkol-weapons
    SilkWeb              dwarf-items
    Silver Armor         troia-armor
    Silver Dagger        agart-weapon
    Silver Gauntlet      kaipo-armor
    Silver Helm          silvera-armor
    Silver Shield        mysidia-armor
    Silver Staff         eblan-weapons
    Silver Sword         fabul
    Siren                hummingway
    Slumber Sword        silvera-weapons
    Soft                 tomra-items
    SomaDrop             dwarf-items
    Sorcerer Robes       mist-armor
    Spear                agart-weapon
    Staff                troia-weapons
    Stardust             tomra-items
    Stardust Rod         dwarf-weapons
    StarVeil             fabul-items
    Succubus             fabul-items
    Sylph call           kaipo-items
    Tent                 hummingway
    ThorRage             mysidia-items
    Thunder Rod          silvera-weapons
    Tiny Hammer          hummingway
    Unicorn Horn         fabul-items
    Vampire              silvera-items
    Whip                 kokkol-weapons
    Whistle              agart-items
    White Arrows         fabul
    White Robes          mist-armor
    White Spear          dwarf-weapons
    Wizard Hat           agart-armor
    ZeusRage             agart-items

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

I'm still re-learning where everything is, what everything does, and the addition of the J-items is throwing me for a loop because, well, I never had to worry about them before.

Quote Originally Posted by Goladus View Post
    Yeah I don't 100% know the timing on that, sometimes walls work fine, sometimes not. Even in Vanilla, I sometimes wind up with a wall or two expiring. In this particular seed you had moonveils in a shop in Kaipo, which normally doesn't happen. MoonVeils are OP and I think would not have expired. MoonVeils also raise your evasion values extremely high.

This one was fun, I haven't done a seed quite this generous with items, yet. ...

So I guess the key with these flags was the free randomized shops. The treasure count is one of the lowest I've had, checked some almost out of habit (and lucked out finding a Crystal Sword in Baron) but mostly got everything important from shops. The same shop that had Adamant armor also had Ribbons, and there were Crystal Rings in Mist. When I found Silver Apples in Silvera I bought a few hundred of them and jacked everone's HPs up to 8k or so. Then I found Firebombs in Kaipo, so between those and Rydia's Bahamut I knew I'd be able to handle pretty much any boss so I just started going after key items.
    From your post, I can see that they'd definitely be extremely useful in pushing through the game.

I started this one Sunday (obviously) and finished tonight. I went a little slower; spent too much time in the two Towers and the Giant that I didn't need to.

FreeEnterprise-J2KPC2T3S2B2F2E3X2$3Y2W2Z-SUndAY

Final Party: Edge/Rosa/Cid/Fu/Cecil average level 65
    Completed: 3:19:30
    Key items: 16/17
    Characters: 17/18
    Treasures: 165/399
    Bosses: 29/34

Even at nearly 70, Fu will only have around 2500hp. He'll either need to pound fruit (if available) or pound pavement in future runs if I find a better blackmage.

As I mentioned, the J-items should be benefiting me more but I just let them sit in my inventory. I should look them up.

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

Here's my summary on the J-items

Sirens. These are mostly used for XP grinding but can also be used to fight the Pink Puffs and other rare enemies. For XP, There are a few spots where you can use sirens to automatically trigger fights with very favorable HP/difficulty to XP ratios. If you've watched races, I'm sure you've seen people grinding on the Yellow Dragon Eggs in the underworld. (in the Newbie Guide) I've also seen people use them on Mount Ordeals (the Liliths on the summit) and the 3 Warlocks battle in the Lunar Subterrane.

StarVeils - Wall on yourself. IS reflected, so you can use 2 StarVeils to wall an enemy (such as Asura if she shows up in a slot before you have learned Wall). Good for beating Golbez, Bahamut and Wyvern also.

