Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E3 Thread 2018

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Re: E3 Thread 2018

Ubisoft

Ubisoft's press conferences have garnered a reputation for being silly, and unlike the crowd at Bethesda, the crowd here seemed to be really into it. The show started with an elaborate Just Dance sequence which was fairly fun despite being overly long. They don't even show or talk about the game anymore, each year just seems like an excuse to try and one-up what they did the year before. It's kind of amusing.

Anyway, Ubisoft didn't deliver smashing surprise announcements like they have previous years, but overall what they did show was pretty solid. They showed possibly the most well rounded package of games for anyone outside of Microsoft and they go deeper into said games than anyone other than Sony. There were no major pacing issues either, so despite weird mic issues I think this was probably the best overall show at E3.

Beyond Good and Evil 2: I'm surprised they showed this again so soon with how obviously early it was last year. They showed a little bit of early gameplay off (linked here) and a kind of amazing story trailer (linked below). They also announced they are partnering with Joseph Gordon Levitt's amateur artist company, allowing fans to possibly create content for the game and supposedly get paid for it.

Trials Rising: I'm not a trials aficionado so I couldn't tell you what's new about this. They do emphasize how much work they are putting into balance and playability.

The Division 2: They share a fairly significant amount of information for this game. The big news is perhaps that you only pick a specialization once you finish the main campaign. I was puzzled at this until they went on to state that they are adding 8 person raids as end game content. Note that the Microsoft demonstration is different, so if you are interested you should watch both.

Mario Rabbids: Donkey Kong Adventure: Exactly what it sounds like. DLC for the strategy game from last year, featuring Donkey Kong. They had the composer perform with a band while gameplay footage is being shown, which works a lot better than simply doing a music performance by itself (looking at you Rage and Sony).

Skull and Bones: They had another elaborate CG trailer as well as a ton of gameplay. This is the naval combat pirate game announcred previously.

Transference: Elijah Wood comes out on stage to share a kind of simple story trailer for this game. If you don't remember, this is a psychological horror VR title announced previously.

Starlink: Battle for Atlas: Another look at a game announced last year. This is the Toys-to-Life game that has you putting a toy model of your ship on your controller as you play, clearly aimed at kids. The big reveal this year is that Ubisoft is continuing their partnership with Nintendo and that Star Fox is not only going to be playable within this game, but that you can buy an Arwing toy to go along with it. A fairly big deal, as previously people were writing this game off (for obvious reasons).

For Honor: Marching Fire: A cinematic trailer announcing a new faction: Ancient China. They also show gameplay of a new mode.

The Crew 2: This is out soon and I guess they were reminding us. Nothing too remarkable here, unless you want to try out their open beta.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey: I suppose this was supposed to be their big surprise. They seemed to be pretty disappointed that it leaked beforehand. Anyway this game actually takes place before Origins and revolves around Ancient Greece. You can play as a man or as a woman and the world/setting revolves around a conflict between Athens and Sparta. The main character comes from Spartan heritage (I believe) but is a mercenary for reasons alluded to in the story trailer.

Please note that the following are the cinematic trailers, while for the most part all of the links above are the gameplay demonstrations.

Beyond Good and Evil 2

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

The Division 2

Skull and Bones

For Honor: Marching Fire

Donkey Kong Adventure

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Sony

Sony did almost the exact opposite of what Microsoft did this year. Instead of having quick looks at an unreasonable number of games, they had longer looks at only a few. They also tried to produce their show a little differently this year and their show ended up being worse for it. Bad enough for Ubisoft (or Microsoft, debatable) to edge them out for best show despite arguably having better games.

They tried to make it more entertaining for people at the event, but by doing so they made it infinitely more frustrating for anyone watching online. They shuffled guests between venues for different games and played live music themed to the game before showing said game. Thankfully they only did this a couple times, but after having nothing but an awkward pre/post-show style desk interview to watch in the meantime only to then have another three minutes of a guy blowing on a pipe... well it wasn't great.

Anyway, no one who didn't suffer through it has to watch it, so let's get on to the good: They went deep into four of their upcoming games and showed quick looks at five others.

The Last of Us Part 2: I don't know if I'm biased, but I think this was easily the best trailer and demonstration of anything in the show. Nothing else even comes close.

Ghost of Tsushima: Previously announced at PSX with a story trailer, they show gameplay of this for the first time. It's absolutely stunning, and the gameplay seems to have a very deliberate pace and style.

Death Stranding: It's clearly still early, but we get our first glimpses of gameplay with some more story teases added in. Most of it is just environmental traversal, but it's still interesting. No combat is shown, and you only get a brief glimpse at a gun, but Kojima has clarified in post-show interviews that while violence is going to be an option, he doesn't recommend it. They also announced Lindsey Wagner (Bionic Woman) as part of the cast.

Spiderman: Coming out in a few months, they show a lengthy gameplay segment and end with a cliffhanger.

Control: A new game from Remedy (Quantum Break, Alan Wake). Their style is very distinctive. Appears to be an atmospheric third person shooter where the main character has telekinetic abilities.

Resident Evil 2: Finally. And what an amazing way to reveal it. The graphics are kind of insane for a remake, which possibly explains what has been taking them so long.

Kingdom Hearts 3:
    Another version of the trailer present at every conference. This time they reveal the Pirates of the Caribbean world.

Nioh 2: A teaser trailer announcement. Doesn't show a lot, other than what is perhaps the central theme. For anyone who doesn't know, this is basically a Dark Souls style game leaning heavily on Japanese mythology and weapons.

Trover Saves the Universe: Bad. Looks bad. Why was this shown? To make everything else seem better? Makes me not want to try/watch Rick and Morty.

Nearly everything from the above is worth watching, but since this last section is supposed to be highlights I'm only re-posting a few of them:

The Last of Us Part 2

Ghost of Tsushima

Resident Evil 2

Last edited by Wool; June 14th, 2018 at 12:45 PM.

No prison can hold me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wool View Post
    Dragon Quest 11

Moral of the story? Stick your sword in everything.
    ------------------------------------------
    I *AM* the Chinpokomon master!

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Nintendo

I had wondered if Nintendo planned well enough ahead to maintain their momentum, and after seeing their Direct this year I'm feeling like they lost some of it. This was a very light presentation with very few things shown or announced. The big disappointment is that Metroid wasn't present in any form, and depending on your feelings on Smash Brothers and Mario Party there wasn't a whole lot to get excited about this year.

Let's get right into it:

Super Smash Brothers Ultimate: They spent 25 minutes on this game, mostly showing small tweaks to specific characters. Honestly as popular as it is, this is way more than it deserved as an E3 presentation. That's the kind of depth you normally get out of Directs focused primarily on that game before release. Anyway the question going in was whether this is a port of the Wii U version or an all new game. The answer is something in-between. What they are actually doing is making a version with all of the characters and content from every Smash game. My opinions are mixed. It's definitely good to get a complete package, even though it isn't as exciting as a new product.

Super Mario Party: Relevance levels might be low for most of us, but I think this is a fairly large announcement. These games are popular with party game types, and they are extremely inventive in how they utilize the hardware.

Fire Emblem Three Houses: This single-handledly saved the presentation for me; I was so glad to finally see this. They show us a little bit of the backstory/setting and a glimpse at gameplay. This is one of those franchises where it hasn't been clear if they are going to go with graphics and design based on the portable half of the series or the console half, and we can now clearly see that it's designed as more of a console game (though the graphics and environments still aren't amazing).

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna The Golden Country: This is also a pretty fantastic announcement, for fans of jrpgs at least. This is a stand-alone expansion to the game released last year, and from what I've heard it is a prequel.

Demon X Machina: A new game announcement. A cel-shaded mech game that looks a lot like From Software's old Armored Core games, which I guess is appropriate because it's apparently being made by one of the original designers of those games.

Other Stuff:

As expected, they showed and talked about the Pokemon game they announced a couple weeks ago and I posted at the beginning of the thread. As far as I'm aware the only new information is that the pokeball controller accessory comes with Mew already inside.

They also announced Overcooked 2, a very popular multiplayer cooking game, as well as Hollow Knight, Fortnite, and Killer Queen Black on Switch. These are all fairly significant, even if I don't happen to feel like posting their trailers.

Super Mario Party

Fire Emblem Three Houses

Smash Brothers Ultimate Character Reveal

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Finally, two more relatively minor shows. The PC Gaming Show and Devolver's Big Fancy Press Conference.

Devolver

They did the same thing they did last year, and spent more time making fun of E3, big video game press conferences, the industry in general and the audience (us) themselves. It's the sort of thing most people will probably either love or hate, depending on sense of humor. If you have twenty minutes to kill to watch something really stupid, you can watch it here.

During this time, they only actually showed three games. They are:

Scum: A multiplayer survival game that sort of seems modeled after a more brutal Hunger Games.

My Friend Pedro: A 2D action shooter ballet game. I guess?

Metal Wolf Chaos XD: Metal Wolf Chaos is a bit of an infamous cult-classic that was only ever released in Japan. Popularized by streamers and Youtubers due to it's awful voice acting and stupid plot, it's now finally being made available to people in the west.

PC Gaming Show

I feel like this show has hit it's stride. It was paced and produced extremely well this year, and Day9 continues to be the best host at E3. Your enjoyment and interest will come solely in your patience/interest in lower budget games with poor to average mainstream visibility.

