Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FF4 Free Enterprise: Open World Final Fantasy IV (IIus).

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

Re: FF4 Free Enterprise: Open World Final Fantasy IV (IIus).

Yeah I generated a seed for the alttp randomizer but haven't played past the first level yet. For some reason it doesn't get me as excited as the FF4 randomizer, and I'm not sure why. I think it's the fact that vanilla FF4 has so much unrealized potential. The linear story and presentation had many advantages but as a consequence a lot of mechanics just wind up ignored or trivial novelties. FF4FE does a phenomenal job of unlocking that potential.

For example, in the vanilla game there's almost never a good reason to give anyone but Rosa a bow&arrow. By the time you find any bows worth using, the only other characters who might use them are Rydia and Cecil, who almost always have better options. In FF4FE, though, you might have characters like Cid or Edward using the Artemis Bow or Elven Bow in a late-game scenario. The Dragon Whip is another example: a novelty almost by design. By the time you're strong enough to farm the Dragons that drop it, you don't need it. But in FF4FE the Dragon Whip is a potentially useful item, especially if you get Heroine Armor as well. In some seeds it can be useful to equip Rydia this way for some bosses as well as for grinding on Yellow Dragons. Even characters like Edward, who still suck, wind up having interesting or unexpected value. His "Hide" command can help a lot with bosses like Plague and Bahamut. He can also use the Dancing Knife, the Assassin Dagger, and the Mute Dagger, none of which he is able to access at all in the original game (technically he can get the dancing dagger using the mist skip glitch). In some seeds, money winds up mattering a lot and deciding what to buy can be meaningful.

There are plenty of other interesting scenarios that can crop up as well, such as not having access to life potions, cure potions, tents, or cabins, which are all pretty much taken for granted in the original game. That's in addition to more obvious fun stuff like building a party of 5 mages or 5 warriors.

The ff4fe randomizer really encourages exploration of the full depth of the game engine as it was designed. So far the only substantially unintuitive and quirky aspect I've encountered is the importance of agility manipulation for a few key fights including Zeromus.
    Last edited by Goladus; August 29th, 2018 at 07:03 AM.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goladus View Post
    Yeah I generated a seed for the alttp randomizer but haven't played past the first level yet. For some reason it doesn't get me as excited as the FF4 randomizer, and I'm not sure why. I think it's the fact that vanilla FF4 has so much unrealized potential. The linear story and presentation had many advantages but as a consequence a lot of mechanics just wind up ignored or trivial novelties. FF4FE does a phenomenal job of unlocking that potential.
    I've played a few hours (2.5-3) of the LTTP-Ran that Dale provided. I haven't played LTTP fully in 25 years - after beating it 8-10 times in a row (as it was my first SNES game other than SMW) it didn't have the grab. FFIV, however, I've replayed every few years since it came out on GB Advance.
    So re-learning LTTP has been a slog; but I too am not enjoying it as much as I do FFIVFE.

That said, I will probably finish two or three LTTP runs just to say that I had, and perhaps investigate other such randomizers.

I heard there's one for Soul Blazer

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

I've played LTTP various times, I think it's just that I've also used a save editor to mess around, giving myself items I wasn't supposed to have and doing dungeons in a different order. And I remember being kind of surprised that it didn't change as much about the experience as I imagined it would. The main thing that interests me about the randomizer is doing challenges, but generally speaking it seems like there's just a lot less fodder for randomization in ALTTP than in FF4. There are 250 items in FF4 compared to something like 50 in ALTTP, not to mention the 34 bosses in FF4 which is my favorite aspect of the randomizer after the open world and turbo hacks.

Also I think one of the most theoretically interesting challenges is the swordless start, but that challenge has never been particularly exciting for me (in ALTTP or the original LoZ)

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

I was up late yesterday night due to a funky stomach, and ended up finding the Soul Blazer randomizer.

https://github.com/LeHulk1/RandoBlazer

Started a game. Got the Soul Armor in the first twenty minutes. (Best Armor in the game). Unlocked/freed NPCs in different worlds. Went to unlock another - game hardlocked.
    Restarted with a new seed. Got the Soul Sword in the first twenty minutes. (Best sword in the game.) Unlocked/freed NPCs in different worlds. Went to unlock another - game hardlocked.
    Restarted with a new seed. Got the third-best sword. (Zantetsu?) Unlocked/freed NPCs in different worlds. Went to unlock another - game hardlocked.

Watched a bit of a stream on the game. Same thing happened to the streamer, and she had to restart with another new seed. I'll have to try the one she used.

-==--==-

Last night, I played some more Zelda. 2 more hours in, finished two Dark dungeons (Skull and Town). Not having the bow, hammer, mirror, or hookshot makes it really difficult to start and/or finish five of the Dark dungeons and two of the Light. Gonna have to explore every. single. cave that I can. Not today though.

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

In the Zelda randomizer, are dungeon-specific items like the Compass and Map randomized within their respective dungeons or can they be anywhere?

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goladus View Post
    In the Zelda randomizer, are dungeon-specific items like the Compass and Map randomized within their respective dungeons or can they be anywhere?
    Only within their respective dungeons - and can even drop from bosses.

I got the map from one boss, and the compass from another

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

The FF4 discord has a cool thing they do called "Seed of the Week." Sunday night, they post a flagset and seed in the SOTW channel. Over the course of the week, people play the seed whenever they have the time. Once they finish, they post their time in the SOTW channel, which automatically gives you access to the sotw-leaderboard channel, where you can see the times of all the other players who have run the seed, and the sotw-spoilers channel where you can chat about the seed.

This week's seed is a "V2" aka "Giant%" which I'd never played before. Basically, instead of fighting Zeromus at the end, you have to beat the bosses in the giant. It's cool because the giant bosses are very hard (especially the boss in the Elements slot), but don't have to worry about the specifics of the Zeromus fight like having enough HP to survive Big Bang. When I'd been playing seeds casually, it never occurred to me to do giant% since I always just did the Fiends and CPU anyway for fun. But in a race/speed context it's actually an interesting alternate goal; especially since you don't know exactly what you're going to get up there.

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

I finally got a chance to play some ALTTP and Z1 randomizer seeds. Z1 was great and almost exactly like I expected. It's basically like a whole new quest, with new dungeon layouts and item locations. (I kept overworld and monster groups the same). I kind of wish I'd randomized monster groups, otherwise it was really fun.

ALTTP was more fun than I expected, but still a bit janky (I haven't actually finished my first seed yet). I've gotten tons of power upgrades (+10 container hearts not shown in image), but have only been able to beat the Tower of Hera in the overworld, because I don't have the Bow&Arrow yet. And still no J-boots, boomerang, or hook shot. Thank goodness for the flute and mirror otherwise I'd have no quality-of-life items at all.

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

I also had to get used to not having a shield at first! I definitely got hit with a couple of arrows that I expected to block.