Illusions are fantastic for Behemoths and many bosses. Some of the early-game bosses can be very rough if they show up in a late game spot. The Baron Soldiers, for example, if they get in a spot with high agility and strength, can wreck you pretty fast. Blink and illusions are a godsend. (Although for Baron Soldiers specifically, if you don't have N2 on, you can wipe them out in one shot with Odin)

HrGlass{1,2,3} - These are all extremely good for killing higher-level enemies when you're at lower levels. The only issue is that if enemies have attacks queued when it lands, the attacks will still fire. So for something like that "5 Warriors" chest in the Land of Summoned Monsters (it has the Defense Sword in the Vanilla game), you can have the first character throw on HrGlass and it'll stop all of them, but they'll still get 5 chances to attack. So long as you survive that, they're sitting ducks. I'll note that I've yet to have an HrGlass1 expire on me. I think it would take a fairly unusual situation where you're just really not able to do much damage to see it wear off. But still, I always grab the level 2 and level 3 versions if I can get them.

Coffin - Faster cast and seems to have a higher hit rate than the Fatal spell. A combination of HrGlass and Coffin can make quick work of most yard trash.

Bacchus Wine - Casts Berserk on yourself and penetrates wall. Berserk is really good in FF4.

FireBomb, Blizzard, and Lit-Bolt - This items use a damage formula that winds up looking something like "Current HP / 2." So if you have Cid with 6,000 HP, he can throw a Lit-Bolt for about 3,000 damage.

GaiaDrum, Stardust - Casts Quake and Comet respectively. Can be useful against early game enemies when you don't have any real damage options.

ZeusRage, BigBomb, Boreas - Occasionally the Level-2 items can come in handy. I often don't need them but often save a couple just in case. Not very useful past the early game, though. Have definitely used these to make quick work of bosses that show up the Mt Hobs, Antlion, and Fabul slots.

ThorRage, Bomb, Notus - Level-1 element magic and not very useful. The only one of these I've ever really used for anything is the ThorRage for scaring Kainazzo. I usually just ditch these.

Bestiary - Peep that works on bosses (reveals HP and elemental weaknesses.)

SilkWeb - Maximum Slow. White Mage Slow actually requires multiple casts to reach maximum effect. This can be useful on some bosses. I often grab a couple just in case, but rarely use more than 3 or 4 in a playthrough.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Here's my summary on the J-items
    You ROCK

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

Yeah FuSoYa's main drawbacks are low MP, slow HP growth and no stat growth, particularly the magic stats and agility. His MP does actually start increasing gradually after level 70. He's a beast right up until the end of the game, though, even with his low agility. Starting at level 50 is a huge advantage even when you don't unlock his spells by default. But the low agility can be painful if you're depending on him for healing. Even Cid clears 20 base agility after level 50, while FuSoYa is stuck there permanently.

I love black mages but for Zeromus, 3 fighters and 2 white mages is great. You can just berserk the fighters and pop cure4 whenever needed with the white mages.

But the black mage choices are interesting. People tend to prefer Palom over Rydia because Palom gains levels faster and learns Virus and Quake super early. With J2 Palom also gets "Bluff" which boosts his magic stat during battle. Rydia's usefulness in ff4fe is highly dependent on finding good call magic. My first randomized playthrough I got a ton of Rydia stuff early: Odin, Slyph, Asura, and the Dragon Whip. And I found Bahamut and Leviathan mid-way through. She kicked ass in that run. But in another one I got almost nothing, leaving her fairly gimped until her levels got high enough for Virus, Quake, and Nuke.

In any case, these are the key black magics in my opinion:

1. Nuke (clears 5k damage easily, up to 9k with good wisdom)
    2. Quake (2k-3k damage on all enemies and ignores wall)
    3. Virus (1k-2k damage and casts instantly)
    4. Weak (works on a lot of high-HP enemies that are otherwise a huge pain in the ass (Red/Mac Giants, Ging/King-Ryu, D. Machin)
    5. Stone (instakills a surprisingly large number of enemies including the Warlocks and Karys in the Lunar Subterrane)
    6. Stop (if you don't have hourglasses)

If you have glitches on, having Warp can get you the sealed cave key item in the dwarf castle after the Calbrena/Golbez fight.

Good Call Spells are:
    1. Bahamut
    2. Asura (although rolling a Life sucks, her heals penetrate wall which is super useful)
    3. Sylph (the only single-target wall-ignoring damage spell you can get in FF4FE, and it heals your party at the same time as a bonus)
    4. Leviathan
    5. Odin (hit rate could be better but works on enemies immune to other instakill attacks)
    6. Mist Dragon (conditionally good if you can get Rydia's HP up, since its damage is based on her current HP. Note for Mist Dragon, it's the full HP amount, not 50% like lit-bolt. So Mist will do ~2k damage if Rydia has ~2k hitpoints.)
    Last edited by Goladus; August 16th, 2018 at 07:00 AM.

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

You ROCK
    Thanks. Note that there's a lot of shit that's just there to cure specific ailments and is almost all nearly useless. The only really notable one is Soft, since a number of bosses have petrify attacks (notably Valvalis and EvilWall) and you might run into them before you've found Heal potions or learned Heal. UniHorn, a full party heal, is also theoretically useful but I haven't needed one yet. I've never used: Antidote (poison), Mallet (mini), MaidKiss (frog), EchoNote (mute), Alarm (sleep) or DietFood (pig).

Also, if you see DkMatter in a chest be sure to DISCARD it since it'll take up a spot in your inventory that you can't clear.

The MuteBell another theoretically useful item that I often keep if I find them but discard when my inventory gets crowded. You can throw it on Lunar Warlocks or those Fire2-spamming Ghosts in the Slylph Cave and unlike the HourGlass it thwarts already-queued attacks. But I actually don't wind up using it much-- either a white mage turn comes up anyway and I can just cast mute normally, or I just use the HourGlass anyway and suck up a round of damage.

The Vampire (HP Drain) item does surprisingly decent damage at least at mid-levels. I can imagine they'd be useful for early bosses and maybe situationally, but I don't find these to be a general use item like the HourGlass or Coffins. I often keep these and wind up not using them.

The Succubus (MP Drain) is not that useful I find. Although it can enable a white mage to suck MP from an enemy which they otherwise can't do, I'm rarely starved for mana and if I am, it's usually more reliable to just pop an Ether. In Vanilla there were a few enemies that were useful for MP-draining (like Trickers in the Lunar sub.) but when you can disable encounters, long-term mana management isn't a big issue.

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

One more tip, which I think you can find in-game, is that Asura is weak against anti-mage weaponry. Specifically:

RuneAxe
    Mute Dagger
    Mute Arrows
    Silence Staff
    Elven Bow (I haven't tested to see if this actually works without mute arrows, but the flag is set)

I've had Kain Jumping with a RuneAxe clear 6k damage at mid levels. Actually having the RuneAxe for the Asura fight is a cool thing that would rarely happen in vanilla but is reasonably common with FF4FE.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Yeah FuSoYa's main drawbacks are low MP, slow HP growth and no stat growth, particularly the magic stats and agility. His MP does actually start increasing gradually after level 70. He's a beast right up until the end of the game, though, even with his low agility. Starting at level 50 is a huge advantage even when you don't unlock his spells by default. But the low agility can be painful if you're depending on him for healing. Even Cid clears 20 base agility after level 50, while FuSoYa is stuck there permanently.
    Oh. That's why after using Regen, Fu sits for like 4 rounds without doing anything. Got it.

I love black mages but for Zeromus, 3 fighters and 2 white mages is great. You can just berserk the fighters and pop cure4 whenever needed with the white mages.
    This is what I've done with Cid, Cecil, and Edge (after exhausting a good set of throwing items). I haven't had a run with Kain at the end yet, but I don't remember him being overly good with single-target attacks compared to Jumping.

But the black mage choices are interesting. People tend to prefer Palom over Rydia because Palom gains levels faster and learns Virus and Quake super early. With J2 Palom also gets "Bluff" which boosts his magic stat during battle. Rydia's usefulness in ff4fe is highly dependent on finding good call magic. My first randomized playthrough I got a ton of Rydia stuff early: Odin, Slyph, Asura, and the Dragon Whip. And I found Bahamut and Leviathan mid-way through. She kicked ass in that run. But in another one I got almost nothing, leaving her fairly gimped until her levels got high enough for Virus, Quake, and Nuke.
    Yeah, my luck with finding summonses has been terrible. In my three completed runs, I've only ever found Leviathan, then Odin, and then Bahamut.

In any case, these are the key black magics in my opinion
    I didn't realize Weak, Stone, and Stop were as useful as they are.

Good Call Spells
    3. Sylph (the only single-target wall-ignoring damage spell you can get in FF4FE, and it heals your party at the same time as a bonus)
    6. Mist Dragon (conditionally good if you can get Rydia's HP up, since its damage is based on her current HP. Note for Mist Dragon, it's the full HP amount, not 50% like lit-bolt. So Mist will do ~2k damage if Rydia has ~2k hitpoints.)
    Didn't know about the conditions for both of these. Good to know.

