Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Elections have consequences

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Re: Elections have consequences

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    So serious question though, What grounds would the backwards states have to challenge Roe v Wade on? Going to the SCOTUS means they would have to find some place that previous ruling violated the constitution wouldn't they?
    It's simple:

* Pass a law banning abortion in your state.

* It goes all the way to SCOTUS

* SCOTUS says, "Hey, we got Roe v. Wade wrong in 1973." (Remember: SCOTUS precedents are overturned every year)

* Pro-life crowd celebrates.

No prison can hold me!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    I know everyone on both sides think this will be the end of RvW. I am not so sure. While there are justices who wouldn't have made the RvW decision, are there five that actively want to over turn it? Maybe, maybe not.
    Uhh, no. Most everyone in the dreaded "alt-right" knows this isn't going to change RvW and doesn't give a shit. That is just fear mongering from the Ds.
    ------------------------------------------
    I *AM* the Chinpokomon master!

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by PPatty View Post
    It's simple:

* Pass a law banning abortion in your state.

* It goes all the way to SCOTUS

* SCOTUS says, "Hey, we got Roe v. Wade wrong in 1973." (Remember: SCOTUS precedents are overturned every year)

* Pro-life crowd celebrates.
    Yup. Remember, the SCOTUS overturned over a century of precedent with Citizen's United.

Elder Arcanist

In other news, out here in midwest land I'm starting to hear a lot of grumbling about crashing crop values. A lot of farmers are starting to sweat about their prospects this fall. I wish I could feel sorry for them, but they can't say they weren't warned about this. It sucks for everyone but they made their bed by being conned so easily and voting for an asswipe to be President.

Forum Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by Schezar View Post
    Uhh, no. Most everyone in the dreaded "alt-right" knows this isn't going to change RvW and doesn't give a shit. That is just fear mongering from the Ds.
    You honestly believe this, don't you? But then, you think Trump is doing a fine job, so I suppose that makes sense.

Sometimes I wish I could live on your planet.
    The more I learn the more I realize I have yet to learn.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Arinath View Post
    You honestly believe this, don't you? But then, you think Trump is doing a fine job, so I suppose that makes sense.

Sometimes I wish I could live on your planet.
    There are only three things Trump gives a shit about with this pick: They must favor businesses over people in all decisions (because GOP), they must overturn Roe v. Wade (not because he believes in it but he knows that will piss Democrats off and he gets off on it), and he must rule in his favor whenever the inevitable court cases against him reach the Supreme Court. That third one is the single most important one.

I'll put my tin foil hat on and say that Trump forced him out (by bringing up the connections of his son to the Deutsch bank). Why would he do this? He needs to stuff the court with as many favorable votes as possible before the court cases get there.

Forum Sorcerer

Its simply mind boggling to me that a president that won with a minority of the popular vote and that is currently under investigation for basically stealing the presidency is getting to appoint a SECOND supreme court justice that will sway critical rights cases for the next 25-30 years. This of course after appointing Gorsuch to the stolen seat. A man with an elementary grade speaking level that I wouldn't trust to run a corner grocery store is setting the civil and economic policy for this country. I still wake up some days hoping it is all a bad dream.

My America no longer exists. And the system is rigged so badly in favor of the bad guys it will be incredibly hard to regain any semblance of control, sanity, and morality. If and when it does happen the damage that will have to be repaired will be astronomical. I am truly frightened of what this country will look like in a decade.

Please vote in November, and urge everyone who cares about the USA to vote as well. Apathy is no longer acceptable.
    Last edited by Arinath; July 10th, 2018 at 04:59 PM.

Buckeye Wizard

Its simply mind boggling to me that a president that won with a minority of the popular vote and that is currently under investigation for basically stealing the presidency is getting to appoint a SECOND supreme court justice that will sway critical rights cases for the next 25-30 years. This of course after appointing Gorsuch to the stolen seat. A man with an elementary grade speaking level that I wouldn't trust to run a corner grocery store is setting the civil and economic policy for this country. I still wake up some days hoping it is all a bad dream.
    QFT
    Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Its simply mind boggling to me that a president that won with a minority of the popular vote and that is currently under investigation for basically stealing the presidency is getting to appoint a SECOND supreme court justice
    That comes close to describing two of the last three predecessors of Trump: Clinton was under investigation, Bush the Younger stole an election, both gained the presidency with a minority of the popular vote, both appointed two justices.

Forum Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by PPatty View Post
    That comes close to describing two of the last three predecessors of Trump: Clinton was under investigation, Bush the Younger stole an election, both gained the presidency with a minority of the popular vote, both appointed two justices.
    I am sure......wait. *Looks at who replied* Nevermind.

You PC fucks are getting what you deserve.

Forum Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    You PC fucks are getting what you deserve.
    Don't you mean cucks? For God's sake man use the agreed upon words!

Forum Arcanist

Don't you mean cucks? For God's sake man use the agreed upon words!
    And pronouns!

No prison can hold me!

Quote Originally Posted by VariaVespasa View Post
    And pronouns!
    We've got 57 genders and nothing's on.
    ------------------------------------------
    I *AM* the Chinpokomon master!