Thread: Off duty CA cop pulls gun on man for suspected shoplifting

Off duty CA cop pulls gun on man for suspected shoplifting

https://abcnews.go.com/US/off-duty-p...ry?id=54956281

What the fuck? Seriously what the fuck.

I guess shopping while Hispanic is a crime now.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist
    Crazy Bard

Re: Off duty CA cop pulls gun on man for suspected shoplifting

Sad and pitiful.

Reminds me of my community's facebook page where people were just beside themselves when a black person was walking through the neighborhood.
    If I wanted to be ignored I'd go to work.

This *will* hurt a bit.

One twenty. And he nearly got *shot*. For one twenty.

"But Obama's Nobel price." Nevermind that someone was nearly killed for one twenty.
    Last edited by Etelka; May 7th, 2018 at 11:56 PM.
    "Better an honest enemy than a shitty friend that's robbing you blind."

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Sad and pitiful.

Reminds me of my community's facebook page where people were just beside themselves when a black person was walking through the neighborhood.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/...awsuit-n872231

sounds kinda like that story heh.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist
    Crazy Bard

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    It sounds exactly what would happen in my neighborhood. Of course we also have the anti-AirBnB folks as well so they'd get a two for one deal on crazy.

Forum Sorcerer
    Lurking from the shadows

A shame is that this doesn't surprise me at all, on duty police have eroded our constitutional rights and no longer serve the public as much as themselves.And then they carry the same disregard for rights to other jobs where they are off duty.
    In fact, I personally was physically blocked by an off duty because I was daring to walk out of a Walmart store with an unbagged/unbaggable item(with receipt in full view).Because I didn't have the token geriatric certify the receipt (A walmart, not a sams club).And I'm "supposedly an entitled/privileged person". The fact is it doesn't matter who you are unless you belong to or well known in a positive light the blue thug....erm local police force will trample the average citizens rights even to the point of breaking the law themselves.
    Greed is for amateurs. Chaos, disorder, anarchy...now that's FUN!

Kirin Tor:
    Toccke- Archmage of Gnomeregan (retired)
    Shlemm-Rogue of grand mischief(retired)
    Dorra - High Priestest of Iron Forge (RIP)

Elder Arcanist
    Crazy Bard

I never show receipts unless it is a membership-based store like Costco. I've only ever had one person challenge me and they didn't actually follow me out of the store since I never stopped.

Forum Sorcerer

I don't know how theft/shoplifting laws work in the US, but over here in the UK you haven't actually committed a crime until you leave the store without paying. If you are really bored, you can "hide" things in your coat, wander around with the in store security shadowing you and then put it down in a very obvious manner before leaving the store. You might get banned from the store, but there is no law enforcement action.

Forum Sorcerer
    Lurking from the shadows

Quote Originally Posted by Woodja View Post
    I don't know how theft/shoplifting laws work in the US, but over here in the UK you haven't actually committed a crime until you leave the store without paying. If you are really bored, you can "hide" things in your coat, wander around with the in store security shadowing you and then put it down in a very obvious manner before leaving the store. You might get banned from the store, but there is no law enforcement action.
    Here's the main difference. the store hire the police when off duty(but because a "cop is never off duty"). They can skirt to edge of civilian powers and bleed into Official police powers without repercussions. In my case the cop pulled that legal grey area physically blocking me from proceeding but we never touched. Had I touched, I have no doubt I would have taken to the ground and held until uniformed units arrived. Not exactly sure if I manged to bolt around him though what would have happened. However, I might have been impatient, I wasn't stupid/crazy to try my luck again someone 1 foot taller and matching my weight in physcial condition.

In some stores they have actual uniformed, on duty officers, standing around, usually the premise: is they are on scene, because this is where incidents happen.(public paid security guards)
    Last edited by ChaosL01; May 11th, 2018 at 01:11 PM.
    Greed is for amateurs. Chaos, disorder, anarchy...now that's FUN!

Kirin Tor:
    Toccke- Archmage of Gnomeregan (retired)
    Shlemm-Rogue of grand mischief(retired)
    Dorra - High Priestest of Iron Forge (RIP)

Humble & proud of it!
    pseudo-intellectual elitist

Where I grew up, typically you could not be charged with shoplifting unless you left the store. There were exceptions to that rule for larger companies with cameras and security within strict guidelines.

edited to add: Chaos it's not that policing has gotten worse, it's that reporting of bad policing is getting more exposure. (A good thing I think we'd all agree.) I've had plenty of experience of corrupt and/or sloppy police forces with little to no regard for civil rights going back many years. Not to mention the history of such going back many years before even I was born.
    Last edited by Aennyil; May 12th, 2018 at 02:21 PM.