Thread: Linux Mint 17.3 on an old 11 year old Dell PC

Linux Mint 17.3 on an old 11 year old Dell PC

So!

It is now completely configured as far as operating systems go. I ordered the 17.3 flash drive, perhaps, 6 months ago, and this is already a complete version old. (I looked up most recent versions, and it seems as though there is a version 18.3 already out).

I might or might not upgrade.

Whatever I choose, this seems extremely stable and took little to no configuration out of the "box" in order to get things running. I am very, very satisfied with how quickly I now have a working PC for browsing the web, etc.

That being said, I am curious about which distributions I should consider in addition to Linux Mint.

We decided to build this PC, mostly, for the kids. From what I understand, my wife says they might need to use a computer for printing out papers related to school, and such, and researching little odds and ends, and just generally understanding how a computer is supposed to work in an environment that might require it.

I am trying to introduce them to a system of software which functions for a benefit of understanding, rather than convenience. (in other words, I want them to understand how terminals work, and the greater aspects of the internet, and networking, hence, Linux, and not a Microsoft platform).

Is there a distribution I should use instead of Linux Mint? I don't really want to turn this into a gaming PC. Perhaps I will build myself one, but I don't, truly, see that happening anytime soon.

What should I do with my Linux PC first? I have not yet installed any software, and I am actually a bit unfamiliar with the whole linux side of things. I know the whole cab/package handler is the way to go, and keep it open sourced, and all that jazz. We are going to need to do our taxes this year on this Linux PC, and am wondering if I should try using one of the open source apps as opposed to using the online TurboTax which we have used in the past. Any recommendations on that aspect? In addition to that, should I download a decent Music generation program, or graphics software? SHould I download a game app/cab/package? Should I download a decent programming suite of some sort?

I currently looking at this as just a simple PC for looking at the web, and that is truly, about it. It is easy to use, nice, and quiet, and for lack of a better word, incredibly simple.

Your advice is always appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Linux Mint 17.3 on an old 11 year old Dell PC

I've spent quite a bit of time 'refurbishing' old laptops and installing Linux on them for exactly the same reasons. My current favourite is Cub Linux - its lightweight and runs fine on old hardware. It started out as Chromixium and as you can tell by the name, was supposed to mimic Chrome OS - so it looks just like a chromebook, but with all the options that a standard linux has. I understand that Cub Linux is no more, but the developer has 'relaunched' as Phoenix Linux. It's currently in alpha and I haven't played with it yet - but when I get the next Laptop in to play with, I intend to try it.
    Herb
    Blog

Re: Linux Mint 17.3 on an old 11 year old Dell PC

My 11 year old dell is now capable of printing to an otherwise unlinuxable canon.

It took about an hour to get the whole package to work right, an install after that, a set of drivers after that, and then a frustrating 20 test pages after that, and now this Frankenstein pc is doing almost everything.

The next thing i want to try is quakeworld, possibly.