Thread: Elite Dangerous

Elder Arcanist

Elite Dangerous

So I picked this up a couple of weeks ago when Steam had it on sale for $8.99. So far I'm really liking it.

It was a bit of a learning curve to start with (default mappings aren't the best) but once I got that sorted it's been going well.

Is anybody else currently playing? I wouldn't mind hooking up with other people in game.

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

Re: Elite Dangerous

haven't played in a while, old brain/fingers aint up to it

very good game, IMHO

there's several trade calculating apps out there for it that REALLY help you make money

note the issues with risk vs reward, watch where you fly, ALWAYS check the path you fly, anarchic systems = more pirates
    the major systems like Sol will have few if any pirates

more expensive cargo you have, higher pirate risk, don't know if they have changed the AI, but it's more about the individual value of items, so a small cargo of platinum is more risky than a freighter loaded with washing machines that actually costs more in total

ALWAYS ALWAYS keep at least 2 insurance policy/costs, in case you lose your ship!!! thus you will have ability to outfit another ship
    I leave several ships scattered in safe, major systems in case of FUBARs

cannons = low heat, but need resupplied a lot and require better aiming

big guns = slower to aim not so good against small ships

my fave ship is a python armed with 3 large turret lasers and 2 medium multi-barrelled cannon in turrets

the really large ships cannot land at small stations, be aware of this when plotting out routes/missions, one reason I love the Python is it can land anywhere while still being "big"

there are various ways to get a 10% or more discount on buying a ship hull, which is a LOT when talking about the millions needed for larger vessels

forgotten how to do it, but it's vitally important to brake ot zero, or do an instant 180 flip away when arriving in a new system
    why?
    if it's a white dwarf it will fry you in seconds if you don't!!
    because their mass is so low but heat/radiation so high, you can warp in VERY close, as the jump ARRIVAL points are based off the mass of the star
    so with a white dwarf you think you are far away from a big star, when in fact you are very close to a tiny one, and get cooked!
    Last edited by Silverblade-T-E; March 9th, 2018 at 04:26 AM.

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

this is someone's screenshots not mine, the devs have improved the planetary graphics, including when you land

elite dangerous someones screenshot.jpg

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Silverblade-T-E View Post
    forgotten how to do it, but it's vitally important to brake ot zero, or do an instant 180 flip away when arriving in a new system
    why?
    if it's a white dwarf it will fry you in seconds if you don't!!
    because their mass is so low but heat/radiation so high, you can warp in VERY close, as the jump ARRIVAL points are based off the mass of the star
    so with a white dwarf you think you are far away from a big star, when in fact you are very close to a tiny one, and get cooked!
    I'm thinking there's a story behind this one...

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

Dramadon
    lol yes, got my ship fried and blow up that way early on

talk about shocking!!
    EEEEEEK!

there are also neutron star and black hole systems, avoid them like the plague, especially the neutron stars!
    Last edited by Silverblade-T-E; March 15th, 2018 at 02:17 PM.

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

some folk actually use the gravity of the neutron stars to sling them far far further than their ships normally can go...crazy sods :P

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

well thanks to Dramadon and having nto so bad day, played Elite dangerous for first time in at least a year

nice touches added
    ~you see class of star and system state 9war, anarchy security and if you are wanted there or not) when selecting to jump to a star

~can store your ships equipment and can recover it on any other ship at any other dock, saving you having t hunt all way to specific docks for upgrades when you wap stuff around

gonna try some passenger missions, much easier on me old nerves

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

did a boardie send me a friend invitation?
    someone tried to sent chat or such and whacked my game out other day lol

Elder Arcanist

I'm getting closer and closer to checking this game out.

