Thread: DC Comics to take on Netflix with DC Universe

Elder Arcanist

DC Comics to take on Netflix with DC Universe

DC Comics to take on Netflix with DC Universe

Warner Bros. announced today that they will be releasing a standalone streaming service for all things DC comics. The DC Universe streaming network will feature original shows like Titans, Harley Quinn, Young Justice, and Swamp Thing. While Warner Bros. will not come out and say that this is a competition to Netflix, I think anyone will see that this is not only going to take on that, but Disney's unnamed streaming service as well.

Mangina at large.

Re: DC Comics to take on Netflix with DC Universe

How the hell can someone on Youtube - a platform for multiple people to put out content simultaneously without competing for the limited bandwidth available on, say, a TV channel - think that a DC streaming service is "competition" for Netflix? Are they serving the same content? If you subscribe to one, are you prohibited from subscribing to the other? It's like saying water parks are competition for restaurants because, hey, you only have so much money and so much time.

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by Delores Mulva View Post
    It's like saying water parks are competition for restaurants because, hey, you only have so much money and so much time.
    Water parks and restaurants are different user experiences. Watching video is watching video.

A better analogy: Does a new Japanese restaurant in town compete with the food court at the mall? (Maybe not, but there's a case to be made for it)

Mangina at large.

Quote Originally Posted by PPatty
    Watching video is watching video.
    So the superhero-themed content on a DC streaming service is in meaningful competition with the large majority of content on Netflix that isn't superhero-themed? Content matters. To go back to the original analogy, the restaurant offers food. The water park also has food, although the vast majority of what one would do there does not involve the food. These places are not in any sort of meaningful competition.

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

I am SO SICK AND TIRED of everyone thinking they need their OWN streaming service and then cutting out netflix.

Like, to the point where I won't watch their stuff on TV and won't buy physical copies when they swap over to that model. (And yes, I still buy physical copies of stuff that's on netflix when I like it (or digital if the option is there) because not everything stays on netflix forever.

I get why Amazon did it, it's incentive to subscribe to Prime, but everyone else needs to fuck right the hell off with that crap.
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by Merrick ap'Milandra View Post
    everyone else needs to fuck right the hell off with that crap.
    Not if they have exclusive content that enough people are willing to pay for. I'm not sure the DC Universe meets that criteria but I don't begrudge them the attempt.

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PPatty View Post
    Not if they have exclusive content that enough people are willing to pay for. I'm not sure the DC Universe meets that criteria but I don't begrudge them the attempt.
    Almost every streaming site I've subscribed to (and that's been more than a few) has had problems stabilizing their platform over time on multiple types of devices, to say nothing of the development cost for something that may not make anything close to ROI.

Why re-invent the wheel?

Netflix streaming sucked balls in both levels of content and in functionality until about the time amazon prime released their service.

Hulu was the same, even when comcast owned them before they renamed themselves to "xfinity", half of the time instead of getting a 15 second ad, you'd get 60 seconds of "ad cannot be loaded" and a black screen, then the playing would lose where you left off before the failed ad.

Amazon Video would regularly fail to load ANYTHING, whether it be watchlists or the content itself.

I was a fairly early adopter to streaming media going back as far as RealNetworks (Buffering!) and WebTV offerings over frigging dialup.

I hear regular complaints from my wife and my daughter about how the disney digital codes from blu-ray discs only really work well if you download them first and play them locally, even on a 100mb/sec down connection at one of the locations they frequently visit.

CW Seed was good for a while for DC stuff, but apparently that app is busted now and has been transitioned into the regular CW app (the two used to be separate) which is more suck-tacular than the old one, harder to search, and has regular rendering problems on multiple devices.

Collaboration is good, isolation in siloes is BAD.

And sure, SOMEONE will always be willing to pay for some things, but why not go with the clear market leader and reach a larger audience?

If things like Steam sales have shown anything to the video game market, it's that wider availability, even at a lower profit margin, results in greater net gains.

This feels like Warner Brothers saying "I'm taking my toys and GOING HOME!" while storming out of the sandbox.
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

Mangina at large.

Quote Originally Posted by PPatty
    I'm not sure the DC Universe meets that criteria but I don't begrudge them the attempt.
    I don't know how much would count as "enough content", nor do I know who owns the broadcast rights on these (it may not be DC), but they certainly have a lot more content than I thought, especially animated:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...d_on_DC_Comics
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...d_on_DC_Comics

32 modern films, 4 more coming soon; 144 serial films (shorts); 60-odd animated films; 70-odd seasons' worth of live-action TV; 80-odd seasons' worth of animated TV; and various and sundry one-off projects. Not bad.

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by Merrick ap'Milandra View Post
    Why re-invent the wheel?
    Usually you do it when the current wheel isn't handling the terrain to your satisfaction.