Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Family says son killed by police in ‘swatting’ was unarmed, didn’t play video games

Mangina at large.

Re: Family says son killed by police in ‘swatting’ was unarmed, didn’t play video gam

Quote Originally Posted by Silverblade
    Numerous video, never mind other testimony, kind of disproves the idea it's "only a few rotten apples"
    You realize there's over three quarters of a million state and local police in the United States, right? That's a lot of videos that you've watched.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Re: Family says son killed by police in ‘swatting’ was unarmed, didn’t play video gam

I agree with Delores. I don't think it's fair to assume the cop was an asshole. For all we know this guy is Barney Fife reborn and this mistake will destroy his life.

What disgusts me is how easy it is to escalate to death. While I think being scared might be a possible reason for it happening, I don't think it is a very good excuse.

Elder Arcanist

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/31/us/col...red/index.html

5 deputies shot, one killed, responding to a domestic disturbance call.

And you wonder why they are all wound so tight when responding to a call? I still think there are way too many shootings of unarmed suspects, and that better training could help reduce this, but I can certainly understand the reason their assholes pucker when they respond to a call.

Elder Arcanist

Someone interviewed the person who allegedly called in the SWAT report in the Wichita case:

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/17/12...wed-on-twitter

When it became apparent that a man had been killed as a result of the swatting, Swautistic tweeted that he didn't get anyone killed because he didn't pull the trigger. Swautistic soon changed his Twitter handle to @GoredTutor36, but KrebsOnSecurity managed to obtain several weeks' worth of tweets from Swautistic before his account was renamed. Those tweets indicate that Swautistic is a serial swatter -- meaning he has claimed responsibility for a number of other recent false reports to the police. Among the recent hoaxes he's taken credit for include a false report of a bomb threat at the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) that disrupted a high-profile public meeting on the net neutrality debate. Swautistic also has claimed responsibility for a hoax bomb threat that forced the evacuation of the Dallas Convention Center, and another bomb threat at a high school in Panama City, Fla, among others.

After tweeting about the incident extensively Friday afternoon, KrebsOnSecurity was contacted by someone in control of the @GoredTutor36 Twitter account. GoredTutor36 said he's been the victim of swatting attempts himself, and that this was the reason he decided to start swatting others. He said the thrill of it "comes from having to hide from police via net connections." Asked about the FCC incident, @GoredTutor36 acknowledged it was his bomb threat. "Yep. Raped em," he wrote. "Bomb threats are more fun and cooler than swats in my opinion and I should have just stuck to that," he wrote. "But I began making $ doing some swat requests."
    First of all... how does he make money doing swat requests?

Second of all... he needs to be permanently removed from the human gene pool.

How he made money I dunno but I am guessing it was in the currency made for crime, Bitcoin.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

His "I did not pull the trigger" excuse will not hold up. Wheel men have been charged with homicide related charges in bank robberies when someone dies even though they were in the car, And Mafia guys have been charged with murder like charges for hits they have ordered.

Also if his other claims are true, The feds will be coming for him. And finally after the family sues the city for wrongful death and very likely wins or gets settled out of court for seven figures the city will take him to civil court to recoup. Finally the officers family might sue him for emotional.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Humble & proud of it!
    pseudo-intellectual elitist

I hope they throw the book at this miscreant as an example to other sociopaths who might think this is fun.

Forum Channeler

He certainly doesn't seem overly concerned over the consequences of his actions.

Mangina at large.

He'll be concerned with the consequences of his actions when his most recent action is dropping the soap in the shower in federal prison.

Elder Arcanist

I'm betting there will be a few tears when sentencing is handed down.

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

it really is a form of terrorism and murder for pleasure and profit, so he should suffer the maximum penalties allowed and all his property/money seized to repay victims as a warning to other scum!
    often it's seizing of goods/money that deters these shitheads more than jail or execution, because they don't care about other folks and thus don't' empathize and then fear the penalty

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Khieran View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/31/us/col...red/index.html

5 deputies shot, one killed, responding to a domestic disturbance call.

And you wonder why they are all wound so tight when responding to a call? I still think there are way too many shootings of unarmed suspects, and that better training could help reduce this, but I can certainly understand the reason their assholes pucker when they respond to a call.
    Police have only slightly higher odds of being shot as anyone else (depending on the exact year, and what constitutes a police officer, 0.15% vs 0.13%). The problem is they train on how to shoot people, not how to avoid being shot or having to shoot people. A lot of the time the issue is that they treat arresting someone for a crime as the most important role.

The only reason you need a no knock warrant is if you believe the person is going to destroy evidence. Evidence of what? It's almost always drugs. They're so concerned with finding drugs on someone they put their own lives and citizens lives at risk. All of their training revolves around trying to convict people of drug crimes, so outside of that they have little or no training, and end up putting themselves and others in danger.

Elder Arcanist

Same guy that called in the Wichita swatting apparently also called in one in Calgary:

http://abc7.com/la-swatting-suspect-...anada/2920202/

Difference this time is that the police didn't kill anyone, but the call was pretty much identical it looks like

On Friday, Dec. 22, 2017, at approximately 7:40 p.m., Calgary 911 received a call from a male who claimed he had shot his father and was holding his mom and younger brother hostage. The caller provided information leading officers to believe that the incident occurred at an address located in the 2300 block of 17b Street S.W. Officers from patrol and the Tactical Unit quickly attended the residence, contained the scene, and began evacuating nearby units.