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

Dramandon
    well worth it if you can get it on a sale IMHO

tricky to get into, I use mouse/keyboard, set it up to suit my tastes, can explain if wish?
    *DO* the tutorials to learn how to manoeuvre etc
    lots of vids on how to pilot, dock, where to make money, and so on.
    to start with one of the best things you can do, is start in a very high populated system, like Sol or Achenar, with LOTS of docks, pick up delivery missions that are only data or the like, no cargo space needed, and nothing for pirates to hunt you for PROVIDED you do NOT take high level missions
    you can queue up to 20 missions
    do lots of these, work out which ones are good, avoid ones that take you to VERY far out stations anything like 20,000Ls or more out, forget it until you get better frame shift drive (warp drive in the game) as it will take too long
    stick to one station, such as Abraham Lincoln space port in Sol, do these missions, do NOT pick up other ones to save you time/hassles etc at start, you want ot improve your "faction" with this primary dock, higher faction = bigger pay outs

Do NOT try kill missions at start, like "massacre pirates" or fight in a combat zone or whatever. wait till you have better geared ship
    even a small fighter like an Eagle can be damn good killer IF you learn tricks, and get upgrades

watch for your POWER LIMITS, the engine only has so much juice, a trick is you can arrange the module layout to turn off certain things
    you set engine, drive, shields, weapons, defences to "1" priority, so all your "combat" stuff works when your guns come out, but your Frame Shift drive you set to "priority" 2 or 3, so if need be it gets shut down if you don't have power...putting guns away shuts them down and frame shift drive come sback online
    bit tricky to learn/set up, but it's vital

some factions support a "super Power" , like the Federation S(ol based), the Empire (Achenar based), and then there is the Alliance (who don't have an ships to unlock, easy going friendlier neutrals as it were) they show a symbol in their mission tab if they do support a super power
    if you succeed in missions for such a faction, regardless of what it is, passengers, cargo, courier, combat etc, you ALSO go up ranks in the super power
    this is important because gaining ranks unlocks certain ships and permits for restricted solar systems
    you can support all 3 super powers at the same time, provided you aren't killing their naval ships

note
    they broke the game balance with the Engineers DLC or whatever, IMHO
    enemies at higher ranks get WAY more powerful because they too, often, but not always, have Engineered equipment
    so when you start fighting enemies of say, Master or higher level, they can become excessively powerful if you don't' have heavy engineered items...which I don't, grrr!!
    kind of like doing Planes of Power in Kunark gear
    So be very wary of that, freakin ridiculous having best "shop bought" equipped heavy fighter, taking ages ot kill a much smaller NPC piloted fighter of same rank, when I should go through him like a buzzsaw...but he has engineered gear...they should give these over powered little bastards a special icon or such to warn you, lol

the Orca is a GORGEOUS ship to fly and earn credits with!! passenger vessel
    also killed quite a few pirates with it, lol
    extremely fast and manoeuvrable, very very small head on cross section, so two multicannons Medium sized underneath plus Large pulse laser, you can strafe piss out of lower level pirates even thought he ship is just a passenger vessel
    just have to remember with the orca, like all ships, where the guns actually ARE and thus, best position for combat, orca's guns are underneath so you want to be angled slightly higher than target

and the Orca can out run damn near anything else if you get interdicted
    special item lets you yank someone out of warp travel, mostly used by pirates but also by naval vessels and some bounty hunters...if you submit your Frame Shift Drive resets fast so its quicker to escape...or you can combat the other dude in a mini game to try and escape but if you fial your FSD takes longer to restart and take a very small amount of hull damage)
    standard practice if you have a fast ship os to either do minigame (if good at it and ship is manouverable)...or, submit, then maxx speed hit the burner and run like a bastard and hit the FSD to jump away fast as you can

interestingly, if jumped like this, you can use the HEAT SINK moduel fi have one, to freeze your ship, scanners work on infra red
    so, heat sink and going "silent running (turns off shields, guns etc but makes ship drop off scanners) can let you sneak away if careful...angle away like 30 or 40 degrees, the enemy sees the heat sink like a bright flare, ti sucks all the heat out of ship
    ship heats up rapidly when silent running so beware
    also a way to sneak into a dock with illegal cargo or criminals on board as you wont' show on scanners so can't be spotted by cops

now you can also set your "limpets", remote drones, to NOT pick up certain things, this is important because if you are bounty hunting in a REZ site (resource extraction, where mining ships work so pirates go after them for gold etc)
    well you do NOT want ot pick up stolen stuff or the cops will fire on you if they can you, but you now can select items in CONTACTS list, if have a limpet controller, and set it to ignore such things, leaving you to pick up all the special "materials" (they have name tags) the pirates drop, that you can later use for "engineered" upgrades

do NOT play in "Open" unless you wish to put up with jerk players, and space stations jammed with too many ships
    play on Solo, unless you have friends to play in Open mode
    (Open = multiplayer, solo = single)
    Last edited by Silverblade-T-E; April 2nd, 2018 at 05:49 PM.

Elder Arcanist

Thanks for the tips. Part of the reason I haven't looked into it is it seems like a very complicated game that I don't have the time or energy to try and figure out in the middle of the school year.

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

my pleasure
    it does take time to figure out, but IMHO, is well worth it

some folks use HOTAS systems (those cost a ton!), but I find keyboard way better than a joystick

left Shift and CTRL = accelerate and reverse

a and d as side to side thrusters

w and s as up/down thrusters

r and f as forward/reverse thrusters

q and e as roll left/right around long axis

"numpad enter" as afterburner (that key is near the thumb of my right hand on mouse thus easy to hit it)

c for chaff (which doesn't affect missiles oddly enough, it screws up targeting of gimballed and turret guns)

5 for shield bank (a booster for damaged shields)

x = engines to zero (not "Off" per se, but zeroed because when in "hyper cruise" you aren't standing still just moving very slow at lowest setting)

iirc UK and USA keyboards are different, but I use key above the TAB key (which is the ` grave key on my Microsoft keyboard) to scroll through your ships UI window panels
    as it's easy to reach with left hand on the main flight controls
    Oddly I find the old bog standard Microsoft keyboard and old 200 mouse easier/better to play games with than expensive ones, lol)

z= flight assist off, this turns the automatic balancing off your craft off, a small degree of auto stabilizing correction keeps your ship kind of balanced using thrusters automatically, turn it off and you can, like in Babylon 5, flip your craft around even backwards while momentum may keep you going forward, VERY handy for large ships where your manoeuvrability may suck, but you can flip backwards to fire on an enemy on your ass quicker than trying to turn

higher ranked enemies don't just have better ship layouts, they have much better skills and you learn ways to combat that

trading , passengers, and exploration too, are just as valid and profitable as combat and have TONS of things to aid them
    there is a LOT "Under the hood" of the game that can keep you interested a long time, IMHO
    for example, all kinds of way to display economics, who produced what, buys/sells what...caveat is you need to either have visited those solar systems, or bought economic data for them (in game you can buy system's data, the physical layouts, of each system, or, economic data, NOT mini-transactions!! lol no, just in game "exploration" and economic bureaus trade such details to you if you are docked in a space station)

only "Mini transactions" Elite D has are paint jobs etc for your ship
    Last edited by Silverblade-T-E; April 4th, 2018 at 03:34 AM.

Elder Arcanist

Ok, picked up this game. Look under "Seecher".

Combat is hard. I've been practicing in the training sessions but I don't feel anywhere near confident enough with it to try it for real yet. I probably should though because it's not like I've invested anything into a ship.

Speaking of which, how do you upgrade your ship?

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

to upgrade
    you land on a station that has OUTFITTING capabilities, and go into menu, tons of things you can change

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

Dramadon
    not get my Friends request in game?

currently making a fortune bounty hunting for the "community goal" challenge

go to a "resource extraction site"
    I use HIGH threat level ones, at low level stick to LOW or maybe normal ones
    difficulty is: LOW, Normal (which has no name tag added just simple "Resource extraction site), High and HAZARDOUS
    I believe higher the "security rating" of the system the more police (system security) ships there will be, not sure on that though

I follow either the system security forces, OR a nice juicy expensive bounty pirate who I use a Kill Warrant Scanner on that tells me ALL of their wanted bounties (across many systems they are wanted in, not just this one. normally it only shows bounty in system you are in, but many pirates have 3 or more bounties as well...adds up to a lot)

then wait till the cops and pirates fight, shoot the pirates form long range with my laser turrets (which almost never shoot the cops by accident, very useful that!)
    long as you do say 5% or more hull damage, you get the bounty!
    much safer and very full of profitssssssssss!

