Thread: Sana Amanat vows to media masters: Marvel will fix the 'boy' problem

Elder Arcanist

Sana Amanat vows to media masters: Marvel will fix the 'boy' problem

Sana Amanat vows to media masters: Marvel will fix the 'boy' problem

Marvel has a "boy" problem that needs to be fixed if one listens to Sana Amanat, the company's Vice President of Content & Character Development. Her answer: Marvel needs to focus on becoming a "lifestyle" brand. Similarly, people should look at the red logo and think "entertainment" — as opposed to, you know, the home of modern mythological heroes, sound storytelling, and beautiful art.

Re: Sana Amanat vows to media masters: Marvel will fix the 'boy' problem

I was lost at "Lifestyle brand", I am sorry there is only so far you can take a brand like this. Trying to become a "lifestyle brand" will in the long run drive away fans, Marvel means super hero moves and explosions with generally enough story to support it and that is what brings in billions every summer. Weather execs want to believe it or not the driving force is heros beating the snot out of bad guys and shit blowing up.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Ellsworth M. Toohey

You skeptics make it sound as if "lifestyle brand" and "the superhero stuff that I like" can't co-exist.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

She must come from marketing. "Lifestyle brands" is a bullshit buzzword that those types are obsessed with. I have it on good authority that higher level marketing classes shove tubes up your ass and blow hot air up it. The longer you last, the better job offers you get after you graduate.

The number of bad ideas to come out of marketing wouldn't be so outstanding if they weren't all repeatedly the same dumb ideas. It's like cult levels of stupid. It's like if a facehugger gave you ideas instead of weird alien chest bursting babies.

Because just because I like something I want my entire life to revolve around it. Like when they thought people who played video games needed specially branded "gamer fuel" snacks instead of the same snacks everyone else was already eating.
    Last edited by Wool; June 4th, 2018 at 11:45 PM.

Mangina at large.

Oh boy, Douglas Ernst, a Comicsgater! What is Comicsgate, you ask? Read on:

https://www.inverse.com/article/4113...l-dc-gamergate

And just in case there's any question about Ernst being one of them (assuming you didn't watch his video where he complains about Peter Parker drinking soy lattes, because soy makes you low-T don't you know):

Quote Originally Posted by Description from his April 28 video
    If you don't define yourself, then you critics will do it for you. That holds true for the Comicsgate community. After months of and months of having industry insiders try to define everyone as [insert political insult of the day here], I will now tell the story of Comicsgater X. Feel free to share it with Comicsgate critics as needed.
    But hey, who am I to argue with a guy that gets three thousand views per video? He's a mass market phenomenon!

Here's an article on the Sana Amanat interview:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/06...-this-morning/

Now, I'm not a comics person, so feel free to crap all over my second-hand opinion. But it doesn't feel like "invasion of the SJWs!!1!1" is the problem here, save to some supremely insecure men. Marvel wants to be an entertainment company for everybody, as well they should be, and not just be the sort of stuff young boys like, then outgrow. The feeling I get is the comics are having problems because of two basic things: price point (duh), and endless retcons.

It doesn't matter whether your favourite superhero is turned into a Muslim lesbian vegan or another white guy with a slightly different name, it's annoying as hell to have everything you like about a character dumped so the authors don't have to work as hard coming up with new stories. You can almost feel the "must... sell... more... books" aspect of it, and when you're the person a comic company is trying to pry more money from, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. The conservatives that are crying about this need to get back to basics and start hitting these companies for their "Death of Superheroman #237"-style of producing. Stop the reboots, you stop the change you hate so much.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Delores Mulva View Post
    The conservatives that are crying about this need to get back to basics and start hitting these companies for their "Death of Superheroman #237"-style of producing. Stop the reboots, you stop the change you hate so much.
    That reminds me, the latest animated 'Death of Superman' reboot is coming out soon...

Mangina at large.

Of course it is. I was about to make an "after that, a multiverse crossover" joke, so I looked up DC's upcoming comics. The huge finale to the Dark Nights: Metal series is coming out, an entire series about a multiverse that exists "beneath" the already-established DC multiverse. Multiverses on multiverses, welcome to comics.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Marvel wants to be an entertainment company for everybody, as well they should be, and not just be the sort of stuff young boys like, then outgrow. The feeling I get is the comics are having problems because of two basic things: price point (duh), and endless retcons.
    Aren't they already this? From the perspective of someone who doesn't read the comics, Marvel has become bigger than said comics. If comics sales specifically are what they are worried about then that is another problem altogether.

P.S. I got set off by the lifestyle brand phrase and didn't actually watch the original video. The gender wars stuff was secondary for me, though I think you are right. What she said seems fairly innocuous and that guy is over-reacting.

Mangina at large.

Quote Originally Posted by Wool
    From the perspective of someone who doesn't read the comics, Marvel has become bigger than said comics.
    Go to the toy section of your local department store (if there is still a local department store). See how there's a pink aisle for girls, and the superhero aisle for boys? Marvel wants their stuff in both aisles. That's how I read her comments, anyways. She wants the toys to be played with by boys and girls, she wants boys and girls to read the comics, and she wants the movies to be respectable and not just a geeky guy thing. I'd say she's fairly close on the movies, she's made progress on the comics (although I think it's more to do with the movies/TV shows than the inclusive changes to the comics), and there's a long ways to go on the toys.

Buckeye Wizard

The feeling I get is the comics are having problems because of two basic things: price point (duh), and endless retcons.
    I own about 1,800 comics and I'd say your amateur criticism pretty much hits the nail on the head.

I don't own a comic newer than 1985 though so my opinion may be moot as well.

Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

Quote Originally Posted by Nerkahia View Post
    I own about 1,800 comics and I'd say your amateur criticism pretty much hits the nail on the head.

I don't own a comic newer than 1985 though so my opinion may be moot as well.

This is also why the MCU had to be its own 'Verse. People not comic book fans needed a firm footing for the characters since well if they went for the comic books they would need google searches and wikis to tell them which retcon timeline they need to read about.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Ackar View Post
    That reminds me, the latest animated 'Death of Superman' reboot is coming out soon...

About toy/merchandise sales:

I've watched a lot of (TV show, Cartoon, Comic) post mortem style videos and the one thing that kills the most is poor merchandise sales. So many cartoons have died in their prime due to bad toy sales, even though they had large viewer numbers.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

About toy/merchandise sales:

I've watched a lot of (TV show, Cartoon, Comic) post mortem style videos and the one thing that kills the most is poor merchandise sales. So many cartoons have died in their prime due to bad toy sales, even though they had large viewer numbers.
    Bad toys lead to bad toy sales.

Some of the toys they have nowadays for some of these IPs are just... shockingly bad.

Heck, I look at some of the Transformers they sell now and think, "that's not a Transformer, that's a Gobot Pog that has wheels."

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by Mileron View Post

Some of the toys they have nowadays for some of these IPs are just... shockingly bad.

Heck, I look at some of the Transformers they sell now and think, "that's not a Transformer, that's a Gobot Pog that has wheels."

Elder Arcanist

Marvel just released a movie that made over $2 billion dollars. I think their formula is working pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mileron View Post

Part of that is poor control of IP at times, Or greed. Either one can lead to sticker slapping where they put the name on everything. Including merch/toys that have nothing to do with the franchise at all.
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist

More Lifestyle brand fun...

"Lifestyle Brand" Marvel Has Lost ALL Interest In Being A Comic Book Company

Ellsworth M. Toohey

"Lifestyle Brand" Marvel Has Lost ALL Interest In Being A Comic Book Company
    This is new? Marvel's various corporate parents have been treating the comic books as mainly an idea-generation factory for other platforms and products for the past 20 years, and understandably so -- the core comic-book audience has been shrinking (albeit with a few spikes here and there) since the early 1950s.
    Last edited by PPatty; September 27th, 2018 at 10:09 PM.

Mangina at large.

Jeremy, sigh. One good thing about this video: it shows him scrolling down through the comments of a Youtube video. Why is that good? Because we get to see all the videos that are recommended to Jeremy based on his past viewing! Usually the recommendations are slanted towards whatever you're watching at the time, so I'd expect to see Marvel- and comic-related stuff. But the 25 minute ASMR video with the hot chick, which (according to the bar at the bottom indicating prior views) he's watched all the way through at least once? That's all him. Video description? "A whispered and soft spoken role play where every part of you (almost ) is measured for an outfit for a Scottish wedding. Lots of personal attention and ear to ear sounds for relaxation and sleep."

Things I've learned: one, there's apparently a lot of Youtube videos by ASMR artists who roleplay taking measurements. Two, way, waaaaay too much about what turns on Jeremy Hambly.