Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Battle for Azeroth

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Re: Battle for Azeroth

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    Go Fever is why there are so few people willing to take on tanking as new tanks in this game. They want to blast through the instance as quickly as possible they will never really let someone learn the ropes, And then they go to the forums and complain about the lack of tanks.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. The few times I've seen tanks not haul ass or otherwise be perfect they have been flamed pretty mercilessly. I personally find it intimidating because a tank generally needs to be the most knowledgeable in the group, and I'm still playing catch up in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Polynices View Post
    I absolutely loathe the "innovation" of mythic+ mode where you're rewarded for going as fast as possible. That's a garbage playstyle that shouldn't be rewarded IMO.
    I sort of respect the intent, having seen it in other games (like Destiny). I sort of expect mythic+ to be a toxic land mine so it's the one thing I don't intend to touch any time soon, but I would expect it to be more about efficiency than speed itself. Even so, I see no reason why that should bleed into normal or even heroic.

I think the real problem is that the game is forced to cater to power gamers. People who blow through all the content in a couple days and then complain that there isn't more. It's half the reason why the game is so grindy. Sure leveling itself is easy, but there is a ton of other stuff that will take most people forever to do, all just to slow down the ultra hard core.

The end result is that people have to do certain activities so many times to reach whatever goal or milestone they might that they gradually develop intolerance for anyone who is less than perfect. They resent anyone or anything that wastes a single second of their time.

I do love the expansion in general. The single-player content is great. But they're continuing to lock story behind mythic dungeon runs (the big finale of the main story requires finishing a mythic-only dungeon) and make dungeon achievements off-limits to more casual players. Blech.
    I just got to that point myself. I was really happy with the Jaina story, though I wish there was a ton more of it. I've got no idea if what comes after the mythic dungeon is substantial or not.

This is related to another gripe of mine. Forget mythic dungeons, having significant story content in raids and even normal dungeons themselves is crazy. Most of the players running these activities do not care, and those that do will be screwed over by it. And yet Blizzard keeps doing it. Legion itself even had cutscenes within these instances, which is just laughably cruel. You have to skip them or you will be left behind at best and kicked at the worst. It's such a newb trap. I guess in Battle for Azeroth they thought they could get away with having the npcs chatter while you fight things, but I don't have the spare thought processes to pay attention to them so I still have no idea what is going on.

I want two things. 1) Story mode dungeons that don't drop loot but let me see wtf is going on. 2) A way to filter casual and tryhard groups, so that people who don't know the dungeon are given the opportunity to learn it at a reasonable pace. This is what normal mode should be, but in practice it is not. I'm also not sure it's reasonable to expect first timers to go through the premade group tool just to do content for the first time.

Edit: I lied, I want 3 things. 3) Warcraft 4 baby, give it to me.

As a side note, my ilevel is pretty high from grinding World Quests trying to unlock Dark Iron dwarves, so I went ahead and tried the mythic dungeon. It's pretty tough but more fun than some of the heroics I've done. Sadly our dps was undergeared and we couldn't beat the last boss. It took 90 minutes and I'm not sure when I'm going to have the energy to try that again, especially with the high chance of getting a less chill group.
    Last edited by Wool; September 1st, 2018 at 04:44 PM.

Well how about getting nightborn unlocked you have to do Emerald Nightmare. All well and good sure but I was not active during legion and my DH cannot solo normal EN. Blizzard stupidly shuts off legion lfr the moment you tick 111.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    Well how about getting nightborn unlocked you have to do Emerald Nightmare. All well and good sure but I was not active during legion and my DH cannot solo normal EN. Blizzard stupidly shuts off legion lfr the moment you tick 111.
    More than likely they will add an LFR NPC once actual 120 LFR opens, the way they have previously.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Might could also use the premade group finder tool to join a transmog run group. Emerald Nightmare is pretty easy. Only real drawbacks are that you can't queue for specific boss wings this way and that you will get less people than you would have in LFR. Some of those will be 120s though so it will probably even out.

I agree it's dumb though. A lot of the design in this game revolves around whoever is max level at the moment, but when new content goes out they don't readjust the old to flow in a more sensible way. So many dungeons only unlock at each expansion's level cap for example, at which point you are going to moving on to the next expansion instead. It's dumb.

The first batch of allied races is basically Legion content that they used to sell BFA pre-orders and get people playing in the months up to its launch.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Can confirm that a short but significant story bit occurs after you beat the Mythic dungeon. I got lucky and found a group on the last boss that needed a healer. Tough fight, first time I've come close to being out of mana (on the monk) since coming back to WoW.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

So the first raid, Uldir, went live this week. We knew this was coming, it was penciled in on the in-game calendar, but what I didn't know was that the first Warfront was coming in this patch as well. This was the new pve mode that is supposed to be a throwback to the RTS games. This is part of why I started playing again, but I am skeptical. Flying over the zone it looks like any other outdoor conquest pvp zone, without the pvp I suppose. Pretty amusing to see that a giant Horde base sprung up out of nowhere though. I sort of assumed Stromgarde itself would change hands depending on who was attacking and defending each week. I didn't expect both sides to get huge bases staring at each other from 500 yards away.

Horde gets to go first, which makes sense, while Alliance get first access to the zone quests and rares. I don't have much interest for farming toys and pets personally and the groups running the raid boss were ridiculously picky. I'm just short of being able to run Uldir if I wanted to, and it still took me what seemed like an hour of being rejected to finally get in a group. Really wanted to have a Horde character ready for this but never got around to it.
    Last edited by Wool; September 6th, 2018 at 11:02 AM.

Elder Arcanist

EmergencyAZ #35: BLIZZARD hit the PANIC BUTTON !!

Elder Arcanist

A little over the top, but he has a point.
    'This world may be another planet's hell.'{Aldous Huxley}
    'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'{Aldous Huxley}

Mangina at large.

Yeah, the "HOW DARE YOU EXPLOIT US" is nuts. But it does show a bit of desperation re: sub numbers that they're taking the sort of mount that could normally be sold in the store as a standalone (I laugh that it's a flying model mount for the game that doesn't allow flying mounts in current content until the final patch of that expansion) and instead bundling it with gametime to try and sell sub numbers. I've been following along with MMO-Champ and the Reddit page for WoW, and I saw a lot of complaining, but didn't know how much of it was real and how much was Internet. This makes me think there may actually be a strong dropoff, as potentially shown by the plummeting token price (as opposed to the originally-speculated "everyone wants gold").

How are you folks enjoying the expansion? I don't see a lot of chatter here about it like in the past, and I didn't know if that's because you're too busy doing it to talk about it, if it's because our user numbers have dropped, or if the expansion is a bit of a dud. What's going on in-game?

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Delores Mulva View Post
    How are you folks enjoying the expansion? I don't see a lot of chatter here about it like in the past, and I didn't know if that's because you're too busy doing it to talk about it, if it's because our user numbers have dropped, or if the expansion is a bit of a dud. What's going on in-game?
    It's possible more people have moved away from the game.

Dale and I haven't "expanded" this time around.

Forum Sorcerer

How are you folks enjoying the expansion?
    It's really delightful for a couple weeks. The single-player content is superb and the zone design is great but you pretty quickly hit a wall of infinitesimal progression if you don't have the time to run mythic keystones or non-LFR raids. They stupidly put decent crafted gear behind a wall of endless mythics or real raids despite the best crafted gear being worse than what drops in that content anyway. I have no idea why Blizzard is allergic to casual players benefiting from the crafting system for more than leveling gear or alts.

My bear tank is sitting at ilvl 354 after just quests and heroics and a couple mythics. I don't have time for real raids and I almost never have the patience or energy for PUG keystone mythics. I'll keep subscribing because I'm fortunate to have the cost of WoW be trivial for me but I could easily see someone dropping their sub until the next patch if the cost of a sub is any sort of concern for them.
    Last edited by Polynices; Yesterday at 12:27 PM.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Didn't watch the whole video. Seems kind of overblown. Like, it's only predatory because you are acting like prey in the first place kind of overblown. If you think about the things you have done in WoW and think of the things you still want to do, will that content lasts you six months? No? Then don't buy this. I lamented not having a flying skyship just a few weeks ago, but I know I don't have 6 months left in me, so I'm not going to buy this. It's really not that difficult a decision to make.

