Thread: WoW Classic

Elder Arcanist

WoW Classic

Wow... I thought this was something that they said would never, ever happen?

*edit* Been doing some more looking at this - looks like it's going to be a while. They are apparently just getting a team to work on it, but they seem committed to making it as vanilla as possible.
    Last edited by Khieran; November 4th, 2017 at 11:44 AM.

Mangina at large.

Re: WoW Classic

Has anyone fleshed out the details of how it would happen? Like, are old nerfs/buffs reverted, will old Naxx be the end or is it true base game, etc.? It feels like a "dying game trying to get people back" move, but if there's a market for it why not?

Elder Arcanist

During the last Blizzcon they talked about Legacy servers that would use the old world, but modern rulesets.

Tasty Danish

Quote Originally Posted by Delores Mulva View Post
    Has anyone fleshed out the details of how it would happen? Like, are old nerfs/buffs reverted, will old Naxx be the end or is it true base game, etc.? It feels like a "dying game trying to get people back" move, but if there's a market for it why not?
    J. Allen Brack had some comments about it in the Q&A - the person who asked the question about classic WoW, started out by saying "We think we do, and we do". Nice touch
    Quote Originally Posted by Q&A
    Q: Will exploits and bugs from Classic be fixed for the Classic servers?
    A: Turning to the community for answers. Team wants to recreate the experience as you remember it. They do not want bugs that cause crashes or severe issues, however. Should UBRS be 10 or 5 man?
    That last part is related to your Naxx question - seems like they're not clear on this just yet.
    I remember doing UBRS in a 10-man group while hung over on January 1st, 2006. Lots of fun
    "Silver bullet solutions are rare, silver bullet sales commonplace"

Mangina at large.

I'd think that UBRS would have to be ten man to capture the Classic experience, no? Although I really don't get people who are so hung up on that Classic experience. Enjoy running to those instances after assembling a group in Trade chat, only to have it disintegrate and the run end when someone has to go.

Turning to the community for answers.
    ...may not be the best idea. People get hurt when their ideas don't survive the "what should we do" process, and this is a server that needs everyone interested to stay interested. I think they should have put forward a potential ruleset/world, but made it clear that they were open to feedback and nothing was set in stone. One thing that has to stay: pre-nerf plague from the Zandalari raid!

Forum Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by Dawlin View Post
    I remember doing UBRS in a 10-man group while hung over on January 1st, 2006. Lots of fun
    I remember when you could still do UBRS in a raid group with well over 10 people but not get quest credit. Maybe that was still beta?

They have so incredibly many options for just exactly how vanilla to make it. I'll reserve judgment until seeing more.

Elder Arcanist

I've been predicting for 2 years now that WoW would release classic servers during Ragefire's Omens of War expansion, for the lulz.

Looks like I could end up being right.

Tasty Danish

Quote Originally Posted by Polynices View Post
    They have so incredibly many options for just exactly how vanilla to make it. I'll reserve judgment until seeing more.
    I'm not a huge Vanilla fan - but once they get it rolling, I'll create a Warlock to re-create my earliest WoW memories.
    Nostalgia for the days that I feel like nostalgia.

But, like you said: "Vanilla" is... what? There will ALWAYS be people who say "noooooooo, you can't do this!". The MMO-champion board dedicated to the Classic server is already chest-deep in mudslinging.
    Last edited by Dawlin; November 5th, 2017 at 01:15 PM.
    "Silver bullet solutions are rare, silver bullet sales commonplace"

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

I won't be playing. I don't have time for grinding and really can't play any game that can't be paused or requires substantial periods of uninterrupted play time. But I did stand up a cMangos virtual machine just to play around. Even as fast-paced as the game is compared to Everquest (and with a generally higher skill ceiling despite being more forgiving and "ezmode" in some ways), after years of going back to single-player games it struck me how much padding, timesinks, and repetitive gameplay there is in WoW.

Mangina at large.

The early development of the game was strongly influenced by EQ. The game didn't become modern WoW until the Sunwell patch in TBC, when they really embraced the "serious and casual paths" model. (A model they've more recently left, to the game's detriment imo.)