note if you are smart, you can do same at lower level, letting the cops do the dirty work for you and so, get ranks, profit and faction very quickly
    if you shoot cops, but not too badly you get $200 fine, pay it off in nearby system, long as the fines don't get too high, and damage stays low, you will be ok
    can pay fines off in other systems, fines usually mean you cannot land/use any station in that system until fine is paid

note: using kill warrant scanner, you get bounties for all over, if you hunt for an INTERSTELLAR FACTOR, on a station using the search menu in the Galaxy map, they take a cut to turn in bounties everywhere you have one, saves going lal over the place to hand them in, they take a 25% cut, but more than worth it
    also note, using the Kill Warrant scanner in this fashion not only gets money, but, every bounty reward also raises some factions regard for you, so you can raise faction over MANY systems with one turn in!

(anyone who's played the X Beyond the Frontier series of games will get the "profitsssss" bit, gotta luv those bloody Teladi, lol)

"fixed" weapons always give you the best power/damage efficiency, but, since they only fire directly forward require skill and/or agile ship
    gimballed mounts give some "auto tracking"
    turrets give least damage/worst power, but one some ships, or mounting positions can be very useful (like underneath a ship which is often hard to utilize weapons down there , or as noted, turrets won't fire on cops by accident)

Elder Arcanist

I got your request, I thought I accepted it...hmm...I'll have to check it.

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

remember when upgrading...it all requires energy from your Power Plant's generation
    the Power Distributor is next on the energy flow, it stores/directs energy to 3 outputs: system, engine, weapons
    system also helps keep ship cool by the way, which is important
    you really need to upgrade the powerplant before anything else

you can sneak away form enemies by firing a heat sink, then hitting SILENT RUNNING
    silent running turns everything off, heat builds up fast since no energy for cooling, but for a while you won't show on their sensors
    thus if you aim off at an angle, hit the burners, then heat sink & silent running, you can evade for a while but at the cost of your shields turned off
    since the heatsink cools you to 0, it delays heating

energy weapons do best against shields
    kinetic against hulls
    tricky but good combat thing is using a cannon or rail gun to snipe the Power Plant of an enemy ship when it's shields go down (other weapons do varying damage to hull/modules, especially kinetic, and cannon/rail gun are best for module damage)
    damaged power plant = less capability but if you reduce it to 0, regardless of enemy ship's hull remaining, no power plant = boom
    others target the drives, to bugger the enemy's movement

in the menu that has navigation, contracts, and contacts, it also lets you select what module to aim for on a ship, or you can cycle through it form main menu of targeted ship using Y key

Kinky Euro

Hey guys :-D

sidenote - a cheap HOTAS can be had for roughly $50 if you pick the thrustmaster, I got a Saitek X52Pro on amazon sale for 85€, that was nice lol.
    IMO it's much more difficult to fly with mouse/kb but I guess you get used to it (back when Elite2 and 3 were popular we didn't have a HOTAS either).

I really need to pick this back up, dropped it a few weeks ago on my way back from SagA* to play different stuff. Getting a new monitor tomorrow so maybe that will be reason enough to check out how it looks.

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

Elite 3 was bugged as hell and hardly worked
    shame as I really wanted to enjoy it, sigh

Elite 2 rocked

folk are saying, well, some, that Elite Dangerous looks awesome with "VR" headset
    with just normal graphics (don't have VR set up) bit easier for me than some games, since graphics while extremely good, are not very "dense", don't wear on the old "cranial interface"
    use turrets a lot now in Elite Dangerous, can't play as fine as used to, but turrets take care of that
    oddly, the "warp jump" graphics set off the fekkin migraines, so I just shut my eyes now

since I have no life and am sneaky bugger, in top 10% of new community goal, lol (just do High risk resource extraction sights, let cops do most of the shooting!)
    want to eventually get an Imperial Cutter, cruise and mine the galaxy in style

the Alliance chieftain is an extremely good ship!
    but prefer my Python, not as agile, but can carry way more