Thread: Bug with Youtube posts?

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

Bug with Youtube posts?

for about a week now, Youtube posts here show up as black rectangles, nothing else

if I "quote reply", and thus get the link with copy/paste, the video from that works

I wonder if it was due to a WIndows update recently (yeah still using internet explorer, alas for most things it works and has less issues), hence I haven't said anything hoping it was just that and might be fixed

I feel trapped in a "Catch 22" world
    When the Old Guard dies,
    The cowards in the shadow rise,
    Their vile plots of cowardice and greed,
    Poison the land and nightmares arise,
    To terrorize and murder the common man.

(and as usual, please forgive typos and crankiness if possible)

Mangina at large.

Re: Bug with Youtube posts?

I see black rectangles when they're first loading, but then it quickly resolves into the video thumbnail picture. I'm using Firefox.

Elder Arcanist

Embedded YouTube videos have been black boxes for me for the last few weeks. I'm on IE as well.

It's been years since this happened last time, so I can't remember what I reverted to get things back to normal.

Mangina at large.

I'm not seeing anything on the vBulletin 4 support page about the issue. But I did find a welding board on vBulletin that was complaining on their forums about the same issue.

Aside: vBulletin 4.x is considered an end-of-life product by vBulletin. At some point we should look at whatever the latest version is and see if it's worth the upgrade. We're down to under 35 posts per day average, across all forums, so this could also end up being a "time to wind down" discussion.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

It's probably an addon you have preventing ads or other scripts that is interrupting youtube videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Delores Mulva View Post
    I'm not seeing anything on the vBulletin 4 support page about the issue. But I did find a welding board on vBulletin that was complaining on their forums about the same issue.

Aside: vBulletin 4.x is considered an end-of-life product by vBulletin. At some point we should look at whatever the latest version is and see if it's worth the upgrade. We're down to under 35 posts per day average, across all forums, so this could also end up being a "time to wind down" discussion.
    The new license model they have sucks, 5.0 sucks, and I need to replace it with Xenforo
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums

Elder Arcanist

Just noticed while using another browser that I'm also not seeing any embedded tweets on the forum as well.

I see tweets and youtube videos just fine in news articles, but on the forum they don't appear.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Generally the reason it shows up is you have your browser enforcing security. Having embeds work at all is inherently insecure.
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums