Thread: Android: SMS Messaging to allow Sound/Notifications from certain contacts, PIN used

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Android: SMS Messaging to allow Sound/Notifications from certain contacts, PIN used

So I received a company phone - Samsung Galaxy S7 with Android 9/Oreo.

I'm required to utilize a PIN lock for almost everything (bootup, unlocking the screen, using email).

I expect to receive texts from certain contacts (including one email-generated text message) that I need to be able to hear the alerts for in almost all cases.

The default messaging app on the phone didn't allow any customization of the alerts from contacts, so I downloaded Google's Android Messages.

This allows a little more customization of contact notification priorities. However, I'm still not getting any vibration or notification sounds when texts appear - even the tests that I've sent from my personal phone don't trigger notification vibrations or sound.

I need to be able to receive these texts, and hear the notification at all times*. Even if it wakes me up.

*Though naturally I'd want to be able to silence them for going to a movie.

Anyone know a messaging app or other notification trigger app that could do this for me?

Re: Android: SMS Messaging to allow Sound/Notifications from certain contacts, PIN us

do you mean custom notifications for each contact or the phone making sound at all for any texts?
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Re: Android: SMS Messaging to allow Sound/Notifications from certain contacts, PIN us

Custom, always (/configurable) audible notifications for 3-5 contacts.

I was hoping DND with Priority would get me what I needed but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

I found another SMS app which got me a bit farther - Textra.

Between:

* the "urgent" classification and DND exception that I set up in Android Messages
    * favoriting contacts
    * Textra's Repeat Notifications
    * DND custom exceptions allowed
    * silent call ringtone

It looks like I'm good to go. My test texts have done what I need them to and now I just need to wait for an "official delivery".