I'm not going to list all of them, because there were a lot, but here are a few highlights:

Satisfactory: No Man's Sky meets Factorio. First person (and multiplayer?) resource game where you use said resources to construct massive factories.

Star Control Origins: A science fiction space exploration game with action rpg elements. I'm a little nervous/skeptical, but this has the most potential as something I personally would enjoy.

Maneater: Now I've seen a fair number of "play as the shark games", but this one looks the least like hot garbage/Youtube bait.

Stormland: An open world VR game being made by Insomniac.

Sable: Another tease at an open world game. The most notable thing about this is the extremely striking art style.

Realm Royale: This game is actually already out. It's basically Fortnite except with rpg classes instead of building.

Rapture Rejects: A silly isometic battle royale based on Cyanide and Happiness.

Hitman 2: Announced a couple of weeks ago, but I waited to see more before posting a trailer. At the PC Gaming Show they showed off the new Miami location/scenario.

Hitman 2

Rapture Rejects

Sable

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

That's it from me for now. I'll probably post a few more times over the next week as I watch/listen to hands on impressions and whatever information/trailers not shown during the press conferences, but I don't plan on doing any more ridiculous dumps of information everyone else already knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mileron View Post
    I haven't purchased a new console in a timely manner since the Wii debuted (even my 360 purchase was in late 2011 - a full six years after its release).

Kingdom Hearts 3 and Forza Horizon 4 are the only "hey this might be a swaying point" to get me into the XBox1 arena.

I still haven't bought a Switch. The only game that tickles my fancy at the moment from the new list is Smash - and that even not so much because it feels like an "also ran" with how many "returning champions" there are. There doesn't seem to be anyone new.
    Right now there are two new characters in Smash and one new mirror (they call them echo) character. It's possible they might announce a couple more, but the emphasize definitely seems to be on returning characters.

As for the need to get a new console, it hasn't been announced for PC (to the best of my knowledge), but considering FF15 came to PC I wouldn't be surprised if Kingdom Hearts 3 eventually did as well. And you can definitely play Forza on PC, assuming you have Windows 10 of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Schezar View Post
    Moral of the story? Stick your sword in everything.
    Saucy.
    Last edited by Wool; June 14th, 2018 at 02:29 PM.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Didn't watch any cool videos but I listened to a lot of impressions. Here are some of the standouts, some of which you may have already heard:

Cyberpunk 2077 - By all accounts this seems to be "game of the show". Behind closed doors they showed off a 50 minute presentation, which we will probably never see, that seemingly wowed everyone attending. The main character's name is V and can be a man or a woman. You can customize them in the character creator, along with background information such as "key life event" and "childhood hero". You don't pick a class right away.

Fans not attending were briefly upset upon hearing that the game is entirely first person, not third person like The Witcher, but those that have seen the demo have come away saying that you see plenty of your character in cutscenes. The one negative I can recall hearing was that the combat seemed average, but this was quickly forgotten as people go on to gush about the world itself.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Some fans were disappointed upon hearing that this was not a Bloodborne sequel. In fact, it's not a Dark Souls style game at all. It's apparently a pure action game with the rpg elements stripped out. You play a specific character following a specific story with predefined weapons and movesets. One interesting tidbit is that there is apparently a self-rez mechanic. You can use it to take enemies by surprise. It's unclear to me what you have to do to earn that rez.

Spiderman - Cyberpunk is the demo I heard the most praise from, Spiderman is the playable game that I've heard the most praise from. The controls take a little getting used to, but feel really good once you do. The combat is harder than expected, so you can't just button mash, but you have a lot of tools to choose from. From the way people talk I expect this to be one of the best games released this year.

Anthem - There isn't a lot to say about this, as people attending were simply given a strictly controlled playable demo of what we saw in the trailer. The main reason why I bring this game up is because impressions of those that have played it are surprisingly positive. It apparently feels good, with the jetpack mechanics/controls themselves getting the most praise.

Control - I figured this would be an easy thing to overlook, but I've heard a lot of vaguely positive things about it. The main character is the newly appointed director of the Federal Bureau of Control, an agency devoted to paranormal shenanigans. The director is the only person authorized to use a powerful artifact that changes form based on the wielder, and in it's current incarnation is a service weapon. I didn't hear anything specific about it, only that it felt good.

The game apparently has a metroidvania structure. You gain abilities and perform rituals that open up new areas, or let you return to unexplored areas in previous ones. This game sounds like it will scratch an itch for anyone who likes modern witchcraft or alternate dimension type stuff.

Days Gone - Not shown at the media event but was present and playable. Reception seems to be mixed. Weapons don't feel good, general gameplay is described as okay, but some people had fun with the open environment.

Smash Brothers Ultimate - I didn't hear anything specifically interesting about this, but I was surprised at just how many fans seem positive about it. Nintendo impressions in general are pretty negative though.