Thread: New video card

Forum Evoker

New video card

The Battletech thread has me interested in playing the game but I don't think my video card is up to snuff. I have a Radeon 5450. I think it has 4gb on it but I'm getting conflicting information from the various sources on my computer. System Info tells me it has 512 Adapter RAM but the properties for the card tell me it has 4gb available.

Looking at Steam, it says minimum specs require a GeForce GTX 560TI or Radeon HD 5870.

Pricing for either of those cards is well out of my budget. I'm looking to spend around $100. Does anyone have any thoughts on a card that would make this reasonably playable around that price range?

Interestingly enough, to me at least, my computer meets or is close to all other recommended specs for the game but the video card. I put this computer together many years ago so I'm surprised it's holding up as well as it has.

Elder Arcanist

Re: New video card

This might be an option for you...
    GeForce GT 739 4GB $86.88

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

It's a real bad time for buying videocards.

Their use in cryptocurrency mining is still high-demand and is driving prices for even low-end cards like that 730 higher than they should be.

I've got a 4GB version of this 750TI in my system that I paid 90 bucks for - definitely not the $160 as seen on Amazon.

Stay away from 730-level cards. They're barely better than integrated units, if only to offload the actual processing from the motherboard and CPU.

Here's that chip compared to my GTX750.

If you can swing the budget, go for a 750, or a x50 level at the very least. You might be able to find a 460 for a good price used, but caveat emptor etc.

Forum Evoker

Eremius, yeah that's the exact card I was looking at. I just worry that it doesn't seem to meet the minimum requirements for the game and I'll be disappointed.

Mileron, thanks for the background. Obviously, I haven't kept up with pricing so didn't know any of that.

Looks like I may just need to save up a bit more money or wait for prices to come down. Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate it.

probably better to save up money and catch a 1060 when the miners are not looking.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Forum Evoker
    Lurking from the shadows

I play Battletech with a MSI Radeon R9 390 DirectX 12 8GB just fine, very once in a while video slow down but not often.
    Greed is for amateurs. Chaos, disorder, anarchy...now that's FUN!

Kirin Tor:
    Toccke- Archmage of Gnomeregan (retired)
    Shlemm-Rogue of grand mischief(retired)
    Dorra - High Priestest of Iron Forge (RIP)

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosL01 View Post
    I play Battletech with a MSI Radeon R9 390 DirectX 12 8GB just fine, very once in a while video slow down but not often.
    The 390 is a heap better than the 730.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...0/m12582vs3481

Think of it this way:

Integrated = 4 cylinder you'd get your grandma
    x30 = 4cylinder car you'd get your sister so she feels sporty but not enough to make her tremendously dangerous
    x40 = 6 cylinder version of the above
    x50 = six cylinder that has punch but not always decent follow-through
    (yes, I can say this - I've been running a GTX750Ti for close to two years and a 1050 in a separate system that barely supports it due to bad system memory bus, no SSD, and shitty cooling)
    x60/70 = 8 cylinder with oomph, but not a racehorse
    x90 = the 8 cylinder racers with turbo/supercharging

And that's not even getting into overclocking or video RAM.

Even though the 7xx is a "higher number" than 3xx, it's the second set of numbers that better indicates where it is in power level.

Further being a Radeon the R9 gives you extra whomp in oomphville. If it was an R7, it'd still put out good numbers, just not as high.

My primary system is an off-the-shelf Acer Predator G7710 that I've been shoehorning upgrades into for close to ten years. It does what I need it to. I went for the 750ti in my primary because even though it was a side-downgrade from my prior Geforce GTX 260ti, it used less power, had better cooling, and was better supported by the games I was playing at the time. It also was a smaller physical card and didn't make my board flex.

Here's the comparison between my two cards: http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...-Ti/2187vs3649

Yes, the 1050 should be prettier, but even though things "look better" they run shittier due to a crappier overall system. I can't use the 1050 in my primary - the card doesn't physically fit. (Also my board is an early revision of PCI-E and can't handle it anyway.)

Cost isn't always the overarcing factor with regards to how good a card can be. Make sure you do your comparison shopping - including comparison googling for benchmarks (such as the links I provided).

Forum Evoker
    Lurking from the shadows

my main point is you don't have to have the flashiest card to run the game and A lot of Radeon cards can be obtained at near reasonable prices. about $350 range for an 8GB card.
    like MSI Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 RX 580 ARMOR MK2 8G OC 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express x16 HDCP for $360

Good to know my card choice from 3 years ago held up so well

IDK , it is a bad time to be in the market for video cards. for your price range you may try GIGABYTE Radeon RX 560 DirectX 12 GV-RX560GAMING OC-4GD REV2.0 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 ($169) or a Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 560 14CU 4GB GDDR5 PCI-E HDMI / DVI-D / DP OC Version (UEFI) ($149).

if you need/want performance sometimes you have to spend the money to get it.
    Last edited by ChaosL01; May 2nd, 2018 at 04:06 PM. Reason: additional information poster
    Greed is for amateurs. Chaos, disorder, anarchy...now that's FUN!

Kirin Tor:
    Toccke- Archmage of Gnomeregan (retired)
    Shlemm-Rogue of grand mischief(retired)
    Dorra - High Priestest of Iron Forge (RIP)

New battletech game? MAN i wish they would bring these to the consoles

Forum Evoker

Quote Originally Posted by Tinthalas Tigris View Post
    New battletech game? MAN i wish they would bring these to the consoles
    Same here. But if they didn't bring the Shadowrun game to consoles, I doubt they're going to do it with Battletech.

I suspect they never will, It is far less costly to develop for PC and I bet steam has less bullshit than Sony or MS to sell your game.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Fairly put, but fuck nuggets, it is TBS - not even RTS.

Elder Arcanist

Glad this thread is here. My video card just died and I was going to ask what was good. I want to get the best card I can in the 5-6 hundred dollar range. But it sounds like some of the $300 ones might do it. Also, what would be good for 4k gaming?

My thought is probably depends on what you intend to game in 4K. but honestly right now even a 1080Ti might struggle on 4K HDR at gaming refresh rates.
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    My thought is probably depends on what you intend to game in 4K. but honestly right now even a 1080Ti might struggle on 4K HDR at gaming refresh rates.
    Fair enough. That actually answers my question. 4k gaming is still out of my price range. Thanks!