Thread: I want to learn a programming language that I can use

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

I want to learn a programming language that I can use

I've done C++, I've led projects that involved code review that I had to do and I despise C++ as a result.

As someone who majored in web development, I've done PHP, Coldfusion, ASP (with VB, pre- .NET) and my fair share of MS SQL/MySQL both as a result and later as a DBA on the MS side of things.

I despise java for the time being. If they get their shit together, I might be happy with the lack of Oracle involvement, but that's up to the Open folks and them cleaning up ages and platforms of mess.

I've coded IRC bots in python. I've made perl-cgi sites.

That all said, I have plateaued in a programming sense and I've looked into a few of these new "frameworks as languages" and I don't like any bit of what appears to be their transience.

Given my hate for C++, does anyone have a suggestion for a sustained, in-use, long-lasting language for me to learn that involves a compiler?

Part of me wants to go x86 assembly, but I don't have the hardware setup to do so.

I want to learn to be able to compile useful things that address the platform itself, though.

I don't know what's possible so I don't really have a use case for my desire, all I know is...I can do more closer to the hardware than I am doing currently.

Are there options other than C that do low-level stuff?

Most of what I'm going to want is going to be windows-based. (edit -- as the platform OS I'd be working and connecting and programming FROM)
    Last edited by Merrick ap'Milandra; June 30th, 2018 at 12:15 PM.
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

Chaotic Good

Re: I want to learn a programming language that I can use

My experience:
    I did my undergrad (finished circa 2000) in C then Java.
    Dislike(d) C++.
    Thought I was a C-jockey but had to learn Java for school and eventually work only wanted Java.

Quote Originally Posted by Merrick ap'Milandra View Post
    I despise java for the time being. If they get their shit together, I might be happy with the lack of Oracle involvement, but that's up to the Open folks and them cleaning up ages and platforms of mess.
    Curious why you hate it.
    I thought I did too, but have had to admit I now think in C/Java equally.
    We download a JDK/JRE pair so that Oracle can't mess with our dev/target versions (man do they try.)

Did a year long project in javascript which I presumed I hated too but learned to enjoy, but always suspicious and cautious.

My (somewhat limited) experience leaves me feeling that any of the ALGOL style languages are mostly interchangeable.

if you are bored, go do some LISP to force yourself to think another way?

From what i understand, pretty much everything is java these days, especially when it is app related.

I keep meaning to sit down and learn it, but i am too easily distracted :-/

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Mircadius View Post
    Curious why you hate it.
    Very little compatibility between versions.