While officers were on scene trying to confirm the reported information, Calgary 911 received another call from a female who lived at the address, who believed she was the victim of a swatting call. The female exited her residence and officers confirmed that the initial report of a shooting and hostage scenario was false. During this incident, a substantial amount of police resources were required to contain the scene and protect the safety of citizens.

Elder Arcanist

Man Arrested For 'Swatting' Call That Led To Murder Charged With Involuntary Manslaughter

Twenty-five-year-old Tyler Barriss was charged today in Kansas for involuntary manslaughter and two other counts in the wake of a swatting call that led police to kill an unarmed 28-year-old at his home. The maximum sentence varies but if found guilty, Barriss could face a hefty fine and years in prison.

Police say that Barriss had called police to report a hostage situation, telling officers on December 28, 2017 that he had his family at gunpoint and had doused the house with gasoline. He then gave them an address for 28-year-old Andrew Finch, who was shot and killed by an officer when he answered the door. That officer is now on paid administrative leave.

Barriss reportedly made the call after an argument between two Call of Duty players led to one giving the other an address. That player then reportedly gave the address to Barriss, who was known in the community for swatting—making false police reports in order to get officers to show up at an adversary’s house. The address turned out to be unrelated to anyone involved with the dispute, however, and instead led police to Finch.

Barriss was also charged with giving false alarm and interference with law enforcement. His bond is set at $500,000.

As Rolling Stone points out, Barriss is also being charged for a swatting incident in Calgary, Canada in late December. Nobody was hurt in that case.

Due to earlier info I bet this is just the start of his problems. If its hard facts he did the FCC bomb threat, I am sure the feds will have words too and id imagine calling a bomb threat to a federal building has higher consequence than calling it in to say a shopping mall.

But one crime at a time, First and most important is to focus on the one that caused a death.
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist

New court date set for "swatting" suspect

WICHITA, Kan - A new court date has been scheduled for the Los Angeles man charged in connection with a fatal "swatting" incident in Wichita.

25-year-old Tyler Barriss will appear in Sedgwick County district court for a preliminary hearing on March 29th. He is charged with involuntary manslaughter, giving a false alarm and interference with a law enforcement officer.

Barriss is accused of making a false 911 call to Sedgwick County on December 28th, claiming that he had shot his father and was holding family members hostage at a home near Seneca and McCormick. Police said it was a "swatting" call directed by one online gaming group against another. 28-year-old Andrew Finch, who was not involved with the gaming activity, was shot and killed by an officer when he stepped outside his home.

Finch's family has filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against the city of Wichita.
    And from an article on the family's lawsuit...

The lawsuit cites FBI crime statistics showing Wichita has a ratio of one shooting death for every 120 officers - a number that is 11 times greater than the national ratio and 12 times greater than the ratio in Chicago.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Ackar View Post
    And from an article on the family's lawsuit...
    Holy shit, I knew there was a reason I didn't like Wichita

Back when this happened, I read a lot of articles about it. The guy who called in the SWAT wasn't even one of the guys in the dispute. He's a "swatter for hire" with a history of having people pay him to do these swatting calls. The pissed off gamer hired him to place the swatting call on the other gamer. Barriss needs to go away forever.

Elder Arcanist

Fatal Call Of Duty Swatter Pleads Guilty To 51 Charges

Swatter Tyler Barriss, 26, pled guilty yesterday to the crimes that led police to forcibly enter the home of Wichita resident Andrew Finch, who died from an officer’s gunshot wound. Barriss originally pled not guilty to this fatal instance of swatting, which occurred over a dispute in Call of Duty in 2017.

The Associated Press reports that Barriss pled guilty to 51 charges in a plea deal and could face between 20 and 25 years in prison. The charges include threatening to kill another person, making interstate threats and conspiracy to commit bank fraud.

Barriss’s criminal history is long and dotted with hoax police reports, including calling in phony bomb threats to the FBI, the FCC, schools, malls and television stations, according to the Wichita Eagle. On occasion, he did this on behalf of others, including Casey Viner, 18, who enlisted Barriss to swat somebody with whom Viner played Call of Duty.

Viner had lost a reported $1.50 on a bet and had become enraged. He enlisted Barriss, who called police from California on December 28, 2017. Barriss pretended there was a hostage situation at the Wichita house that previously belonged to Viner’s Call of Duty enemy. When police arrived at the house, they encountered Andrew Finch, a new resident of the home.

As NPR reported at the time:

Officers soon flanked the house on three sides and readied themselves for a confrontation, Livingston said in his press conference. Finch appeared at the door to the house and, following verbal commands from the officers, stepped forward with his hands up. At numerous points, however, he reached for his waistband. Fearful that Finch was going for a firearm, an officer discharged one round, killing the father of two, said Livingston.
    That officer did not face charges. Earlier this year, Finch’s family filed a civil rights lawsuit against the city. Their lawyer cited the officers’ excessive force, the Wichita Eagle reported.

You can view the plea agreement here:

Elder Arcanist

20-25 years? Good! Wish it was more.

yea seems a bit short for what is essentially murder 1 by proxy. the sole reason to exist for SWAT is to shoot people dead, By swatting people you basically want em dead. In this case they did just that murdered a man in cold blood because its what SWAT does shoot first and pray there are no questions. "The call must be legit who cares if it came from VOIP and is probably fake"
    — Jerry Seinfeld