Thread: Critical Role: Campaign 2

Elder Arcanist

Critical Role: Campaign 2

I never finished the first campaign because I got so far behind but I've been watching since this one started. The first few episodes were a bit slow I thought (understandable since they were trying to get their footing with their characters and try to gel as a group). However, the last couple of have been very good, especially the last vendor Mercer came up with. That guy was awesome.

I do have a question about the setting though, how much time has passed since the end of the first campaign? Have they mentioned it?

Re: Critical Role: Campaign 2

They have not, precisely.

More than a generation is all I've heard.

Yea I agree the first few were painful to watch but its really starting to pick up now.
    I thought it was 20-30 years that passed?

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

I finally watched a few episodes of this. I don't know if you guys are still watching, but here are my thoughts so far:

New seating arrangement messed with my OCD for awhile, but I think it worked out for the best. It's encouraged player character interaction that was rare in the previous campaign, such as between Laura and Sam's new characters. I also think milestone leveling was a good idea.

I remember several of them wanting to play characters a little less virtuous (to put it mildly). This party doesn't seem evil per se, but they definitely seem a lot shadier and darker than the previous. The new setting seems ripe for an overall darker tone as well. Whereas the previous campaign took place in a kingdom that gave them opportunity to be heroes, this new campaign seems to take place in a marginally oppressive empire that they may or may not choose to rebel against.

Characters. I kept thinking this was going to be "I miss Scanlan" all over again, but I'm pretty happy with what they've got so far. Pretty sure Jester is my favorite, but almost all of them have had good moments so far. Going to list them all and what I think about them. I started so late that I'm sure anyone who cares is already watching and knows all this, but I'm doing it anyway.

A few of these were surprises but most aligned with previous comments players have made about what they might want to try next. Backstories haven't been revealed yet, but most of them have a high potential to be dark.

Liam - Caleb Widogast - Wizard with a cat familiar. Disheveled and dirty vagabond. A bit morose (not unlike Vax). Created in conjunction with Sam's character, like he did with Laura in the previous campaign. My favorite gag of this new campaign was started when Laura decided that if he was so dirty and rundown then he must also smell bad. Light German accent.

Sam - Nott the Brave - To quote Sam, "I am a little goblin girl". Name is a play on words. Wears a creepy mask and hood to remain unnoticed, likes to steal things, and has a bond with Caleb. I was a little worried because a rogue doesn't have as much opportunity to come up with crazy plays as a bard, but at least the RP side of the character has been as good as his previous characters. Accent makes him sound like Dobby from Harry Potter.

Laura - Jester - A cute and scatterbrained tiefling cleric. She follows a god of chaos and is always playing silly pranks as a result. On the surface is the only character as silly as Grog and Scanlan were last campaign. Eastern European accent.

Marisha - Beauregard - Part human monk, part angsty teen edgelord. I found her to be intolerable early on, but she has had good interactions with some of the other players and her shithead attitude has provided for some decent comedy. I also enjoy how much she and Taliesin's characters seem to hate each other. No accent.

Travis - Fjord - Half orc warlock of the hexblade variety. In stark contrast to Grog, Fjord is probably the most level-headed and sane member of the new group. He is also the face, being the character with the highest charisma, it's usually up to him to do most of the talking. But as Laura points out, some of the other characters have real low charisma but they don't know it. At the last minute added a Texan accent, and has been a source of unintentional comedy ever since.

Taliesin - Mollymauk Tealeaf - Tiefling blood hunter. Free spirit, grifter, well acquainted with all the weirdness you might find at carnivals. The blood hunter is the class that Mercer created. Other than Mercer Taliesin has the most experience at the table, so it's not a surprise when he picks a more complicated or fresh class. (like his fighter variant last campaign) Light Irish accent. I didn't catch it until he pointed it out.

Ashley - Yasha - Aasimar Barbarian. Cold and forthright. The difference compared to Pike has amused some of the other players, but it's also limited character interaction and she hasn't really had a chance to do anything interesting yet. Being less vital makes it easier for her character to vanish when she has to work on her TV show, but it also makes her feel like a guest character. I'm not far enough in to see if this improves. No accent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dramadon View Post
    The first few episodes were a bit slow I thought (understandable since they were trying to get their footing with their characters and try to gel as a group). However, the last couple of have been very good, especially the last vendor Mercer came up with. That guy was awesome.
    I can see why you guys would think this, though only the second was really hard for me. The first was mostly just them laughing at each other's dumb new accents, but was pretty short by their standards. The second episode was two or three hours of them trying and failing to find clues in every single place they looked. Hoo boy. Level 2~!

Quote Originally Posted by Dramadon View Post
    I do have a question about the setting though, how much time has passed since the end of the first campaign? Have they mentioned it?
    In the first episode Mercer mentions the date as 835 PD. If google is correct, that would put this campaign at about 20 years later.

P.S. New intro is cute, and I'm impressed with the commitment (especially Ashley...), but 70/80s funk isn't something I'm nostalgic for, so I'm looking forward to the day they do new character ones, however long that may be.

P.P.S. Spoilers up to episode 4:

Spoiler for spoiler:

I just have to say how amusing I find it that in their first major encounter Marisha nearly kills another kid. I guess at least she learned the lesson to make an asshole character that won't feel bad about it afterwards.

Literally the only thing she did while everyone else was fighting the frog demon was try to choke the kid out with her stick, elbow her in the back of the head, and then carry her unconscious body around while it bled out. Now to be fair, that last part is on Mercer. Vax had been allowed to knock characters out with "non-lethal blunt" damage before. I don't know why he didn't do the same for Marisha. Pretty funny though!

Last edited by Wool; April 16th, 2018 at 10:59 PM.

Forum Arcanist

I liked the call-back on Terion Derrington.

