Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interesting Election Results

Forum Sorcerer

Re: Interesting Election Results

Quote Originally Posted by Eamin View Post
    It's never smart to bet that the people of Alabama are smarter and more upstanding than we tend to give them credit for, but I think I might be drifting in that direction. The polls are showing a pretty clear tightening of the race since the allegations came out, and I'd imagine a lot of his voters will become dejected by election day and not show up at the polls
    Trump won the election - I'm past believing in the American voter, especially one from the rural deep south.

America is basically two countries at this point, rural and urban - and never the twain shall meet.
    The more I learn the more I realize I have yet to learn.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

People are essentially the same wherever you go, and the powerful getting away with murder while the weak suffer is a running theme across this entire country. All this political baggage is just a distraction from that fact.

Mangina at large.

The Hannity/Keurig feud is over. Why? Who knows?

https://gizmodo.com/sean-hannity-set...way-1820446440

Elder Arcanist

A sign of the times we live in now... channel surfing earlier and at the top of the hour I happened to land on MSNBC. Their headline (quote): "The President of the United States has just endorsed an alleged child molester for Senator in Alabama"

When's that meteor due? Soon?

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by Khieran View Post
    A sign of the times we live in now... channel surfing earlier and at the top of the hour I happened to land on MSNBC. Their headline (quote): "The President of the United States has just endorsed an alleged child molester for Senator in Alabama"
    Par for the course:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ublican-party/

No prison can hold me!

Quote Originally Posted by PPatty View Post
    After last year's shit show I can't blame anyone for being skeptical and waiting for some actual proof before allowing media to influence their decision. I personally despise Moore from his bullshit on the bench, but that obviously forged yearbook signature and the fact that every allegation that has been made so far has been shot down by others and records, I can't go with that child molester claim. The Ds really need to do some better fact checking before they try this again. They are digging a hole they are going to be buried in next year.
    ------------------------------------------
    I *AM* the Chinpokomon master!

the problem is for the Ds, Moore's bullshit on the bench is not mud to be slung but polishing of silver to the people in Alabama. While to intelligent folks his bullshit of disobeying the SCOTUS would be an instant no vote, His disobeying the SCOTUS was over gay marriage and to the hicks that vote for him that meant he was putting up the good fight against those amoral urban folk.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by Schezar View Post
    After last year's shit show I can't blame anyone for being skeptical and waiting for some actual proof before allowing media to influence their decision.
    Actually reading the piece helps:

Quote Originally Posted by The 3rd paragraph of the thing
    The poll shows Republicans also oppose trying to remove Trump from office even if it was proved that he sexually harassed the women who have accused him. By a margin of 63 percent to 28 percent, Republicans say Trump should not be impeached even if we know for a fact that he sexually harassed women.

Elder Arcanist

I struggle with that question myself. The harassment was widely reported during the election, in a credible enough way that I'm not sure that having it "proved" would change the situation. So if you impeached him for it, you would be impeaching a president for a consideration that voters already used when they decided to elect him. I'm not saying that it would be necessarily wrong to impeach a president for an offense where that applied, but I think it maybe raises the level of the bar on what constitutes an impeachable offense.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Deabn View Post
    I struggle with that question myself. The harassment was widely reported during the election, in a credible enough way that I'm not sure that having it "proved" would change the situation. So if you impeached him for it, you would be impeaching a president for a consideration that voters already used when they decided to elect him. I'm not saying that it would be necessarily wrong to impeach a president for an offense where that applied, but I think it maybe raises the level of the bar on what constitutes an impeachable offense.
    Can Trump even be impeached for these sexual allegations? Since they occurred before him taking office? Would they have to be proven first?

He could certainly be impeached if some illegal stuff was to come from the Russia investigation, but so far, the investigation is focused on underlings (for now).

Bill Clinton wasn't impeached for having an affair. If I remember right, he was impeached for lying under oath to a federal grand jury and obstruction of justice.

Elder Arcanist

Good questions, I haven't looked into the law on it. Edit: I guess I'm speaking to more of a wishy washy "what seems right to me", with the thought that even if he meets the legal bar for an impeachment vote, those voting still get to consider "whats popular, what seems right to me."

He could certainly be impeached if some illegal stuff was to come from the Russia investigation, but so far, the investigation is focused on underlings (for now).
    My interpretation of some of the reporting is that they probably are already taking investigative steps to determine whether Trump's firing of Comey constitutes obstruction of justice.
    Last edited by Deabn; Yesterday at 11:30 AM.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Khieran View Post
    When's that meteor due? Soon?
    I guess I spoke too soon...

http://metro.co.uk/2017/11/22/a-huge...lypse-7098712/

Asteroid, not meteor... but close enough.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Deabn View Post
    Good questions, I haven't looked into the law on it. Edit: I guess I'm speaking to more of a wishy washy "what seems right to me", with the thought that even if he meets the legal bar for an impeachment vote, those voting still get to consider "whats popular, what seems right to me."

My interpretation of some of the reporting is that they probably are already taking investigative steps to determine whether Trump's firing of Comey constitutes obstruction of justice.
    I would think it would constitute Obstruction. Especially since he admitted that he fired Comey because of the investigation.

Ellsworth M. Toohey

A president can be impeached for anything or nothing at all, as long as enough lawmakers are for it. A sufficient number of votes is the only requirement.