Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Results 161 to 174 of 174

Thread: Elections have consequences

  1. #161
    Ellsworth M. Toohey
    PPatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    30,856

    Re: Elections have consequences

    Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    So serious question though, What grounds would the backwards states have to challenge Roe v Wade on? Going to the SCOTUS means they would have to find some place that previous ruling violated the constitution wouldn't they?
    It's simple:

    * Pass a law banning abortion in your state.

    * It goes all the way to SCOTUS

    * SCOTUS says, "Hey, we got Roe v. Wade wrong in 1973." (Remember: SCOTUS precedents are overturned every year)

    * Pro-life crowd celebrates.

  2. #162
    No prison can hold me!
    Schezar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10,304

    Re: Elections have consequences

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    I know everyone on both sides think this will be the end of RvW. I am not so sure. While there are justices who wouldn't have made the RvW decision, are there five that actively want to over turn it? Maybe, maybe not.
    Uhh, no. Most everyone in the dreaded "alt-right" knows this isn't going to change RvW and doesn't give a shit. That is just fear mongering from the Ds.
    ------------------------------------------
    I *AM* the Chinpokomon master!

  3. #163
    Elder Arcanist
    Dramadon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,483

    Re: Elections have consequences

    Quote Originally Posted by PPatty View Post
    It's simple:

    * Pass a law banning abortion in your state.

    * It goes all the way to SCOTUS

    * SCOTUS says, "Hey, we got Roe v. Wade wrong in 1973." (Remember: SCOTUS precedents are overturned every year)

    * Pro-life crowd celebrates.
    Yup. Remember, the SCOTUS overturned over a century of precedent with Citizen's United.

  4. #164
    Elder Arcanist
    Dramadon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,483

    Re: Elections have consequences

    In other news, out here in midwest land I'm starting to hear a lot of grumbling about crashing crop values. A lot of farmers are starting to sweat about their prospects this fall. I wish I could feel sorry for them, but they can't say they weren't warned about this. It sucks for everyone but they made their bed by being conned so easily and voting for an asswipe to be President.

  5. #165
    Forum Sorcerer

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    824

    Re: Elections have consequences

    Quote Originally Posted by Schezar View Post
    Uhh, no. Most everyone in the dreaded "alt-right" knows this isn't going to change RvW and doesn't give a shit. That is just fear mongering from the Ds.
    You honestly believe this, don't you? But then, you think Trump is doing a fine job, so I suppose that makes sense.

    Sometimes I wish I could live on your planet.
    The more I learn the more I realize I have yet to learn.

  6. #166
    Elder Arcanist
    Dramadon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,483

    Re: Elections have consequences

    Quote Originally Posted by Arinath View Post
    You honestly believe this, don't you? But then, you think Trump is doing a fine job, so I suppose that makes sense.

    Sometimes I wish I could live on your planet.
    There are only three things Trump gives a shit about with this pick: They must favor businesses over people in all decisions (because GOP), they must overturn Roe v. Wade (not because he believes in it but he knows that will piss Democrats off and he gets off on it), and he must rule in his favor whenever the inevitable court cases against him reach the Supreme Court. That third one is the single most important one.

    I'll put my tin foil hat on and say that Trump forced him out (by bringing up the connections of his son to the Deutsch bank). Why would he do this? He needs to stuff the court with as many favorable votes as possible before the court cases get there.

  7. #167
    Forum Sorcerer

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    824

    Re: Elections have consequences

    Its simply mind boggling to me that a president that won with a minority of the popular vote and that is currently under investigation for basically stealing the presidency is getting to appoint a SECOND supreme court justice that will sway critical rights cases for the next 25-30 years. This of course after appointing Gorsuch to the stolen seat. A man with an elementary grade speaking level that I wouldn't trust to run a corner grocery store is setting the civil and economic policy for this country. I still wake up some days hoping it is all a bad dream.

    My America no longer exists. And the system is rigged so badly in favor of the bad guys it will be incredibly hard to regain any semblance of control, sanity, and morality. If and when it does happen the damage that will have to be repaired will be astronomical. I am truly frightened of what this country will look like in a decade.

    Please vote in November, and urge everyone who cares about the USA to vote as well. Apathy is no longer acceptable.
    Last edited by Arinath; July 10th, 2018 at 04:59 PM.
    The more I learn the more I realize I have yet to learn.

  8. #168
    Buckeye Wizard
    Nerkahia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,224

    Re: Elections have consequences

    Quote Originally Posted by Arinath View Post
    Its simply mind boggling to me that a president that won with a minority of the popular vote and that is currently under investigation for basically stealing the presidency is getting to appoint a SECOND supreme court justice that will sway critical rights cases for the next 25-30 years. This of course after appointing Gorsuch to the stolen seat. A man with an elementary grade speaking level that I wouldn't trust to run a corner grocery store is setting the civil and economic policy for this country. I still wake up some days hoping it is all a bad dream.
    QFT
    Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

    "Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

  9. #169
    Ellsworth M. Toohey
    PPatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    30,856

    Re: Elections have consequences

    Quote Originally Posted by Arinath View Post
    Its simply mind boggling to me that a president that won with a minority of the popular vote and that is currently under investigation for basically stealing the presidency is getting to appoint a SECOND supreme court justice
    That comes close to describing two of the last three predecessors of Trump: Clinton was under investigation, Bush the Younger stole an election, both gained the presidency with a minority of the popular vote, both appointed two justices.


  10. #170
    Forum Sorcerer

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    824

    Re: Elections have consequences

    Quote Originally Posted by PPatty View Post
    That comes close to describing two of the last three predecessors of Trump: Clinton was under investigation, Bush the Younger stole an election, both gained the presidency with a minority of the popular vote, both appointed two justices.
    I am sure......wait. *Looks at who replied* Nevermind.
    The more I learn the more I realize I have yet to learn.

  11. #171

    Re: Elections have consequences

    You PC fucks are getting what you deserve.

  12. #172
    Forum Sorcerer

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    824

    Re: Elections have consequences

    Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    You PC fucks are getting what you deserve.
    Don't you mean cucks? For God's sake man use the agreed upon words!
    The more I learn the more I realize I have yet to learn.

  13. #173
    Forum Arcanist

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,326

    Re: Elections have consequences

    Quote Originally Posted by Arinath View Post
    Don't you mean cucks? For God's sake man use the agreed upon words!
    And pronouns!

  14. #174
    No prison can hold me!
    Schezar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10,304

    Re: Elections have consequences

    Quote Originally Posted by VariaVespasa View Post
    And pronouns!
    We've got 57 genders and nothing's on.
    ------------------------------------------
    I *AM* the Chinpokomon master!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •