Thread: Lujac and the Dog

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Lujac and the Dog

Lujac stood on a green lawn, looking at the dog. To his right stood the house Lujac had grown up in, its reassuring stone and timber facade as familiar as his own hands. He could smell his mother's latke baking.

The dog came closer, cautiously, its head and tail down, a soft whine erupting from its throat. Lujac reached into his pocket, and found a bit of bread. He offered the dog the treat.

"It's all right, girl, I forgive you. You didn't mean it, they made you do it. Here, take this."

She swallowed the proffered bit of bread, then pressed her head against his hand. He ruffled her ears, patted her head, and then he looked around until he spotted a small twig nearby. He tossed the stick, and the dog retrieved it.

They continued in this manner for a while, until the Sun set.

Suddenly, it was dark, and Lujac lay on a harshly rough paved road, beneath blinding lights, in a roil of shadows. Above him stood two men in military uniforms, and at Lujac's throat was the dog. One of the men held a Kalishnikov at his hip, the strap over his shoulder like a student's book bag. The other man was holding a strip of leather attached to a chain folded in his right hand, and he was shouting.

"Get that filthy Defector, Katje! Tear him up!" shouted Boris, gripping Katje's leash excitedly. When the Defector's struggles had finally ceased, and he lay dead, Boris clipped the leash back onto Katje's collar, praising her for a job well done.

"Good dog, good Katje!" Boris and Sgt. Luvenko returned to the other side of the Wall through the open and guarded sally port. Sgt. Luvenko went left and returned to the barracks, and Boris and Katje went straight ahead to the Kennels. He locked Katje into her kennel, and then he followed Sgt Luvenko's path to the Barracks.

Katje rested her head on her paws, and fell asleep. She dreamed she was on a lawn, looking at a man. To her left was a house. The man was familiar, and Katje felt a terrible guilt when she caught his familiar scent. She came closer, in a submissive canine posture. Then the man reached in his pocket, and took out a bit of brown bread, offering it to her.

"It's all right, girl, I forgive you. You didn't mean it, they made you do it. Here, take this."

She swallowed the proffered bit of bread, then pressed her head against his hand. He ruffled her ears, patted her head, and then he looked around until he spotted a small twig nearby. He tossed the stick, and the dog retrieved it.

They continued in this manner for a while, until the Sun set.
    Last edited by Alikat Astrae; October 17th, 2017 at 09:50 PM.

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Re: Lujac and the Dog

Holy shit, that was awesome.

Well played.
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Thanks Merrick. I was thinking about dogs yesterday morning, and this daydream drifted through my mind for a few seconds and I had to write it down so you guys could see how entertaining my daydreams are. This is why I don't need my smartphone to entertain me when I'm standing in a line!

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

I really ought to write more of mine down. I suck at writing and it's hard to type fast enough to get the details down, even in a non-coherent fashion, to later turn it into a cohesive tale.

So much as staring at "randomly" patterned corporate wallpapering while standing at the urinal is enough to start the stories, sometimes it even seems like the stuff moves, if it's the right soft of "abstract patterned" stuff.

Same reason I also don't generally listen to music unless I'm driving and trying to take my mind off of the tedium of traffic. There are veritable symphonies going through my head at any time.

I can't remember the last time I was well and truly bored. It's a neat skill to have.
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

I had another one this morning, it was a daydream about a movie that's "Aliens" except it was from the Aliens' perspective. It had forced subtitles over their chittering sounds. Essentially, a colony on a faraway world is harvesting food animals to grow the colony when the arrival of a contingent of soldier class versions of the food animals arrives, and devastates the colony. The POV character is a specific drone-class Alien that pops out of the first food animal's chest. It ends not at the point where the Queen is blasted into space, but later, in a shot of the POV character standing over Ripley's cryotube on the Sulaco. Rising triumphant music swells as the credits roll.