Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Battle for Azeroth

Elder Arcanist

Re: Battle for Azeroth

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

WoW is having their anniversary celebration. Blizzard has given every character 200 timewalking badges and a new toy you can spend them on: goggles that turn all npcs and players into corgis. Yes, it's even more amazing than you think. Unfortunately it only lasts 10 minutes and doesn't work on opposite faction players.

You also get a reusable item that gives 14% exp and reputation for the duration of the event. Not sure if that is normal or not.

Elder Arcanist

BATTLE FOR AZEROTH Patch 8.1: Does it Significantly Improve BFA ??

Elder Arcanist

Why You SHOULDN'T Come Back For 8.1... And Why You Should: The Pros And Cons Of Tides Of Vengeance

Elder Arcanist

Mangina at large.

The worst one has to be the updated model for Smoochums, which went from a cute ghostly persian cat to a generic ghost cat model. My inner pet collector winced when I saw that.

Elder Arcanist

According to Petopia the second BM pet now responds to pet play dead and receives pet healing.

Elder Arcanist

So far three CTDs while on flightpaths...

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Some good changes in this patch, though I could have personally used some of this stuff months ago. You get a ton of faction reputation for the new activities and new quests, but I've already unlocked those races.

Heritage quests were okay, about the same as allied race quests. Lots of pointless running around so that the 5 minutes of interesting race themed story lasts longer. Darkshore questlines were pretty cool, though nothing too impressive overall. They added a lot more war campaign quests than I expected (three lines per faction, I expected one) and those war campaign quests were very good. Horde in particular was a step up from the boring Forsaken lapdog feel of the previous ones.

New Darkshore warfront is good, though I think people playing on the test realm might have talked it up a bit. It's not radically different, just a streamlined version of the Arathi system. What's interesting is how they chose to differentiate it. Rather than make it more challenging they actually acquiesced to how most players actually behave. Almost no one ever actually wants to gather resources, and now it's almost completely passive. All of the bases are also closer together so defending them is easier while the brunt of the team face smashes the "towers" at the end.

Only did one invasion or incursion or whatever they call it, but it was on a 120 so I didn't see if they are a good way of leveling like the Legion versions are. It was neat, about what you might expect. It's kind of funny, if you play with war mode off anywhere else you will end up doing the same world quests as the other faction and basically teaming up with them. Here the world quests are different, so you will be fighting the enemy faction npcs while the other side does the same right next to you. I bet these are a blood bath with War Mode turned on.

Elder Arcanist

The Story of Nathanos Blightcaller - Part 1 [Lore]

Mangina at large.

8.1.5 is going to bring a familiar real-world face to Azeroth: Stan Lee.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/world-of-war...-of-1831653180

Elder Arcanist

Hati's Aftermath Questline - 8.1.5 PTR Build 29220

There are screenshots of all six Hati skins. There are also Hati specific toys being added...

Mangina at large.

The 2018 Q4 earnings call was today: https://www.mmo-champion.com/content...ll-and-Layoffs

8% of staff laid off after "record results", so they can up the development staff by 20% in the near future (no major releases in 2019).

The "so long and thanks for all the fish" message from the boss: https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/bliz...-j-allen-brack

The best satire of the situation so far: https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/b...ing-pink-slip/

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

It always sucks when someone loses their job, but 8% seems pretty low comparatively to me.

Mangina at large.

That's 8% of the entire company, all concentrated in the non-development parts of the company. For example, one Hearthstone CM (Zeriyah) talked on Twitter about her entire department getting hit. This is someone who has lived and breathed the company even before she was employed by them: won the 2010 Blizzcon cosplay contest, had multiple finals appearances in other years, even married an (at the time) Hearthstone streamer. Another person in her CM group had just posted a picture of his ten year shield from Blizzard on his personal Twitter a few weeks ago. This also comes when a lot of their games are facing generally unhappy player bases, when community managers are most needed. Instead, the company is trying to jump-start production of new shiny toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Delores Mulva View Post
    That's 8% of the entire company, all concentrated in the non-development parts of the company. For example, one Hearthstone CM (Zeriyah) talked on Twitter about her entire department getting hit. This is someone who has lived and breathed the company even before she was employed by them: won the 2010 Blizzcon cosplay contest, had multiple finals appearances in other years, even married an (at the time) Hearthstone streamer. Another person in her CM group had just posted a picture of his ten year shield from Blizzard on his personal Twitter a few weeks ago. This also comes when a lot of their games are facing generally unhappy player bases, when community managers are most needed. Instead, the company is trying to jump-start production of new shiny toys.
    The problem is in today's world "record results" just is not enough for the investors, They will want even better results for 2019 because unfortunately "Hey we are really profitable just like last year" is not enough anymore.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

All I'm saying is video game companies that get put through restructuring by suits are usually far more drastic. Either this isn't the last we will hear of this, or they haven't yet been completely consumed by the standard video game company business model that we all fear. Look forward to layoffs immediately after every product ships.

Quote Originally Posted by Delores Mulva View Post
    This also comes when a lot of their games are facing generally unhappy player bases, when community managers are most needed. Instead, the company is trying to jump-start production of new shiny toys.
    I'm not going to say this is wrong, but it is also very cyclical. Company makes less money than they have in the past so is forced to try a different strategy. Existing fans don't like strategy and stop supporting company. Company makes less money in the past and is forced to try a different strategy.

It's almost as if there is a peak at which you are no longer able to satisfy your user base, and the only alternative is to crash and burn for awhile before (hopefully) recovering once expectations are normalized again.

Mangina at large.

Quote Originally Posted by Wool
    Company makes less money than they have in the past so is forced to try a different strategy. Existing fans don't like strategy and stop supporting company. Company makes less money in the past and is forced to try a different strategy.
    I'd be on board with this if Blizzard hadn't just announced "record results". This is more about keeping future revenues strong enough to support high dividends, to shore up the stock price (which has slid badly in recent months). As for satisfying people, the most damning thing I keep reading about WoW is "I would have been happy if they'd just repeated Legion".

I am going to say that I have started to level through BFA on an alliance character and honestly I forgot how much better looking overall a lot of alliance places are. Blizzard should use more Blood Elf design on the Horde side.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist

How The Light Will Consume the Alliance