Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fallout 76

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Re: Fallout 76

I've been messing around in WoW again lately, and the way they do servers now is interesting. While you do still select a home server, while you are playing the game you constantly get intermingled and instanced with people from other servers while out in the world. I notice when it happens because either someone that was standing next to me suddenly disappears, or the same happens to the nodes/mobs around me.

So I'm imagining their servers acting like that (without the home server). I'm imagining you being paired with other people and then when whatever interaction you had is complete you never see each other again. It would make the world feel alive without having hundreds of players around you at any particular time. Journey did a similar thing years ago.

Mangina at large.

It can't work that way. In the video, we saw players activating a nuke, sending it to a point far away from the silo, then going to the spot they nuked to collect resources. If they had a semi-instanced world server the way WoW does, you'd go to the spot you nuked, but you could end up in the wrong instance and be somewhere that wasn't nuked. It also eliminates the primary reason for firing a nuke: visiting hell on someone you know of who lives there. Between that and having to constantly send players to the correct instance whenever they're in the same zone as their house, I can't see them using that solution, at least not at launch (or at least not for zones that can contain permanent player-made structures).

My guess is the anti-griefing code will be much simpler: no chained nukes in a spot, stacking bonus to damage dealt / reduction to damage taken from a given set of players each time you die to them, that sort of thing. Combine that with a limited ability to do permanent damage (so, as examples, knocking someone's house down only knocks it down for a short time, you can't loot items from downed opponents but rather get random loot, etc.), and you're good to go.

All hat & no cattle

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    Every company with ffa pvp claims they will reduce griefing and it always fails. Ultimate solution is to have an offline or private mode.
    Exactly.
    Even though I'd be interested in this new Fallout game, I'm too old/jaded to waste any of my time in games that has the least chance of griefing. There are simply too many other good games and too many non-gaming things I'd rather spend time on, than suffer any amount of griefing in a game.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Finkelstein View Post
    Even though I'd be interested in this new Fallout game, I'm too old/jaded to waste any of my time in games that has the least chance of griefing. There are simply too many other good games and too many non-gaming things I'd rather spend time on, than suffer any amount of griefing in a game.
    Talking with a coworker and this is our point of view exactly.

We're good enough at screwing up our own games - we don't need other people doing it for us.

Forum Arcanist

Sorta surprised this hasnt been linked here yet, so here ya go- more info on how theyre handling stuff-
    https://imgur.com/gallery/Lxmg5Gj#q2biSFt

And here's a paste of it, but its gotta be a lot easier to read on the linked site.

Some info on Fallout 76 from interviews
    by WhoHereLikesButts via Android2 days

Here is some information that Todd Howard and Bethesda have shared through multiple interviews.

1. There wont be large clans and such. You can only play up to 4-player co-op.

2. The servers will only have a couple dozen people on a map that is 4 times the size of Fallout 4, not hundreds of people. So you won't run across a player every couple minutes of play. (Unless you all choose to run straight to a missile silo.)

3. Todd has said it will be difficult to get all the pieces to a nuclear launch code. So Nukes will not be going off 24/7.

3a. Which I don't think he has really explained how it will be difficult. But I think it would be cool if you and your friends couldn't get all the code pieces to drop and had to cooperate with randoms to get the rest and decide where to drop it. (Especially since you wont drop loot when you die, so you couldn't just kill the player and take the piece for yourself.)

4. Nuking a location is meant to be a means to the End-game content. The location you nuke will be filled with High Level Enemies and High-End resources.

4a. The high-leveled enemies and rare resources and loot will vary depending on which of the many different regions on the map you decide to nuke.

4b. Radiation will still give stat buffs or debuffs depending on how much radiation damage you take. That you will be able to get rid of or keep if you decide too.

5. Once the radiation from the nuked location dissipates. (this is a video game after all, so the radiation wont last an extremely long time.) Todd has said you will be able to rebuild the structures in the nuked location.

6. Then for your player-built bases you build. You can pick it up all in one chunk and move it to any location on the map by saving it as a Blueprint.

7. And if your base is destroyed. You dont have to rebuild it from scratch, you will just walk up to each different piece and repair it.

8. Your player built bases are connected to your Account, so once you log off your base will disappear with you. And then reappear once you log back onto the game.

8a. Since there might be overlapping with someone else's base when you come back online. Your base won't spawn there. It will instead be packed up in your inventory to be place somewhere else of your choosing.

9. Todd Howard has said that if you die from another player. You won't drop any loot. So trading with players as merchants will be a viable gameplay mechanic.

--Todd Howard has said they are making sure griefing isn't a large problem in this game and so far he has been doing interviews on all these aspects on how griefing wont really do much harm to your own gameplay.

10. Killing other players will just reward you on some bottle caps and some xp. If you do want to try some occasional PvP.

11. Private Servers with Mod capability will be added to Fallout 76 at a later date. At launch you will have to play on a shared server with a couple dozen people because it is an Always Online Game.

12. Todd Howard has said that all players on the same server will be visible on the map to each other. (Not sure how I feel about this one.)

13. The story and Quests in the game will be given out by robotic NPCs, holotapes, magazines, and the Overseer of your Vault.

13a. Although you wont see the overseer, the overseer's quest will be given out though a terminal like an online Mission Board.

13b. There will be NO Human NPCs, any Human you see in game will be played by another Online Player.

14. A version of V.A.T.S will be in Fallout 76, but since its an Online game, there will be no slow-mo. You will be quickly selecting body parts in real-time.

15. You will still pick your S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats before you leave Vault 76. Which will affect game mechanics for you and your friends. For example when you do a Mission/Quest, Charisma will affect how many caps and items/materials you will get for completion.

16. Fallout 76 will get Free dlc and Updates.

16a. But those will be funded by cosmetic Microtransactions. Bethesda though, stressed that these microtransactions would be completely obtainable through gameplay for free.

17. The in-game map won't be on the pip-boy. You will be using a paper map and have Binoculars to scope out the areas ahead. (Someone told me this earlier and completely forgot to add it.)

----Will Edit in any other info I find out about how Bethesda will be handling Fallout 76. Also, if anyone else finds out more info, let me know.

Here are some of those Interviews:

https://youtu.be/XHmPb5nQHbU by Gamespot

https://youtu.be/CbJ9X496oeY by IGN

https://youtu.be/JEU34nnNgKE Also by IGN with other info

https://youtu.be/gi8PTAJ2Hjs This is a 40-min Documentary about the making of Fallout 76 that is filled with info on how it will play and answers many questions people have about the many different game mechanics that the game will have to offer.

FP EDIT: Thanks for helping me spread awareness to some others on how exactly this game plays out with its game mechanics. There are many confusions surrounding Fallout 76 at the moment and I want to make sure everyone knows the main parts of the game before they either buy it or dont buy it because of the confusion.

Also first time on Front Page.
    Woohoo \(^_^)/
    +

Mangina at large.

"We are going to limit griefing in our game. Oh, and we're going to give players the ability to see EVERY OTHER PLAYER on the minimap." I don't think they get how these two things don't go together.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

I think being able to see everyone on the map is bad for immersion too. It defeats the purpose of having players be the only people you might meet in a devastated world when those meetings can be controlled and predicted.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Elder Arcanist

Seems like a really good reason to just wait until they release private servers and catch it on sale.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Bethesda had a preview event of an early build for press. Here's a short video summarizing the game at this point:

My Takeaways:

- PVP is semi-consensual. Full damage is not enabled until both players shoot at each other. Otherwise, they only do chip damage. Could still be annoying if someone follows you around for 30 minutes making you (eventually) waste stimpaks, but it's better than getting ganked. I can also see people trying to bait pvp by standing near mobs someone else is engaging.

- As expected, VATS doesn't slow time, but it does still exist. In the video it is described as an auto-aim option, which I suppose makes sense.

- Perks system is completely redesigned. Uses card packs now. Sounds microtransaction-y to me so I googled it. They claim the card packs come from level ups and that you can't just purchase them with real money.

All hat & no cattle

Quote Originally Posted by Wool View Post
    - PVP is semi-consensual. Full damage is not enabled until both players shoot at each other. Otherwise, they only do chip damage. Could still be annoying if someone follows you around for 30 minutes making you (eventually) waste stimpaks, but it's better than getting ganked. I can also see people trying to bait pvp by standing near mobs someone else is engaging.
    Have they never played games where this sort of setup was easily exploited to grief PvE'ers?
    Why do developers continue to try and mix PvE and PvP, since it always ends up being used to grief people that doesn't want to participate? It's like they know that the full-PvP population is too small, so they make these kinds of setups to lure in PvE-fodder for the PvP'ers to play with.