Elder Arcanist

"Ruby of the Sea: The Best Lay Ever" is my favorite moment so far. I also really liked Nott's explanation of her relationship with Caleb.

After the first two or three episodes they have all been very good, although the one last week was a bit slow because Laura was sick. Still, it was kind of fun to see her limited interactions over chat and texting.

Quote Originally Posted by VariaVespasa View Post
    I liked the call-back on Terion Derrington.
    Yes. This was very good.

I am one week behind as i only listen on podcast form, but i have enjoyed the way they are gelling in the last 3 weeks.

The cloned vendor they visit is very amusing.

I wonder if the same subjection that gilmore was previously exposed to will result in clone deaths.

Elder Arcanist

Pumat Sol is awesome.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Making decent progress catching up, though I'm nowhere near as observant of the details as I was last time I was watching this.

For example, apparently Laura and Travis are having a baby. I didn't notice until they officially announced it, but there were a ton of clues, hints, and easter eggs about it as far back as the Grog one-shot. It almost makes me want to go back and re-watch everything to look for them.

I'm going to be sad to see them go when they inevitably have to take a break to take care of newborn baby.

Up to the point where Matt introduces that new npc you guys were talking about. He reminds me of a cartoon character but I'm not sure which one.

P.S. I forgot to mention the best part about the new season: they stream on Youtube now. Part of why I fell off was because my internet is garbage and doesn't work with Twitch particularly well.

Forum Arcanist

Tangentially related....

Last edited by VariaVespasa; April 30th, 2018 at 07:41 AM.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

I finally caught up, sortof. I'm having a hard time finishing the previous episode (the festival games one), so I didn't watch the one this Thursday. But I've watched enough for a few more comments. I mostly want to take guesses at the backstories, but have a few other observations as well.

First, Ashley has been back long enough to finally feel like part of the group again. Second, I thought it was interesting how dramatically Liam shifted Caleb's character recently. He was very heavily RPing a certain type of person (very anti-social and awkward) and several others in the group didn't know what to make of it. They were beginning to get nasty about it, so I thought it was interesting when on the next episode he was suddenly very cooperative and chipper while only being mildly shy. I feel kind of bad for him because I think he probably took the blame for poor group cohesion even though I don't think it was his fault.

Anyway, backstories:

Spoiler for spoilers up to episode 15 or so:

Beau - Not much left to reveal here I think, other than specific characters. Beau comes from a privileged family and was forced into a life meant for someone else. She hates both these facts and became a shithead over it.

Fjord - Pretty simple I think. He was a sailor that drowned and was given power by some sort of lovecraftian elder god thing.

Jester - I think she pretty much told us everything already. Her mother is a world famous courtesan and she was forced to flee home. The two big questions are up to Mercer to figure out and reveal to us. 1) Who is her father? 2) What happened to her mother after she left? I suppose the nature of the Traveler itself is also something we will eventually learn. I also think it's interesting to ponder just what side of her family the demon blood comes from, and how close it is to the actual source? Aka maybe one of her parents isn't a tiefling, but a demon.

Nott - We don't know a lot, but what little we do know has been laid out fairly plainly. For whatever reason she does not get along with the goblins of her tribe, and I believe she wants Caleb to transform her into something more easily accepted in society. One small twist is the money/items she has been apparently delivering to some location. She could simply be paying someone off, but part of me also wonders if she didn't used to be a goblin.

Caleb - We know he comes from a poor village that raised money to send him to a magic academy, but that he failed and did something horrible in the process. We also know he has both a fascination and fear of fire. I think he accidentally burned either his family or his entire village to death.

Yasha - We've seen the least of her and so also know the least. Based on her race/class composition alone I think she is some kind of Valkyrie analogue.

Molly - Taliesin was recently forced to try and cover up his character's past when Mercer introduced a character from said past. Under the zone of truth spell we know a few things, but we also know Taliesin was still hiding something. He seemed to put forth a great deal of effort in talking around the effects of the spell.

So what do we know? We know that two years ago he woke up in a grave and dug his way out. We know all he said for the first days was "empty" He was very adamant that he does not want to know more about his past life because "that person is not me". He very heavily leaned into the concept of living in the moment and not worrying about who or what you might have been before. Which is easy enough to understand and easy enough to believe, but the fact that he was squirming with his words makes me think something else.

I think he is a spirit possessing someone else's corpse. He very literally isn't the person that was buried in the ground, rather than the figurative meaning he made the group believe. This also plays into his class specialization of being a ghost hunting version of a blood hunter.

Elder Arcanist

Lots of backstory on Caleb last episode.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Hey I was right about something for once! Well, sortof mostly right. I didn't expect that extra twist.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

I'm a couple of months behind so I don't know the exact details or the why of it, but Critical Role has branched off from Geek and Sundry and formed their own Twitch and Youtube channels.

An Important Announcement Regarding Critical Role

From what I understand, they did it so that they will be considered more as an independent program and franchise of G&S.

Nerdist is no longer in the hands of hardwick, but instead in the hands of legendary, which is owned by a Chinese company, so the larger they can make individual properties appear, they can make bigger avenues to profit and awareness.

Instead of people hearing about CR, googling it, and then redirecting to G&S or nerdist with confusion, thry can see a website dedicated to a singular product.

Laura had her baby. Ronin was born Thursday morning.

Elder Arcanist

I've been on vacation. Did they cancel the episode Thursday?

Forum Arcanist

No, they just played without Laura and Travis. Gave an unsuspecting family the bird... :P

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by VariaVespasa View Post
    No, they just played without Laura and Travis. Gave an unsuspecting family the bird... :P
    Heh.

Just finished the episode where they gave kyrie away.

What a weird yet "convenient" ending.