Thanks. Note that there's a lot of shit that's just there to cure specific ailments and is almost all nearly useless. The only really notable one is Soft, since a number of bosses have petrify attacks (notably Valvalis and EvilWall) and you might run into them before you've found Heal potions or learned Heal. UniHorn, a full party heal, is also theoretically useful but I haven't needed one yet. I've never used: Antidote (poison), Mallet (mini), MaidKiss (frog), EchoNote (mute), Alarm (sleep) or DietFood (pig).
    From Vanilla, I remember Soft, Antidote, Mallet, Maidkiss, and Echo, but not Alarm or Dietfood.

Also, if you see DkMatter in a chest be sure to DISCARD it since it'll take up a spot in your inventory that you can't clear.[/quote]
    Here I kept keeping that. Had 3? in my last run. I'll make sure to swap it out for deletion in the future.

The MuteBell another theoretically useful item that I often keep if I find them but discard when my inventory gets crowded. You can throw it on Lunar Warlocks or those Fire2-spamming Ghosts in the Slylph Cave and unlike the HourGlass it thwarts already-queued attacks. But I actually don't wind up using it much-- either a white mage turn comes up anyway and I can just cast mute normally, or I just use the HourGlass anyway and suck up a round of damage.
    Hmm, I'll have to remember that one too.

The Vampire (HP Drain) item does surprisingly decent damage at least at mid-levels. I can imagine they'd be useful for early bosses and maybe situationally, but I don't find these to be a general use item like the HourGlass or Coffins. I often keep these and wind up not using them.
    I must be waiting too long to use them; they never seem to do a usable amount of damage at later game.

The Succubus (MP Drain) is not that useful I find. Although it can enable a white mage to suck MP from an enemy which they otherwise can't do, I'm rarely starved for mana and if I am, it's usually more reliable to just pop an Ether. In Vanilla there were a few enemies that were useful for MP-draining (like Trickers in the Lunar sub.) but when you can disable encounters, long-term mana management isn't a big issue.
    I find it useful to have Fu drain mana from Edge and Cecil

One more tip, which I think you can find in-game, is that Asura is weak against anti-mage weaponry. Specifically:

RuneAxe
    Mute Dagger
    Mute Arrows
    Silence Staff
    Elven Bow (I haven't tested to see if this actually works without mute arrows, but the flag is set)

I've had Kain Jumping with a RuneAxe clear 6k damage at mid levels. Actually having the RuneAxe for the Asura fight is a cool thing that would rarely happen in vanilla but is reasonably common with FF4FE.
    Cid with Runeaxe and Edge with Mute Dagger (especially if you end up with two!) does wonders against her as well.

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

I find it useful to have Fu drain mana from Edge and Cecil
    Hah clever. I forgot I used to do that way back in the original game (with the psych spell).

I didn't realize Weak, Stone, and Stop were as useful as they are.
    Yeah, those enemies I noted are not only particular pains in the ass, but also have a good XP yield. The vanilla "no64" speed run grinds levels on the D. Machin alert battle in the Giant of Bab-Il.

I must be waiting too long to use them; they never seem to do a usable amount of damage at later game.
    Yeah I think there are a few times where I used Vampire on countering enemies like Antlion when he showed up somewhere moderately difficult but not end-game. They're definitely not that useful by the end game.

Elder Arcanist
    Crazy Bard

I've been playing a Zelda Link to the Past randomizer that has been fun so far. I sent the file to Mileron and a couple of other buddies so we can play the same randomization. Not getting a sword at the start proved interesting. I missed a secret in an area with 4 other chests and therefor missed the 5th chest and it of course had the bow in it that I got stuck on. The hammer was also a pain for me, but I eventually got it. I've cleared the first dark world palace even though I haven't gotten the 3rd pendant from the light world. The biggest annoyance is that I still haven't found a bottle or the boots that let you run.

https://alttpr.com/randomizer

I did Standard, No Glitches, Randomized, All Dungeons, Normal, Timed Race with Seed of "Xegony" in case anyone is interested in playing the same one we've got going on.
    If I wanted to be ignored I'd go to work.