After having come back after years there are so many instances of "oh that's a cool mount, how do I.... oh it's not available anymore" and so many real money mounts, I just cannot fathom how I'm supposed to be outraged over a desperation move by Blizzard. I can't decide if I'm surprised by this or not by the way. This kind of dropoff seems pretty normal for mmos in my opinion, and Blizzard took too long to release the warfronts which is really the only casual content left to do once the story is done.

They stupidly put decent crafted gear behind a wall of endless mythics or real raids despite the best crafted gear being worse than what drops in that content anyway. I have no idea why Blizzard is allergic to casual players benefiting from the crafting system for more than leveling gear or alts.
    Amen to this. I saw some usefulness from leatherworking when I was fresh into the expansion. Mobs didn't get any easier though with the way scaling seems to work, but that's a different issue altogether. Anyway when I hit 120 I was excited for the boost in power that was sure to come from having hoarded so many materials for the past 10 levels.

There was not a single thing worth crafting that I could craft, and the slots you can craft for? I got better while working on reputation unlocks. I at least made use of the weapon crafts as the game stubbornly refused to give me any as drops or quest rewards so it wasn't a complete wash, but man was that disappointing. It's not even like I wanted raid quality gear right away, but I did want to be prepared before doing dungeons in earnest. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I ever got anything worthwhile from dungeons either.

(I laugh that it's a flying model mount for the game that doesn't allow flying mounts in current content until the final patch of that expansion)
    What made me laugh is all the people that bought this, and then just lingered around high traffic areas just to be noticed. A lot of the time when people do this it can be easy to overlook, but there were quite a few positioning themselves at eye level upon leaving the mage tower in Stormwind for example, or just lingering in front of inns that people like to bind to.

as potentially shown by the plummeting token price (as opposed to the originally-speculated "everyone wants gold").
    Token price had plummeted at the very beginning of the expansion, before drop off would even be a thing. This makes me think the casual players that play for a month and quit are not the ones that buy WoW gold. They are probably like me and try to get what they want themselves, but then quit when they realize it's all a stupid grind. I already paid my $15 after all, I'm not giving you more.

I've been giving regular updates so this question might not apply to me, but I'm going to answer anyway.

I unlocked Dark Iron Dwarves and am currently rotating alts to take advantage of resting experience and prevent myself from getting too bored by leveling content I've already seen. Haven't been doing the actual expansion content aside from emissaries for inevitable Kul Tiran race and flying unlocks. I don't think I ever talked about it, but I also got my necklace up to level 21, which is all I needed to unlock all the powers on my artifact gear. (ignoring the reputation boosts) Was running heroics for awhile until I realized my gear was better than what drops from heroics.

I also wanted to play through the Horde storyline, but I'm starting to feel fatigue and I'm not sure I'm going to make it that far. Considered using my boost but I don't really want to waste it.

Alliance side finally gets to try the warfront. Maybe I will tonight.
    Last edited by Wool; Yesterday at 03:56 PM.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

As a bit of an aside, Blizzard has announced what will be coming in the next major content patch:

- Darkshore as the next warfront

- Continued War Campaign storyline

- Incursions, the BfA equivalent to Legion invasions (timed world quests you can level alts in)

- New character storylines for Saurfang, Tyrande, and spoiler?

- Two new raids:

- The Siege of Zuldazar, which will be different based on what faction you are playing as, and

- Crucible of Storms, a two boss raid that takes place in Stormsong

- Two new island expeditions. They mentioned wanting to refine the design so that it's not just about spreading across the entire island looking for mobs

- They've announced racial heritage armor will be for more than just allied races, and dwarves and blood elves get the first pass

Mangina at large.

So if you don't organized raid, the content patch is a little thin on content? (I'm judging based on what people have said about the value of the Arathi warfront and island expeditions.)

Elder Arcanist

RANT: Battle for Azeroth One-Month Review | TradeChat